RD-700nx EPs don't respond to Layer fader control

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
RolandUzer

RD-700nx EPs don't respond to Layer fader control

Post by RolandUzer »

Hello. I recently purchased a Roland RD-700nx keyboard (new - but floor model) from my local music store. Because the keyboard was a floor model in the store, when I got it home I performed the procedure to reset all settings to factory defaults.

I have since noticed that none of the One-Touch E.Pianos respond with volume changes to movements of the Layer fader control - the volume stays the same regardless of the Layer fader movements. The One-Touch E.Pianos do respond with volume changes to the Master Volume fader. All of the One-Touch Acoustic Pianos respond with volume changes to movements of the Layer fader controls.

How do I get the One-Touch E.Pianos to change volume in response to the Layer fader control?

Thank you.
RolandUzer

Re: RD-700nx EPs don't respond to Layer fader control

Post by RolandUzer »

Aha! I fixed it. It turns out the Layer Level/Control push-button was set to Control. When I switched it to Layer Level, the One-Touch E.Pianos responded by changing volume to changes in the Layer fader.

I have since noticed that ALL the One-Touch E.Pianos Live Sets are set up so that the Layer Level/Control switch is switched to Control. EVERY other Live Set (A.Pianos, Clavs, etc) are all set up so that the Layer Level/Control switch is switched to layer Level. Curious.

Now I'm going to have to make 3 User Live Sets simply to set the E.Pianos Live Sets so that the Layer Level/Control switch is set to Layer Level.

I am surprised there are only 100 User Live Set available. While I like the sound of the patches (or "Tones" as Roland calls them, the 300 Factory Live Sets are totally worthless to me. A waste of available memory if you ask me.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hmmm, I hadn't noticed that before. Well, you can also overwrite the current one touch patches instead. You call up the patch, set it to Layer Level, hit the Tone Edit switch, hit Write and then hit Enter.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Also, you may want to update your RD to the latest OS. Version 2 brings the user lives sets up to 200 and there are 50 new presets as well. Perhaps they will still be useless to you but presets are often just meant to be starting points or examples for us. I never used any of the preset live sets on any keyboard I ever had. At best they were close and to my ear always needed tweaking.