What 's the future for the Fantom G ?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
mzonemusic

Re: What 's the future for the Fantom G ?

Post by mzonemusic »

Hello I'm new to this forum but i just purchased a Fantom G6 and i absolutely LOVE it. I played the FA06 and i didn't really care too much for its plastic feel and it just looks cheap to me... I sold my yamaha mo6 and now am happy with the G..
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

mzonemusic wrote:Hello I'm new to this forum but i just purchased a Fantom G6 and i absolutely LOVE it. I played the FA06 and i didn't really care too much for its plastic feel and it just looks cheap to me... I sold my yamaha mo6 and now am happy with the G..
Great! Just add a V-Synth XT/GT and you have all you need. Have fun! :)

- And if you want to save and organise your patches, esp. those with multisamples, you need the Yase software!
- I have found the S/P-DIF input especially usefull in conjunction with a S/P-DIF coax/toslink converter and a toslink 4x switch. I can play and sample four of my external synth modules via the Fantom G without going through a mixer and A/D->D/A conversions. So no additional noise is created.
I really love my Fantom G only the librarian sucks because it cannot handle patches that use your own samples.
micw

Post by micw »

Just got a G - New.. well a floor model. But a full warranty. Ok I 'm going nuts here because i just got yesterday, and I was thinking maybe i should have gotten the FA. Well, I'll tell you why and if you can tell me that i can do this on the G, I'll feel better. I was playing the FA, while they were handling my trade-ins, and I did something that i thought was awesome and something i always wanted to do with skip-back but never could.

I found a sound set i liked (with drums) - and the fa sounds are RICHHHHH, then I hit record ... I played 4 measures, and it automatically started looping for me, That is awesome. I then used the G6 to add leads. I tried something like that on the g6 using the loop feature - so I think theoretically it might be possible. But it happened so automatically and naturally on the FA, that I got all excited,

I LOVE my fantom x6 so many features, but one thing I do OFTEN is record my new songs on the fantom,. drums, main part, bass save it as a svq file , and then i sync with my computer recording program and record a track at a time - then i overdub vocals, guitar, and other sounds on the computer. that way ,, I get tracks for live performance PLUS the same tracks for the final demo and CD. I am confused with project files prj vs MID and SVQ. I know the fx6 SVQ's are not readable on the G6, but will the above process work at all on the g6? if i cant do that ... that's a problem

Also, I used a pcmcia sd card reader with a 1gb sd card on the fantomx - and now i hear about all sorts of garbage about the USB flash not working or being supported on the G6 ...is that true?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, Micw!

Please post your questions in a new Topic or Topics. That way people will be able to find them.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

The FA is a cheap alternative to the G with the lure of SN engine and a playback sampler which is not as usefull as its suppose to be.
Investment in the G is not a bad choice and is still a much better alternative than the FA for many reasons.
micw

Post by micw »

THanks! I like that answer
mikeyb333

Post by mikeyb333 »

I just bought an FA08. It only took me about 10 minutes to be completely underwhelmed with it. The UI was decent, the sequencer (which I never got around to even bothering with) was said to be 16 track, the keybed was on par with my Fantom X8 and a Fantom G8, but where I feel that Roland really dropped the ball was in this sounds. Even though it was their newest sound collection with the "supernatural" sounds, I was very underwhelmed with the acoustic piano sounds as well as the electric piano sounds which are what I primarily use. I had it for 2 days and took it back for a refund. I then went out and bought myself a used Fantom G8. Now I am plenty happy.
:)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Welcome to the club..

People are too willing to go gaga for new tech that they often miss whats already right in front of them.

The G is still the most advanced workstation on the market and from my perspective still kills the like of the FA.
yeah. sure its got SN but thats all its got.
Stick with the G and look no more, it grows the more you use it.
just like the TARDIS, its much bigger on the inside once you find the key. ;-)
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Quinnx. wrote: The G is still the most advanced workstation on the market and from my perspective still kills the like of the FA.
yeah. sure its got SN but thats all its got.
Stick with the G and look no more, it grows the more you use it.
You mean the most advanced ROLAND workstation? :) Meaning, what could not for example a kronos do :P
But anyway, I prefer Roland sounds and I have the FG6 and FA06 and personally overall FA has better sounds (Piano,Choir,Organ, maybe even strings - matter of taste of course). But you can not stop loving the FG, it has so much characteristics :)

What 's the future for the Fantom G ? Well, the future is bright if you can get more sounds to it.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

"Well, the future is bright if you can get more sounds to it."

thats a no brainer!
FG=Sampler+Synth engine (kinda makes it future proof)

you have a few choices from there...

1. Create your own

2. Download and inject new wave forms to create those new fresh patches

3. Resample from other sources

4. Downloads someone elses ready made fantom library
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Well said Quinnx!

The longer I have the G6, the more I use it. I was thinking of getting a FA-06 to replace it, but I can't see myself doing that. The G6 has become a bit of a centrepiece for me. My main board live (+ an old MacBook running MainStage if I need it), and has really proven to be a swiss army knife in the home studio. My MIDI controller, sound module (alongside all my other hardware and software), scratchpad sequencer, even FX unit and of course a great playing experience. I even have set up my studio that If I want I can ditch the computer and just use the G controlling all my external synths. It's a good machine.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The Fantom G is History and I wish that Roland would release a new version or something more comparable to it. I feel the FA series was more of a replacement for the Juno-G and I would rather would see a fuller featured workstation. I really liked the added MIDI tracks and audio tracks on the Fantom-G and those production features are lacking on the FA stuff. Never got the Fantom-G but I have the X6 and love it. Just wish it had more Midi Channels and Audio tracks. Maybe Roland will come through in the future.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

The Fantom G is History
from roland manufacturing standpoint sure..

From a music and production stand point.. It will be along time before its dead.
Its got too many possibilities to be ignored.
Now if you have not had time to be around it very long then your just not in deep enough.
Im in so deep now im swimming ;-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I mean history from Roland's production and support of course.