RD 700nx, three silly questions

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Ganelon

RD 700nx, three silly questions

Post by Ganelon »

I apologize for my probably not very precise noob questions - I am yet all but an expert in controlling my R 700nx, and find the manual is of limited assistance.

1. My little son managed to make one of the live-set buttons point to an undesired live-set in the Preset bank. I'd like to change that back, but cannot find a way how to reassign the live-set buttons. What the manual calls "registering a live set to your favourites", seems not to have any effect.

2. So far, I am rather underwhelmed with the Strings sounds. Almost all of them start with some fade-in, which, though natural to some styles of string-playing, makes them unusable for anything but playing a long chord. Of course I can put a layer of staccato-strings on top, but this is not a viable solution for many scenarios. Is there a way to get a more usable string-sound, by which I could play things like themes of classical symphonies without the longer notes being louder than the shorter ones?

3. Many sounds come with a lot of reverb, even if I reduce reverb to zero both in the instrument's setting and with the knob on the left side of the piano. Does this mean the reverb is part of the sample and cannot be removed or reduced?
howardS

Re: RD 700nx, three silly questions

Post by howardS »

Hi there Ganelon.

1 - It sounds as though your son stumbled on the trick I posted here to save default live set for each category. You just need to choose the one you want in that category and then press and hold the category button.

2 - Have you tried editing the patches using Tone Edit? There is a screen there with Attack Time settings and you can try reducing that down. Also, have you tried the different patches or have you just sampled the Live Sets presets. It may also be that there is a different patch that you can assign to the live set which may have more of the tone of what you are looking for.

3 - I am guessing but I think when you say you are zero-ing out the instruments settings you are just going into Layer Edit and setting the layer to 0. Well that just sets how much of the Reverb effect from that knob gets applied to the layer. It may be however that the specific live set you are trying to use has one of the MFX blocks set to reverb so that is what you are hearing. Have you gone into the Tone Edit area and checked the MFX settings?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

1. Yes, that's it! And what a handy function, to not be documented in the manual - thanks for posting!

2. Again: Yes, a negative setting or attack helps, thanks a lot. Not the perfect solution since the sound might even sound a bit less like strings , but it puts me in control. (I guess for really good soundbanks, I will need to get a midi expander).

3. Tone Edit seems to be the magic word here, too. I have not found the reverb settings yet, i.e. on "Strings 1" that I can unset, but I will go and learn to handle these effects more properly, which should do the trick.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, with #3 I think that the thing you are referring to is the slow release time, not reverb. Shorten the release time a bit and see if that solves addresses it for you.