RD-700NX Librarian with Basic Edit

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Chalky64

RD-700NX Librarian with Basic Edit

Post by Chalky64 »

Inspired by the librarian created by MarcoPolo on these forums, I have created an RD-700NX librarian of my own which can be found here: http://retroclonez.co.uk/Z9aY0bX8cW1dV7 ... rarian.zip.

In addition to being able to copy, swap, insert, delete and rename Live Sets, the program also offers basic editing of the parameters normally editable via the RD-700NX display (VOL, PAN etc. as well as PEDAL and CONTROL SLIDE settings). Layers can also be switched ON/OFF, and the program is keyboard-range FULL aware.

Before anyone gets too excited -Tones cannot be selected/changed. As far as I can determine, a shed-load of data is copied into the Live Set every time a Tone is changed - and the only way to do that with an external editor would be to have a database of all 964 tones. Although this is technically feasible, it would need changing every time Roland updated anything via a firmware update - besides which, I have yet to work out exactly where the Tone data resides within each Live Set. One day...

I have developed/tested this on a vanilla RD-700NX with firmware v01.001 - so have no idea whether it will work with newer versions. There is an "Upgrade" function - which simply adds another 100 Live Sets to a v01 file and sets the firmware ID to v02.000 - whether this will actually load into a v02 keyboard I have no idea! Use of this software is therefore at the user's own risk, and no liability will be accepted for any damage caused etc.

There are no instructions supplied - but hopefully use of the program is fairly self-explanatory. It is portable, so does not require an installer. RDS files saved from the RD-700NX should be copied to the LiveSets folder (although this is not obligatory) for editing. "Export" simply creates a text file of all Live Sets and their parameter settings (I found this useful when trying to replicate NX sounds on a GX). "Copy To..." and "Swap With..." functions are cancelled by right-clicking the mouse.

I plan to add other functionality as and when time allows - but until then I hope this is of use to someone.
prunenoveggie

Re: RD-700NX Librarian with Basic Edit

Post by prunenoveggie »

Thanks. This really looks great.

I'm curious why you developed it with/for firmware v01.001. Don't you want the extra fifty live sets and extra 100 user live sets?

Please let us know if you anyone tests it with system version 2.02. I might be willing to test it sometime when I don't have so many gigs coming up.

Thanks again!
Chalky64

Post by Chalky64 »

I developed it on my firmware V01.001 NX simply because (until today) I had not felt the need to upgrade to V2. However, I have just upgraded my NX to V2.02 and am pleased to confirm that (after a couple of minor bug-fixes [negative-pan/sns & upgraded-firmware-id - corrected in librarian v1.5.r19]) V01 NX files upgraded via the program will load into a V2.02 NX without problems. The Scratch Pad is still limited to 100 Sets though (which means the "Scratch All" will only actually copy the first 100 sets) - if people think this should be increased to 200 let me know and I'll update the program.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Chalky64, thanks for this utility. I will give this a try as well at some point. Does that link from your first post on this thread give us the updated version?
Chalky64

Post by Chalky64 »

Yes - the first post of this thread will always link to the most recent version of the program.
howardS

Post by howardS »

That's great. Thanks.
Chalky64

Post by Chalky64 »

Version 1.5.r20 uploaded with 200 capacity scratch pad.
Chalky64

Post by Chalky64 »

Download removed due to lack of interest.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks for the effort, Chalky64. I found that I didn't need the added functionality your software offered such as panning and volume since I like tweaking that stuff while at the keyboard. If it was an extension which allowed for editing the RD700nx while sitting at the keyboard then I might have used those functions. All I really needed though was the the ability to move live sets around. Anyhow, that's for trying to get something better out to us.
carlstef

Post by carlstef »

Hi, is your librarian still around for trying? Would be happy try it, but the link didn't work. All the best/S
Benjo26

Post by Benjo26 »

Hi Chalky64, kudos for making that!

I'm thinking about trying something similar for the RD-800.

From my reading of the MIDI implementation doc, there is no available command (MIDI or sysex) to execute a live set write.

Can I ask - how did you get around this with the 700?

Cheers!