Roland RD-700NX and Logic Pro X

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Burch2001

Roland RD-700NX and Logic Pro X

Post by Burch2001 »

Hi, friends.
I cannot change both Live Sets and Tones of RD-700NX out of Logic Pro X.
I have looked into all threads here and elsewhere concerning both RD-700NX and Logic Pro X. I tried everything suggested. But still no result.
So could anyone submit step-by-step guideline?
torhus

Re: Roland RD-700NX and Logic Pro X

Post by torhus »

Not familiar with Logic, but I think I have achieved this with other software. Have you checked the "Part Mode" and "Live Set Ctrl Ch" settings on the RD, and are you sending the correct MSB, LSB, and PC messages on the correct channels?
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

Thanks for a quick reply. Yes. Details are - I set Live Ctrl Ch to 1, Part Mode was tried both to 16Part and 16Part+Perf. In Logic I set ch.1 on RD700's midi track. Then in this track in 1st measure I added midi messages: Controller 0, Value84(MSB), Controller 32, Value 0(LSB), Progr.Change 31. This data corresponds Tine E.Piano according to Live Set List of RD-700NX. But all the same GM sounds are played. What did I do wrong? And what did you do in your software and RD?
torhus

Post by torhus »

Right. Does it actually change the live set on the RD?

When it is set to 16Part, channels 1 through 4 should correspond to the active live set.

I'm on vacation now, but I can try this out when I get back home in a couple of days.
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

No, it changes no bank. RD receives CC message from Logic. I tried out CC64 sustain message and it works. But CC0 and CC32 do not. What is wrong?
OK. Waiting for your coming back home to try out.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I no longer have my RD700NX but it I think the way it worked for me, Burch2001, was that I set Live Set Ctrl Ch to 16 which meant that when I sent the MSB/LSB/PC commands on Channel 16 my live sets changed. This is separate from Part Mode selection which when set to 16 Part, as Torhus said, sets layers 1-4 to channels 1-4. In this mode you have 16 layers available to your software and in this mode layers 1-4 of the live set are the layers 1-4 which your software can also access. If however you set it to 16Part+Perf then layers 1-4 of the live set are only played and set locally but are in addition to the 16 parts available for your software to play. In that mode layers 1-4 of your live set are not changed by PC commands since those commands sent to the additional layers 1-4 which are only played remotely.

As far as GM sounds being played, the only time I had anything similar was before I understood Part Mode and had it set to 16Part+Perf. I would set the live set layers on the front panel but noticed that all incoming data on channels 1-4 played GM Piano only rather than any of the sounds I had selected on the front panel for the 4 live set layers. This makes sense though as 16Part+Perf meant that incoming data was NOT going to the live sets but was going to the 16 Parts which you can't play or set directly on the front panel.

I hope some of this helps you sort it out.
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

Thanks. I made what you suggested. Now Live Sets are selected out of Logic and I can play them on RD-700NX's keyboard. But when I playback RD-700NX's track in Logic only GM sounds are played despite I added MSB/LSB/PC events in 1st measure of the track.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Have you set Part Mode to 16Part or 16Part+Perf? Also, what MIDI channel are you sending the MSB/LSB/PC data?
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

I have sorted out at last!
Part Mode determines if Live Set which can be played on a keyboard is selected with MSB/LSB/PC command or not. In my case it must be definitely set to 16Part only. Thanks to you, howardS.
As for Live Set Ctrl Ch, it does not matter what channel to set because 16Pard setting does not let select Live Set with MSB/LSB/PC command at all.
Furthermore, MSB/LSB commands must be added to a Logic track while PC command is set in Track inspector. If it is added as a MIDI event in a track it can conflict with PC command of a track inspector. 2 conflicting commands sent simultaneously resulted in selecting GM sounds. I guess just it was my problem.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks for reporting back, Burch2001, and that you sorted out how to send MSB/LSB and the PC command in Logic. I am still confused though that it is not letting you select the Live Set remotely simply because you have set Part Mode to 16Part. I didn't run into that problem when I had my RD700nx but that was a couple of years ago but I assume you tested it and that you could change the Live Set remotely when it was set to 16Part+Perf but stopped working when set to 16Part.
Burch2001

Post by Burch2001 »

Sure I tested. The matter is Live Sets are sounds which are played on a RD-700NX's keyboard only while different sounds, named 16Part, are played back and set remotely out of a DAW only (those names are not displayed on a RD-700NX's LCD). One of 16Part sounds can played on keyboard if you select its track in a DAW and set Local Off. If you set Local On 16Part sound and Live Set will be layered while playing on a keyboard. 16Part+Perf lets you change both Live Sets and other sounds while 16Part lets you change other sounds only.
Tomorrow I am going to look into how to make 16Part sounds and Live Sets sound equally and are changed equally with one click at the same time.
I can share if you wonder.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks for confirming it for you. It seems you are on it. :)

Also, sure, feel free to share the rest of this journey as it will be a resource for others in a similar situation. Good luck with it!

Howard