RD700sx Basic Setups (Patches)

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Jay Stephen

RD700sx Basic Setups (Patches)

Post by Jay Stephen »

I know this is going to sound lame, so apologies in advance. Our band's keyboard player is quite good and also carries most of the vocals. However, he is HOPELESS with technology. He uses a RD700sx but can't program it. We try to help him but he loses settings, etc. and clearly the manual is way too complex for him. Does anyone have a basic list of patches that are simple to understand and set up on the RD700. I've read that there are 40 spaces for "presets" and he could probably only need (cope with) maybe 10. Something basic so that even the simple guitar player (me) can lean over and set him up during a performance. Just some common acoustic PNO,"Rhodes", B3, strings, brass, etc.
THANKS!
howardS

Re: RD700sx Basic Setups (Patches)

Post by howardS »

Well you should see the one-touch piano button which should give you a nice acoustic piano. If you hit the one-touch E.piano button you should get to your Rhodes and perhaps the Wurly sounds. I have an RD700nx and although I have played the sx please understand that I am guessing on some of this stuff, Jay.

You may want to download the manual from here and have a look at page 33 which talks about performing with different tones. You should be able to select a tone category such as Brass/Winds and then scroll through brass/wind type patches to find the patches you like. You can then assign these to one of the 40 favourites. I agree that 40 may be too much but you can look in the manual for how to assign the first bank of 10 favourites. If you write down the list of favourites then perhaps you can help him remember how to select the favourites and call up the specific patch.
Jay Stephen

Post by Jay Stephen »

Thanks Howard. We've referenced the manual as well. I've played with it and can select a patch (e.g. clav) and then I choose "write" to save it. However, when we turn off the power switch, what we saved seems to be gone. Is there a way to ensure whatever patches or "setups" we have selected stay in ROM even when the power is off?
Thanks again.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Are you following all the steps set out on page 58 of the manual?
Jay Stephen

Post by Jay Stephen »

I believe so but I'll check again at rehearsal later this week. Thanks.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great. I just want to make sure you are properly saving the edited patch.