Rumors of a possible RD-800 re-call spawned by this.

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
kempus

Re: Rumors of a possible RD-800 re-call spawned by this.

Post by kempus »

I queried Roland UK yesterday and they replied that the "solution" should hopefully be tested and approved by the end of May. It sounded very much like a fob off as there are only 3 days left in May!"

Still waiting...

Tim
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Latest e-mail from Roland UK, received Friday 30th July

We are pleased to announce that our solution to the previously stated safety issue has been fully approved by the necessary authorities. The solution consists of a replacement AC power cord that is fixed in such a way as to prevent any improper connection to the XLR output socket on the back panel of your RD-800.

In order to ensure the continued safe operation of your RD-800, it is important that this modification is fitted to your RD-800. As an improper connection can damage your RD-800, we ask that you do not use, resell it, or attempt to resell your RD-800 until the modification has been fitted.

To facilitate the modification of your RD-800, we propose the following two options:

1. Return your RD-800 to the dealer where it was purchased from. Your RD-800 will either be modified at the dealer’s store or sent to an authorised service centre.

2. An authorised Roland representative will visit you and fit the modification on site.

Please contact us by telephone or by email at customers@roland.co.uk to let us know which method you prefer. Please do not contact the dealer direct as we need to arrange for the parts to be sent should you choose this option. Please make sure that you provide your serial number when contacting us.

Naturally there will be no charge for this service. In addition, we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding by offering you a further two years extension to your product warranty making a total of 5 years warranty from the date of purchase. To take us up on this offer, please arrange to have your modification fitted within 60 days of receiving this letter.

Your trust and faith in Roland products is extremely important to us. Once again, we sincerely apologise for any disappointment and inconvenience that this situation may have caused.
S-E-A

Post by S-E-A »

Proving that you make something idiot proof, along comes a better class of idiot..
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Following the above notification from Roland UK regarding the fix, I asked them to clarify if the new mains lead could be detached from the keyboard to allow for transportation.

I have had received clear confirmation from Roland UK that the new cable is permanently fixed to the keyboard.

This presents 2 major issues;

1. When moving this 22 kg keyboard around, there will be a trailing lead, with a wall plug on the end. This presents its own set of risks, and makes setup more difficult, which is why all keyboards of this class have detachable leads.

2. As the lead is now going to share the keybag or case in which the keyboard is transported, it is likely that the wall plug will cause some damage to the instrument.

Maybe the lead is detachable by removing a couple of screws securing the clamp, but as Roland won't say (maybe for legal reasons), I'm not going to take the risk, and going to decline their proposed fix, as I consider it impractical for a keyboard of this size.

Whilst I love my RD-800, I think the whole safety fiasco is an overreaction, and the fix not thought through.

Signed
One disappointed Roland customer
howardS

Post by howardS »

That seems like a silly solution to a problem they created when they changed the type of power cable they use. That said. bgiles, it's probably worth doing the "fix" in order to get the extra 2 year warranty. Also, I wonder what would happen if you didn't let them do the fix and then you have any issue related to power such any spike that hurts any internal parts....they might try to suggest that it could have been due to incorrectly plugging it in and had you done the fix you would have avoided it.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

howardS wrote:It's probably worth doing the "fix" in order to get the extra 2 year warranty. Also, I wonder what would happen if you didn't let them do the fix and then you have any issue related to power such any spike that hurts any internal parts....they might try to suggest that it could have been due to incorrectly plugging it in and had you done the fix you would have avoided it.
Having the power lead permanently attached to the keyboard will make it akin to moving a CRT TV with a captive mains lead. It was tricky enough, without that lead trailing behind trying to trip you up.

I'm sure I won't be alone in not wanting to have this arrangement.

I already have the warranty extended to 5 years by the dealer, it's on a UPS with surge protection, so I guess unless I do something stupid, it will still be honoured, but am going to ask nonetheless.

What a silly and overprotective world we live in, so much so, people are not made to think any more.
If only it wasn't so, 'Natural Selection' could get on with her job.
howardS

Post by howardS »

bgiles wrote::
What a silly and overprotective world we live in, so much so, people are not made to think any more.
If only it wasn't so, 'Natural Selection' could get on with her job.
Reminds me of the Louis CK video ..Of Course But Maybe
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

I fully endorse 'Warnings', which should be sufficient in most cases, but when it's 'Restrictions' that are put in place to prevent someone doing something stupid, we've gone to far.

Roland providing a 'Warning' sticker indicating when the mains lead is plugged in would have been sufficient, if users choose to ignore it when setting up their keyboard, then they should be responsible for the consequences, not Roland.

What we now have is a 'Restriction', with its implications, that affects all users, including those who would never 'Accidentally' plug the mains lead into the XLR socket.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Roland Canada are the first to confirm on the forums that they would honour a warranty claim for any normal warranty situation, except somebody undoing the modification and then connecting the AC cable to the XLR Outputs, and doing damage as a result of disregarding the warning sticker now affixed above the clamp.

I have had a similar response e-mail response from Roland UK after declining to have the modification fitted.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Thanks to Marko in Boston for advising that the Roland RD-800 has officially been recalled in the USA.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/Recall-A ... al-Pianos/

And also on the Roland US site, where further documentation can be download, including the installation procedure for self install. There are FOUR stickers and a ladder clamp to be fitted.
http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/.

There are also 'Thank-you' offers, but owners will have to either have the modification fitted for them, or complete a form with photo to confirm it has been carried out.

The 'Storage Method' shown in the installation instructions confirms my suspicion that the modification may well have transportation implications for many users.
Chesso

Post by Chesso »

I received my new RD-800 and notice that they have now permanently fastened the power cord to the unit - which is fine but it now means that it won't fit in the flight case - so that mod is coming off.
A better question to Roland would be why have they gone to this style of connector in the first place?
I have loads of IEC power cables knocking around and, if you ever turn up to play somewhere and you've forgotten your power cable, you can always find one of the IEC cables to borrow - and there's no way you could ever jam it into an XLR socket.
I only have one other piece of kit with this type of connector on it - I guess I'm going to have to make doubly sure I carry my power cord with me at all times.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Has anyone received their remedy kit and completed the fix?
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

In the UK, Roland have contacted registered owners to arrange for the modification to be fitted.
Unlike the US, I don't think UK owners have been given the option to fit the kit themselves, even if it is simple.

I personally have declined to have the modification fitted, having already confirmed to Roland that I will not hold them liable if I mis-connect the product.

RD-800's in the UK are being shipped with the modification already fitted.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Well, ordered the remedy kit and had it delivered within a few days. Included a nice Roland tote as a "Thanks for fixing it yourself" gesture I guess. Had the modification completed in under five minutes. It took longer than that to fill out the form, take a picture, and email the two as proof of completion. All done.