No iPad control for RD-800?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
boomish

No iPad control for RD-800?

Post by boomish »

I'd like to be able to change live sets remotely using the iPad but it seems although the RD-800 supports the wlan usb there is no supporting editor! I presumed the RD NX Editor app would work so have ordered a wlan sub stick & downloaded the app only to read now it won't work :(

Anyone using an iPad to remotely control the RD-800? I thought it would give better visual feedback than our current control of Mainstage. Apreciate any advice.
boomish

Re: No iPad control for RD-800?

Post by boomish »

What a shame no replies..

well I can confirm the TP-Link TL-WN722N works a treat with the RD800, am out in Germany setting up for a big show and hoped I could use the wireless with the NX editor, the wireless works in ad hoc mode, the iPad connects, the NX editor see's the RD-800 fine , you can select it but the iPad app does nothing all I get is MIDI can't be received error message.
I've looked through other forums and this was an old bug for the Integra keyboard having MIDI thru on but I can only see MIDI thru USB and thats off.
Why don't Roland support the RD-800 with the NX-editor, seems crazy it's all working but I can't control it with any software. I briefly looked at getting the Mac to see it as a MIDI device but it doesn't not can I get OSC to see it.
If anyone has any bright idea's or Roland care to reply that would be big help.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I bought the stick for my RD700nx thinking I would find it useful but really never ended up using it with my old iPad. I recall you could use it to select a tone within a live set but the little bit of editing is clumsy at best and what appears to be a save settings function didn't work at all. The app is not compatible with anything newer than the iPad 4 so it won't work with my Air and in any event only worked up to iOS 7. You're not missing much by not being able to use this app.
boomish

Post by boomish »

Apreciate the reply Howard, it would be useful to me as not only could I see what patch the RD-800 is on but also control the patches better than having Mainstage via a 30 ft MiDI cable send out patch changes with no feedback if it made it or not.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, I get why you would like it and frankly I would love the app as well if it worked. My point was that it doesn't work any longer on the RD700nx as well so it is not as though they really got it to work on that keyboard but failed to carry it forward into the RD800. Anyhow, good luck with your set up.
boomish

Post by boomish »

How weird, does anyone know what you can do with the wireless connection? Can we control is with Osc ? I couldn't get it to be recognised..