RD-700GX Screen Frozen at Startup

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
onehand

RD-700GX Screen Frozen at Startup

Post by onehand »

Hello all! There is a problem with my RD-700GX.
Any suggestions on why my screen is stuck on the blue "Roland" logo at startup?
Powers on like normal, but goes instantly to the blue "Roland" logo right away.....Nothing else.
No buttons light up at all except for the screen.
No sound from any outputs, no sound from headphones.
Hooking up via MIDI to a Roland sound module does nothing either. (module works fine with another board)
Wondering about updating the firmware, but I'm not too savvy on how it is done.
Hoping that could possibly fix the issue.
I have an empty USB thumb drive and am running Windows 10 on the home computer.
Am I supposed to just load the System Update Version 1.06 onto the thumb drive and then go through the
process as stated in the 'Readme' files? Plug it into the USB port of the RD-700GX and go through those button presses?
Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
RD700GX Screen.jpg
RD700GX Screen.jpg (213.21 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
onehand

Re: RD-700GX Screen Frozen at Startup

Post by onehand »

OK, so I went through the process as described in the Readme file of the Firmware update.
Here's what each of the 3 screens read during the loading process.
These three different screen readouts only took about 5 seconds to appear:

(1) Update Mode:

(2) --- Updating ---
Please wait for a while.
o

(3) o
--- Error 94 ---
An error occurred during updating.

I formatted my USB drive from Windows 10, loaded the folder that I had downloaded from Roland site,
I saw it on the USB. Then went through the entire correct process 4 times just to be sure.
I thought I might have read that initially the USB has to have been formatted from the RD-700GX itself.
But that obviously is not possible if I can't get it past the blue "Roland" screen in the beginning.
Someone had mentioned earlier on the RD-700NX that they had just used a Windows formatted USB.
Any help? Any suggestions? Any thoughts?
onehand

Post by onehand »

Update! I see a lot of 'lookie-loos' at my posting but no replies. But I have a question and a request.....
So I've been going back and forth with Roland US on the solution and they say the update I'm trying to do is from the RD-700GX version WITHOUT the SuperNatural Piano Expanded card that is installed. That firmware update is the only one listed on their website. They emailed the correct firmware update version 2.01 which is the specifically designed operating system for this upgrade. Funny though, when I opened up the ZIP file the Readme PDF was there......opened fine. And the version 2.01 was there in its file. Went through the entire firmware upgrade process and I still had error messages when trying to load. Going back to my computer I compared the two different firmware versions, and low and behold the newest update they mailed had nothing in it! LOL! I emailed back Roland, but it being late on Friday afternoon here in the US I won't be getting a response until Monday sometime. I was really hoping to use the piano this Sunday. Anyway, I'm reaching out to the Roland Clan community to see if anyone here might have the 2.01 firmware update that they received when adding the SuperNatural Piano Expanded card. Was hoping that someone could email the file IF they still had a copy of it. Just curious.
Thanks
onehand
torhus

Post by torhus »

I'm sure there are some GX owners here, I have an NX myself. But you could also try over at The Keyboard Corner forum at musicplayer.com, more activity there. Hope you get it fixed :)
onehand

Post by onehand »

Reaching out again, this time to someone with Tech Knowledge of the internal workings of my RD-700GX.
Roland sent me the update files again, and this time the files were in the sub-folders. I went through the entire procedure to update with three different USB drives, three times each just to be sure I didn't miss something and there were no issues with the USB drives themselves.
Every time I went through the process I ended up with the "ERROR 94" message. I downloaded the service manual, however there is no information on trouble shooting that error message. Is there anyone out there that could possibly shed some light on this for me?
Thanks for any suggestion.