Rd700gx default equalization

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
silvio_giuliani

Rd700gx default equalization

Post by silvio_giuliani »

Hi, i bought this digital piano used for a month ago.
I have been playing it with an akg ak44 headphone, and i noticed that its default eqalization is a way too bass and middle focused.
It makes unconfortable to hear.
I thought this was the previous user config and did the factory reset, but it keeps this way. Every time i play i need to low down the bass and middle EQ parameters to it sound good.
Is it normal? Or i bought and defective piano?
howardS

Re: Rd700gx default equalization

Post by howardS »

I'm not sure I have an answer regarding your RD700gx but I was wondering how the headphones sound when listening to other keyboards or perhaps an MP3 player. Are you sure it is the keyboard that is in issue? Are you plugged in directly to the keyboard or is here a mixer between your keyboard and the headphones?
silvio_giuliani

Post by silvio_giuliani »

Hi, the headphone sounds really great on my Juno G, and listening to music too.
Everything on the rd700 works really well, all pacthes, the keys are fine, buttons too.
The only thing that bothers me is this default equalization.
I don´t even know if the factory reset has restored it.
I need to read the manual to see how to store a permanent equalization, so i don´t have to do it manually everytime i power the piano on.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hmmm, how is equalization on the line out?

Also, I dont think there is any permanent equalization or default setting for the RD series boards. If you find anything then perhaps post that for others here.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

silvio_giuliani wrote:Hi, i bought this digital piano used for a month ago.
I have been playing it with an akg ak44 headphone, and i noticed that its default equalization is a way too bass and middle focused.
Hello silvio_giuliani
I own a RD-800, and also find it too bass to midrange heavy.

I listen using either a pair of AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD560 reference headphones, or a Kef Cresta II speakers. If it was on just the speakers, I would put it down to the acoustics of the room, but as it's also through reference headphones, especially with the K-702 being renown for their 'neutrality', it's obviously the characteristics of the keyboard.

Fortunately the RD-800 has a very comprehensive 5 band EQ controls with Q-factor (width), and I have taken mine down to -4db @ 125Hz, tapering off to -1db @ 315Hz, and saved it off as a 'Live Set' and 'Startup'

I see the RD-700GX has a 4 band EQ (page 49 of the manual), so guess you'll have to play around with the setting until you get the right sound for you. You can also alter the EQ for the 'One Touch Piano' (page 77).