RD700nx and midi

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
RolandUzer

RD700nx and midi

Post by RolandUzer »

Tonight, I connected my RD700nx to my DAW (Sonar X2a) for the first time, and tried to play back some midi data. Playback occurred, but only the ac. piano sound was played. Changing the RD700nx Live Set didn't change anything; only the ac. piano sound was played. Changing the midi channel number that was being transmitted didn't change anything; only the ac. piano sound was played.

How do I get the RD700nx to play back different sounds? The manual only says that the RD700nx will respond to bank and patch change messages.

btw, my older RD700sx would play back midi data using whatever sound I choose at the keyboard. The manual was very comprehensive in describing how the keyboard responds to midi data and what midi data the keyboard could send.
howardS

Re: RD700nx and midi

Post by howardS »

Just a guess here....is your Part Mode set to 16PART or 16PART+PERF. This option is set out on page 69 of the manual.
RolandUzer

Post by RolandUzer »

Part Mode is set to 16PART+PERF.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok. If you instead set it to 16PART then I think it will function like your RD700sx and play back midi data using the sound you select at the keyboard. With 16PART+PERF the Live Set that you select is only sounded by notes actually played directly on the keybed and NOT through MIDI. Test it and let me know if this is the issue.
RolandUzer

Post by RolandUzer »

Thank you HowardS. I think you are right.

Tho' it doesn't explain how the RD700nx knows to play that acoustic piano sound that it seems to play by default.

I have copied this from the Roland Knowledge Base
><><><>><>><><><><><><
By default, the RD-700NX is set up as a 16-part sound module plus a five-part performance keyboard: Upper1, Upper2, Lower1, Lower2, and the Rhythm part.

This is useful when you're using an external MIDI sequencer to play back a 16-part composition on the RD-700NX via MIDI, allowing you to play along using the five additional parts on the keyboard. In this mode, the two areas of the RD-700NX are completely separate—the sounds you select for the Upper and Lower keyboard parts have nothing to do with the MIDI sounds.

If you'd like to play and select sounds for the first four MIDI channels directly from the keyboard, configure the RD-700NX as follows.

1. Press MENU.

2. Use the cursor buttons to select "0. SYSTEM."

3. Press ENTER.

4. Press the left and right cursor buttons until you see "Part Mode 16PART + PERF."

5. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "Part Mode 16PART + PERF."

6. Turn the dial to select "16PART."

7. Press the LAYER EDIT button.

8. Press ENTER to display "Executing ..."

9. Press EXIT several times to return to the main display.

To control and play:
•MIDI Channel 1—select Upper1
•MIDI Channel 2—select Upper2
•MIDI Channel 3—select Lower1
•MIDI Channel 4—select Lower2
howardS

Post by howardS »

Well, I think the piano patch is patch number 1 so that is the default patch, so to speak. If your sequencer sent a patch select command before playing the notes you could choose a different patch for the external sequencer.
RolandUzer

Post by RolandUzer »

I assume you are right: the ac. piano sound I am hearing is patch #1 (or maybe patch #0) and is played by default unless a patch change message is received.

I have to criticize Roland here for not making this clear in the RD700nx owner's manual. Bad job, Roland! I understand that the vast majority of keyboard consumers never use these features, and so it must seem like a waste of paper and ink to put the information in the owner's manual. Yet the needed information is on the Roland web-site.

Why not include a sentence in the owner's manual: "Complete information on midi implementation is available on our web-site at this URL: ABC.... ". This would certainly help people like me.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I know it can be frustrating to read through these manuals however the reference to their website is written on page 88 of the manual. It reads as follows:

Selecting RD-700NX Sounds from an External
MIDI Device

Transmitting Bank Select (Controller Number 0, 32) and Program
Change messages from the external MIDI device to the RD-700NX
allows you to switch Live Sets and Tones.

You can download the materials on MIDI from the Roland website.
Roland website:
http://www.roland.com/
RolandUzer

Post by RolandUzer »

"Selecting RD-700NX Sounds from an External
MIDI Device

Transmitting Bank Select (Controller Number 0, 32) and Program
Change messages from the external MIDI device to the RD-700NX
allows you to switch Live Sets and Tones."

This is EXACTLY my complaint. The manual says it is possible to get different sounds from the keyboard using midi, but it doesn't tell the user HOW!! When investigating the System/Part Mode switch, the manual is similarly obtuse.

As you point out, the information is available on the Roland web-site, and there I was able to find it.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I know it takes work to get through the manuals. I was simply responding to your comment that you thought they should "include a sentence in the owner's manual: "Complete information on midi implementation is available on our web-site at this URL: ABC.... ". " and that it would have helped you. I simply pointed out that on the next line after they tell us that we can transmit program change messages through midi they direct us to their website for information regarding MIDI. I thought this was the reference you were looking for.

In your last post you said that the manual is obtuse about the System/Part mode. I agree that this feature needs some investigating to understand. When I got my RD I simply started in the system menu and looked up all the functions to try to understand what they do. I guess there should probably be a reference on page 88 of the manual to the System/Part mode and how that works with this.
Guitarbeau

Post by Guitarbeau »

Brilliant reply this was frustrating me to no end, my DR-5 would respond to any patch changes but the RD 700 your insight was so helpful. I did see and download the midi specs from Roland but found it incomprehensible at this time. I’m sure this will be helpful in the future. But just having the clear explanation to change this setting OMD!
Oh my dog! Thank you for taking the time