RD 700 Not Making Sound

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
DebL66

RD 700 Not Making Sound

Post by DebL66 »

My daughter has a Roland RD700. Recently, it stopped producing sound. The sound would sudddenly come on again and work for hours/days and then not work again. We couldn't find any real pattern to why this was happening. We changed the leads and amp, and it was definitely the keyboard. We took it to a Roland certified repair shop, they opened it up, couldn't find anything obviously wrong, cleaned and resoldered a few things, left it on for 3 hours, and it worked fine. Repair guy said he couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it and the power was good. We picked it up, brought it home, it played fine. A day later, we turn it on...no sound again. I am perplexed.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if they found out what was causing it?
Silken Path

Re: RD 700 Not Making Sound

Post by Silken Path »

I had a powered speaker that would shut off. Local electronics shop couldn't repeat or find a suspected cause, and they returned it to me. Same thing. Took it back, and the tech left it on overnight and in the morning, the switch was on and the power was not. Replaced the amplifier board and solved the problem to this date. You could ask your shop to try the same - keep it a few days and experiment with it.
DebL66

Post by DebL66 »

Thank you! I appreciate the response and will mention it to the repair shop. I know the RD-700 is old, and she has a couple other digital pianos but she really loves this one.
hotpianokeys

Post by hotpianokeys »

Question for Silken Path regarding Roland 700 Not Making Sound. Did replacement of the amplifier board continue to solve your problem??? I have owned one for nearly 20 years and never needed service. I bought one for my daughter about 5 years ago and just recently has had the sound just quit at various times. After turning off then on the next day, came on but cut out in the middle of a recording again. So just wondering if the recommended fix worked??? Thanks for your help.