RD-800 piano sound has alot of mids out the box

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
dbuelle

RD-800 piano sound has alot of mids out the box

Post by dbuelle »

I have a rd-800 and a kc-550. i get way to much mids and i know its my lack of experience but i really love the sounds through the head phones i am running stereo through the amp i was told that would help. any help would be wonderful.
howardS

Re: RD-800 piano sound has alot of mids out the box

Post by howardS »

I doubt running both left and right outputs to the one amp would make any difference on the quality of the sound. You can perhaps just try and adjust the 3-band eq built into the amp and see if you can find a setting that works for you.
dbuelle

Post by dbuelle »

I DID IT ON THE AMP AND ON THE EQ BUTTON ON THE 800. I AM A BASS PLAYER AND HAVE WORKED SOUND FOR OUR BAND FOR 20 YEARS PLUS. I HAVE A STARTED PLAYING KEYS/PIANO ABOUT A YEAR AGO. I BOUGHT A 700 USED AND LOVED IT. THE SETTINGS HE DID INSIDE THE UNIT WERE WONDERFUL. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD GET A 800. WELL I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT TO GET IT THERE. THE MANUAL IS OVER MY HEAD AS TO I DON'T KNOW ALL THE TERMS OF A PIANO. THIS IS REALLY HARD TO EXPLAIN. I AM SORRY. LETS PUT IT SIMPLE LOL. I AM A HELL OF A BASS PLAYER AND SOUND GUY. BUT DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS UNIT. THANKS ALOT YOUR HELP AND ANY MORE INSIGHT WOULD BE GREAT!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Have you trying playing with the onboard EQ?
prunenoveggie

Post by prunenoveggie »

I have never in my life heard a decent piano sound come out of a KC 550. I've gotten much better results with powered speakers (QSC K12/K10 both highly recommended).

That being said, you RD-800 has a great EQ that's fairly easy to use. If you have a lot of experience as a sound man, I'm sure you could fix the problem (or at least get it to sound closer to what you want) with the 5-band parametric EQ. I don't think you'd have to go into the detailed piano settings to fix this.
dbuelle

Post by dbuelle »

I THINK I AM GOING TO TRY THE QSC K10 OR DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET THE 12. AS I SAID I AM A BASS PLAYER LEARNING KEYS LOL. THANKS FOR THE HELP. YOU ARE THE SECOND PERSON TELLING ME THAT ABOUT THE KC 550 OR KEYBOARD AMP IN GENERAL. THANKS AGAIN.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I use a QSC K8 and also recommend the K series. The sound from the QSC K series is in my opinion far superior to the sound you get out of the Roland KC line. I find it's response far more linear as well which makes playing through it so much more enjoyable. I mistakenly assumed you already had that KC amp and wasn't going to suggest replacing it but definitely try out the QSC speakers. The K8, K10 and K12 all have the same amps in them but have different dispersion patterns due to the speaker size. I got the K8 as it is lighter and thought it would work best for my playing environment.
dbuelle

Post by dbuelle »

YOU ARE CORRECT, I DID ALREADY GET THE KC-550. BUT NOT HAPPY WITH IT. THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT THING. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM GETTING A GOOD SOUND OUT OF SOMETHING, AS I SAID I AM A BASS PLAYER BUT ALSO GUITAR AND DRUMMER. PIANO OR KEYS JUST IN TH LAST YEAR OR SO. I HAD RD 700 I BOUGHT USED AND HAD THE SAME SOUND ISSUE THATS WHY I BOUGHT THE 800. MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE HAS REALLY COST ME ON THIS ONE LOL. SO I AM GONNA GET THE QSC AND CROSS MY FINGERS LOL. I REALLY THANK YALL FOR ALL YALL HELP.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Perhaps try it out at a store first before buying it. ;)

Are you looking to use it as a monitor or to project from the stage?
dbuelle

Post by dbuelle »

as a stage amp. i have not been able to find anyone with a rd-800 in stock here in the new orleans area. thanks again
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, ok. So now try and figure out which speaker size. The different sizes give you different coverage. Smaller speaker cover a wider area but not as deep as larger speakers. According to this link the dispersion patterns for the K line speakers are as follows:

K8 - 105 degrees
K10 - 90 degrees
K12 - 75 degrees

I need wider sound coverage and can sacrifice a little depth so I got the K8. You need to figure out what dispersion pattern works best for you. They all sound great though.