Just purchased G6. Some simple questions...

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
johnxyz

Just purchased G6. Some simple questions...

Post by johnxyz »

Just purchased a spotless unused G6, mainly to replace my JP-8000 for live use.

Struggling a little on some minor points.. without a manual.

1-how do I get it to power up on the last Live/Single patch I used?
2-Similairly, how can I get it to return to the last Single patch I used after going to Live mode?
3-Is there a way to save changes to programs without making 5 button presses?

Thanks..
MrSteveVee

Re: Just purchased G6. Some simple questions...

Post by MrSteveVee »

Hiya,You can download the manuals from Roland
http://roland.com/support/article/?q=ma ... =FANTOM-G8

Also at the top of this forum is a tips and tricks as well as the micro manual by Artemity. It is certainly worth downloading and reading this

Additionaly there are several workshop documents that cover usage of the G in different modes including live mode

http://www.roland.co.uk/support/by_prod ... documents/

these should be able to answer all your questions. If you get stuck on any just ask

Steve
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Hi John XYZ,

Q1: You can't. Single mode patches are saved where ever they last were when the user last did a System Write. It's annoying.

Q2: It can't. Always goes back to the last patch saved with a System Write. It does remember what the last Live Set you used when switching modes. Again, it's stupid and annoying. But there you go.

Q3: Not that I'm aware of. Its's kind of a safety thing I think. Can actually be useful as there are so many memory slots it can be easy to forget to write to new one and accidentally overwrite something, so this stops the user doing that.
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Thanks for the answers. I'll check out the links and guess I'll have to get used top the idiosyncs! Its always the way when a new keyboard arrives... hours of programming highlight the shortcomings.

I love its immediacy with live setups though.

Thanks again!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Yes the G is very powerful but there are quite a few quirks. A lot of things that at first seem like face palm moments can be worked around though. Yes the immediacy with live setups is really good. It's a deep machine. Sounds very different to the JP-8000 though, although some JP-ish sort of sounds can be made with it. The combo of the G and the JP is quite good!