A USB-MIDI issue with RD-700NX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
dtaki

A USB-MIDI issue with RD-700NX

Post by dtaki »

Hello,

I purchased a RD-700NX used back in November, and it has been working well since then (really the best keyboard action I've ever played). However, in the last couple of days I started noticing an issue when I use it as a MIDI controller, and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I have it connected via USB to my software instruments (within Reason and Ableton Live) and it will work perfectly until all of a sudden it stops communicating with the software. I will be playing something on the keys, and out of nowhere, the keys will stop transmitting MIDI, the software doesn't see any MIDI input, etc.

My first thought was that the issue is with the USB cable, because unplugging it and plugging it back in restored MIDI connection. But 3 things make me think it's not the cable:

1) The same intermittent issue occurred with a different USB cable.
2) I was able to similarly resolve the issue without touching the cable, by going into Audio-MIDI setup and hitting "rescan MIDI".
3) When the MIDI drops out, there is no "USB Disconnected" indicator on RD-700NX's display.

I have tried both "Generic" and "Original" USB drivers in the keyboard's settings.

Does this sound like an issue with the keyboard? Or with my computer? Or perhaps with the USB hub that I am connected to?

I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 with OSX 10.9.5, connected with a Plugable USB 2.0 7-port powered hub which I keep connected to power at all times.
bgiles

Re: A USB-MIDI issue with RD-700NX

Post by bgiles »

Hi dtaki
Have you checked with the RD-700NX connected directly to the MacBook USB port, rather than via a hub (which is probably frowned upon in some circles anyway).
dtaki

Re: A USB-MIDI issue with RD-700NX

Post by dtaki »

Hello,

I did that test when I got home and that seemed to resolve the issue.

However, it's unfortunate that that's the case because I don't have a choice other than to use a hub. I only have 2 USB ports, and between my Roland, USB audio interface, 2 dongles, and other odds and ends, at least one important piece of audio equipment has to be connected to the hub. It has seemed appropriate to connect my audio interface direct to the Mac, but I will try having the Roland hard-wired to the Mac and the interface through the hub.

Thanks for the response!