ROLAND RD700nx Hanging Welcome Display

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
jmvmflywheel7

ROLAND RD700nx Hanging Welcome Display

Post by jmvmflywheel7 »

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Roland RD700nx which I have just bought last April 28, 2013. When I turn on the power switch, what would appear in the display is only the "ROLAND" and nothing else. It seems to "hang". It happened many times before but when I do the "turn off-turn on" several times, it turns on normally afterwards. I thought it was just a power problem from our electrical source since the keyboard requires 230Volts and our line provides only 220Volts. But for almost a month, this keyboard of mine doesn't turn on completely. I've brought the unit to the store where I bought it but the assigned technician doesn't have any experience yet with a similar unit and the problem to troubleshoot. My unit is already at version 2 when I purchased it. I have never been moving my unit from one place to another. I've also saved my audio files from the keyboard to a USB and I strictly followed the do's and don'ts in saving. I haven't also connected it yet to any Sound module, midi devices, and other accessories, except for my headset and speaker. What could be the cause of this problem? Thank you very much for giving me some help regarding my concern.
bgiles

Re: ROLAND RD700nx Hanging Welcome Display

Post by bgiles »

Hi jmvmflywheel7

Did you purchase the RD-700NX from new, if so, it will still be under the Roland 3 year warranty, so the store should get it fixed for you.

It sounds like either a defective ROM chip, or corrupted System Software, which you could try to reload yourself, but Roland specify that the USB device should be formatted on the keyboard before using it for updates, which you won't be able to do.

I see that the latest version on the Roland website is "RD-700NX System Program Version 2.02", so its had a couple of updates since the initial release.

If you can, try and check the version you are on...

How to know the version
Before you start, check the system program version of your RD-700NX.

Hold down [ V-LINK ] and switch on the power.
If this shows the latest version (version 2.02 or later), there’s no need to update your RD-700NX.
After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

What you need to update it yourself is...

RD-700NX
USB Memory ( Roland's M-UF2G is recommended )
* The USB Memory need to be formatted on a RD-700NX.
A computer with a USB connector (Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOS X v10.4.3 or later)
Update file downloaded from this page
howardS

Post by howardS »

For what it's worth, I updated mine from the original firmware several times and just used a USB stick that formatted for windows. It worked fine.
jmvmflywheel7

Post by jmvmflywheel7 »

Hi Sir bgiles,

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it! The store from which I bought the keyboard said that the warranty for them is only for a year. I bought it brand new.

May I ask on how I could update my keyboard since at the first instance after turning on the keyboard, it already hangs and only shows the welcome display "ROLAND"? Will it read the USB device?

Hi Sir Howards, thanks also for your insight.
howardS

Post by howardS »

You could download the latest firmware from Roland and follow the instructions on that page. As I said earlier, I was just able to run it from a Windows formatted USB drive. The instructions tell us to:

1. Copy the entire folder containing the RD-700NX update data (R028_RD700NX) to the root directory of the formatted USB Memory, and then detach the device from the computer.

2. Leaving the power to the RD-700NX switched off; connect the USB Memory to the USB MEMORY port.

3. Hold down [MENU] and [WRITE] and switch on the power to the unit. The update starts. Wait several minutes. When “Completed.” is displayed, the operation is finished.
* Never switch off the power or detach the USB Memory before Completed. Is displayed. Doing so may damage the USB Memory and make it unusable.

4. Detach the USB Memory and switch off the power to the unit.

Let us know if that works for you, jmvmflywheel7.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

I agree with howardS, the USB should work fine if formatted under Windows/Mac, so follow his instructions above.

I'm more surprised by your comment that your dealer is only honouring the first year of what I thought was 3 years on all Roland Stage Pianos, I'd go back and ask them to verify they've got their facts right, it they are an authorised dealer, they should know it's 3 years.

Here is an extract from the Roland US site http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_repair/

Consumer Limited Warranty
PRODUCT LINE --------------PARTS----- LABOR
Stage pianos and amps-----3 Years---- 2 Years

If the update doesn't work, I suggest you contact Roland directly with the keyboard details and proof of purchase, and see where you actually stand with the warranty. Of course, if you registered the product on-line with them shortly after you purchased it, it's easy to then log in to 'My Roland' and raise a warranty ticket.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.
jmvmflywheel7

Post by jmvmflywheel7 »

Wow, I'm very happy with your advises. Yes, I will do them and will give you a feedback asap. Thank you very much again. :-)
jmvmflywheel7

Post by jmvmflywheel7 »

Hi Sir bgiles,

By the way, I'm from Philippines. I hope the warranty period implemented in your country is the same with us here. I've already sent an email to their main office. Thanks.

Hi Sir Howards, thanks for the instruction. :-)
howardS

Post by howardS »

You're welcome. Hopefully it will work.
jmvmflywheel7

Post by jmvmflywheel7 »

Hi Sir Howards,

I've asked the technician to do the checking of the version based from the instruction you gave me but it was not successful. I will still personally try to do the updating this coming Sunday.