Hohner Clavinet sound on the RD-800

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
rocking88s

Hohner Clavinet sound on the RD-800

Post by rocking88s »

Hi, Clan-members !

Brand new RD-800 owner here with a gig tomorrow (my old beloved PC-88 gave up the ghost in mid-stride last time I was playing out), so I'm short on experimental time - so please forgive my trying to slip-stream on everyone else's experience.

One of the songs we do is Bill Wither's "Use Me," and I was wondering which of the Clav sounds people thought was the closest to the original Hohner Clavinet that was used on the track.

Right now, I'm inclined to go with the "Touch Wah Clav" and but bring down the Wah very low so that it doesn't dominate. This gives a nice low, fat sound that seems to fit. On the other hand, since the Hohner was a classic clav, I thought it might be possible that they had already packaged it under a different name (for copyright purposes, I would guess). I haven't figured out Roland's coding system ("CA", "CB" etc.), so am at a bit of a loss.

Loving the touch, the sounds, and the flexibility and looking forward to learning more about how to make the best use of this really exciting instrument. Thanks in advance for your help.