What 's the future for the Fantom G ?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
HaveIt

What 's the future for the Fantom G ?

Post by HaveIt »

Fantom G was released 2008, last update was 2010 and now the FA is out. I"m surprised the G is still for sale, that's an amazing long run. Would it make sense to purchase a G now? Is it still being manufactured or is this taking years for the old stocks to run out? I'd love to hear opinions on purchasing a Fantom G in 2014.

I have Fantom X and Kronos BTW, and totally hate using a computer.

B
alphaC

Re: What 's the future for the Fantom G ?

Post by alphaC »

Get rid of Fantom X and buy FA-06. Much better pallete of sounds, worse keyboard but you own Kroson...
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Thanks for your thoughts alphaC. I rely on sequencing other gear from the X. Is the FA comparable in features? Or is it closer to the G?

B
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Although the basic soundset of the FA is impressive, you need to take a long hard look at the feature set in the manual. Some things that you may consider would be "obviously included" since they are on the X and G, such as the ability to control external parts, is simply missing.
You also should go play one. I suspect that the build quality and keybed is more in line with the plastic Juno line than the tank construction of the Fantom S, X & G
Kljavi

Post by Kljavi »

Im also in progress of buying fantom g but also kronos. Probably will buy bought...Thinking that fantom G is better workstation that FA...True that it is realised in 2008 but still rocks...in pair with kronos this will be really good combination...
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Who is selling a new Fantom-G?
Honestly I would stick with the Fantom. I have a Fantom X6 and would like to have gotten a Fantom -G but missed out. IMHO, take it with a grain of salt, the FA06 seems to be a replacement for the Juno-G. Also personally I prefer the build quality of the Fantoms over the FA as well. The Fantoms offers aftertouch, the FA does not. The keys of the FA are like the new Juno. As a workstation I would think the Fantom G would be better having 128 tracks of MIDI and 24 tracks of audio recording.
Phantom139

Post by Phantom139 »

First Post here, so hello.

I recently picked up a great deal on a used Fantom X7 and honestly, I'm loving it so far. I see no reason to ditch on the Fantom X7 for the FA-06/08, it's got pretty much everything you'd need.
cello

Post by cello »

In answer to the OP's question re the future of the Fantom G, I think we now have the (expected) answer.

Several Roland websites have been redesigned/harmonised (USA and UK for example). On the updated sites, the Fantom no longer features - it is only the FA series listed under 'workstations'.

PS welcome to the clan Phantom139 :)
middle c

Post by middle c »

Just bought a used Fantom G8 off of ebay a while back, was in great condition and like, you I tried the computer route and came back to hardware synths to make music. I have played on Rolands for about 20 years. Started with a JV1000 which I loved, sold it and sorry I did. Still have my XP 30 and V Synth. The Fantom G8 is perfect for everything I do which is a home studio project. Get the Fantom G you will not be disappointed its a great workstation. To be honest I do use it with Presonus Studio One occasionally. If you really want aftertouch the Fantom G8 needs a hard press, I use the V Synth or the XP 30 for that.
Kljavi

Post by Kljavi »

Future for me is fantom G:)
I bought it and love it...it is great instrument thats for sure...with proper manual and lots of fantom links on the internet you can really do a great job with it!
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

cello wrote:...
Several Roland websites have been redesigned/harmonised (USA and UK for example). On the updated sites, the Fantom no longer features - it is only the FA series listed under 'workstations'.
If I conntect to Roland US http://www.rolandus.com/products/category/457 from Germany, I can still see the Fantom Gs. But they are not sold anymore, that's true. I don´t think the FA-06/08 can really be considered a replacement for the Fantom G.

The next logical step for Roland will be to equip the Fantom G with an Integra sound engine. Maybe the Fantom I6 is already in the making? If they also add a decent project and patch (multi samples!) managment it would be a perfect replacement.

Or maybe they just drop the high price workstation sector because of cheap to have DAWs and computer power?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I think one of the core features of the fantom series is RPS which requires the unit to have sequencer.
So any future fantom would also require a sequencer of that kind.
Kljavi

Post by Kljavi »

I think that Roland is waiting that the global economy make rebirth....for sure G can do almost everything that producers and musicians need for now...
If we can compare flagships models from Yamaha (Motif XF), Korg Kronos and Kurzweil PC3K....we can see that they are not so much in advance in front of Fantom G.FG has the biggest screen...interface is userfriendly indeed so....
Can someone give us any comparison and experience with models mentioned above and compare it to FG so that we dont need to open new topic regarding this subject...
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

But as as far as dumping the X for the FA and not the G..
At this point is a hard one because anyone with the X is between a rock and a hard place..
I have always said getting the G you will need to keep the X for backward compatibility.
and you cant really dump the X in favor of the FA because its only thing in its favor is the sound set
no sample based synthesis or rps.
and its sample engine apparently is lacking in functionality so if your looking to add that kind of sampler your prob better off getting an sp404 and add it to your kit.
I was looking to add the FA to my G until it was confirmed that sampling manipulation and recording was less than adequate. and saving songs and patches is a chore
personally if you want to step up from the X get the G I don't think the FA is the right direction from the X unless you really don't care for RPS, sample based synthesis and audio track features.
the G is a production/performance tool where as the FA is more of a performance one.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I think the best way to expand the Fantom right now is add MainStage or an Integra, if you like the way the G or X works, too many features missing on the FA, but yeah as performance tool, and FA-08 would be hard to beat price/performance wise I think.