DIMM Ram and USB problem!?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Saxifraga

DIMM Ram and USB problem!?

Post by Saxifraga »

Hi guys. I am unable to tackle my 'load from USB' problems.
I got a Fantom G6 in 2013 (the last one they had in store). Upgraded it to ARX-02, ARX-03 and 512 MB Ram (crucial 512 MB 133-222-542-Z CT64M64S4D7E). I got multiple USB sticks who work with smaller projects like Analogies (50MB) flawlessly. Big projects, like Mega Pack and Giga Pack from Sinevibes, don't load very often successfully and most of the time they don't load. Mega Pack needs at best 45 min to load (220 MB). I now bought a Mutec DIMM 1GB from Thomann. It works well, but projects above 50 MB still don't load or need hours to load.
Maybe I should ask Roland for help? But why would my FG behave different for small and large packs? Others have either problems with all projects or none. If that USB stick interface is defective, why am I able to save small projects even with multisamples? :(

I have formated all my USB sticks on the Fantom G and tested them with the FG Live project.
Both RAM DIMM work with old Macs and Fantom G. I copy projects with finder on my MacBook Pro. I tried copying projects only with shell commands, but that made no difference. I removed .DS_Store directories and ._????.WAV files created by finder on OS X, but that did not help either. ???

What to do?
Synthtron

Re: DIMM Ram and USB problem!?

Post by Synthtron »

Not sure if this would help but some brands of USB memory sticks may not work properly. I use primarily San DisK and they work fine in my Roland gear.
Just a thought.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

For my G6, the Giga Pack loads in 7 to 14 minutes depending on which drive is used. But it only loads if the drive is formatted to FAT16. The Giga Pack never loads if my drive is FAT32.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Yes I've found the Mega Pack loads Ok but the Giga pack won't load at all. I think they are mostly the same. All projects I have created load fine of USB or internal memory. I have a piano pack I bought from Italy and it's quite big and loads fairly quickly. I have also noticed when changing projects the Fantom can load the new one painfully slowly regardless of size. Sometimes better to boot up with "exit" pressed and then load a the project you want and so it loads it automatically on boot up next time. My current project is about 100mb or so and loads in 50 seconds off USB.
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

Probably stating the obvious, but I had some issues with two projects I bought as well(never loading).
I found a workaround by..
Taking my formatted usb, creating a "NEW" project
I then connected the usb to the computer, and copying all the files/folders from your mega or whatever pack..
into that "new" project.

works then...
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Thx for the answers and help guys. :)
Will try some of your ideas. It seems the FG needs ages to analyze the "Fantom\ G/<name>.Prj/SMPL/" path if the number of samples goes beyond a certain limit.
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

yep.. I had the same issue.. try that "create your own" project and then copy the files into it.
Might work for you
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

booyakasha12 wrote:yep.. I had the same issue.. try that "create your own" project and then copy the files into it.
Might work for you
Wow! You saved me man! Worked like a charm. I did every trick I could think of, but not this easy solution. Do you have a Patreon account? That tip was worth money. Thx!
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

nice! I thought that might work.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Saxifraga - you mean that now everything loads up in a "decent" amount of time ?
If you create a new blank project and then copy the files into it, will it load faster?
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

G-Man wrote:Saxifraga - you mean that now everything loads up in a "decent" amount of time ?
If you create a new blank project and then copy the files into it, will it load faster?
Yes. The Sinevibes Giga Pack now loads in around 7 min. ! :)
That means I can now create decent piano multisamples that use the 1GB RAM DIMM I bought a few days ago.