Rumors of a possible RD-800 re-call spawned by this.

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
piaknowguy

Rumors of a possible RD-800 re-call spawned by this.

Post by piaknowguy »

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1307/features/

Scroll down the page. Do people really attempt to stick a trapezoid-shaped peg into a round hole? And if so, wouldn't a plastic XLR cap be a simple solution? (or glasses?) 8-)

bgiles

Re: Rumors of a possible RD-800 re-call spawned by this.

Post by bgiles »

piaknowguy wrote: Do people really attempt to stick a trapezoid-shaped peg into a round hole? And if so, wouldn't a plastic XLR cap be a simple solution? (or glasses?) 8-)
I actually suggested to Roland UK that they could consider supplying a couple of sprung covers over the two XLR's when I received my notification about the safety issue. They said they had forwarded this suggestion to Roland in Japan for consideration. These could be retro fitted using the existing screws.

Roland's initial proposed fix was to supply a special mains lead that is clamped to the keyboard so as not to reach the XLR sockets (for those people who don't look what they are plugging in, and where).

The replacement lead was due to be issued 21st April, but no sign of it yet, maybe they are having a rethink.

I personally have no safety concerns, but Roland must be seen to address this just in case.

I suppose the mistake was moving away from a IEC (kettle) power connector, as was used on earlier models.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

piaknowguy wrote:…Do people really attempt to stick a trapezoid-shaped peg into a round hole?
I can't imagine anyone so foolish to do that.

Not a soul.

No one.
Shocking!.jpg
Shocking!.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
Fubarable

Post by Fubarable »

Any word on when the recall will be lifted?
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Fubarable wrote:Any word on when the recall will be lifted?
Doing a quick web search shows very limited availability of the RD-800, but some dealers do have it in stock.

Still not sure if it's been officially recalled...

Received a 'recorded delivery' letter from Roland UK (Swansea) on 16th April advising of the possible safety issue and the proposed solution.

On 21st April, I received the following e-mail from Roland UK
RD-800 Stage Piano - Potential Safety Risk

Further to our previous communication, we are writing to advise that following additional tests, we now consider there to be a greater degree of risk attached to a possible misconnection of your RD-800.

With normal use, there is nothing to be concerned about. However, when connecting the AC power cord to the back of the piano, it is possible to mistakenly insert the power cord onto two pins of the adjacent XLR output socket. This can damage the RD-800's jack board, main board and power board and there is also a risk of electrical shock if you were to touch any metallic part of the piano (or any other connected metal part, such as cables or a microphone connected to a mixer etc.).

We will send the previously advised counter measures to you as soon as they become available. This is currently scheduled to be around the end of April 2014. In the meantime, we ask you to stop using your RD-800. We acknowledge that our request may pose a problem to you due to your musical activities, and we are happy to assist you with this. Please call the Dealer where you purchased the RD-800 and he will be happy to supply you with a temporary replacement piano if necessary.

We sincerely apologise for the situation and hope that we can count on your understanding as we take measures to ensure that no consumer will be exposed to any safety risk. We thank you in advance for your understanding and co-operation.
I have no intention to stop using my RD-800, and would consider myself very stupid not to look where I am plugging a mains cable into a £2,000 keyboard, but Roland need to address this for those people who don't look.
Fubarable

Post by Fubarable »

bgiles wrote:Still not sure if it's been officially recalled...
I can verify that in the USA, it most definitely has been recalled. I've seen on other sites where folks from several stores mention this, mention that they have stock, but they're not allowed to even display it. My searches here have shown that it cannot be purchased by any reputable dealer. A pity.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

What a shame, 'Health and Safety' gone mad!!
The RD-800 has a 2 pin IEC (60320) C8 male inlet connector to accept a C7 female plug, whereas earlier RD's used the 3 pin C14/13 connectors, which won't plug into anything else.

I see there is now a warning on Roland's website for each country, which includes a comment like the following ...
Please be assured that we have had no reports of any consumer experiencing electrical shock or any other kind of injury and, under normal use, when connected properly there is no risk of electric shock.
What has happen to good old common sense when using electrical products, i.e always treat with respect and care.

Checking the UK official recall site, the Roland RD-800 is not listed, so maybe in the UK it's a precautionary measure.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Fubarable wrote:I can verify that in the USA, it most definitely has been recalled. I've seen on other sites where folks from several stores mention this, mention that they have stock, but they're not allowed to even display it. My searches here have shown that it cannot be purchased by any reputable dealer. A pity.
Since when? I ordered mine from an authorized dealer on Friday (16th) without any mention of this. I'll have it this week. Also, mid last week I played it in a local showroom at a national authorized dealer as well with no mention of a recall from the sales associate. There is no recall in the U.S. as far as I can tell.
Fubarable

Post by Fubarable »

spottingjonah wrote:Since when? I ordered mine from an authorized dealer on Friday (16th) without any mention of this. I'll have it this week. Also, mid last week I played it in a local showroom at a national authorized dealer as well with no mention of a recall from the sales associate. There is no recall in the U.S. as far as I can tell.
Interesting...
Just now I did a search on several online and store sites including Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, Zzounds, Guitar Center, Kraft Music, Sweetwater, and Gary Gand's in Chicago, and none of them, not one has this keyboard in stock nor any knowledge of if or when one is coming available. I also have conversed with a Roland representative on the pianoworld.com forum who confirms the recall.

Where exactly are you buying your keyboard from?
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Soon to be released by Neutrik, the SCCD-W sprung XLR sealing cover.
NeutrikSCCD-W
NeutrikSCCD-W
NeutrikSCCD-W.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
The XLR's on the RD-800 are at 30mm centres, unfortunately the SCCD-W is 35.7mm wide, so won't quite fit.
However, this is the kind of thing Roland could supply to end users, and if the internal nuts securing the connectors are captive (which I imagine they are), users could retrofit them themselves.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I would prefer if they went back to the IEC connector types. I have a gazillion of them and keep spares around in case someone shows up to a gig and needs one for his/her amp, keyboard or other gear. Why do we need a new AC connector? Nice try, Roland but since you are recalling the boards could you please go back to the IEC's.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Whilst going back to 3 pin IEC (60320) C14/13 connectors would be the ideal solution, I'm not sure how practical it would be...
The existing C7 connector may well be soldered straight onto the power PCB, so along with the rear panel to which it fixes, may require a major redesign if they were to change it.
I think it's more likely that Roland will come up with a solution that can be easily retro-fitted to all the RD-800's, either in stock or out in the field.
I'm still waiting so see what they end up supplying.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hey bgiles, good point that it not be the cheapest solution. It will be interesting to see what Roland ends up doing with this recall. It's got to be hurting them to have pulled it from so many stores.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Fubarable wrote:Just now I did a search on several online and store sites including Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, Zzounds, Guitar Center, Kraft Music, Sweetwater, and Gary Gand's in Chicago, and none of them, not one has this keyboard in stock nor any knowledge of if or when one is coming available. I also have conversed with a Roland representative on the pianoworld.com forum who confirms the recall.

Where exactly are you buying your keyboard from?
Did you contact Roland directly to verify this? I did, and there is no "recall". They seem to be delaying shipment of new stock until they get a solution for blind people wrapped up (Probably a bright warning sticker LOL), but existing stock is still for sale. If you are seriously interested in one, contact Pro Audio Star. They still had one left after they shipped mine out. Mine will be here Friday, :-)
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Still no sign of the replacement parts to address the safety issue, these were anticipated a month ago.
Have any RD-800 owners received anything other that e-mails or letters?