Is $2000 too much?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Fendson

Is $2000 too much?

Post by Fendson »

Hi,

Is $2000 too much for a Fantom G8? It seems to be in great condition. There is a minor scuff on the black front part and and a minor scuff on 3 keys... very minor. I am unable to try it out but am told that it functions perfectly. If it is a good deal, is there anything that I should ask that they can do to check it out like some kind of a system check or something?

Thanks all and Happy holidays!

Fendson

PS. What would be a good price If I could find one new... or say less than 20 hours?
Fendson

Re: Is $2000 too much?

Post by Fendson »

I can get a like new mint FG8 for $2500. Too much?
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

I think that I am going to do it.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Sounds a plan :) keyboards are a bit like a car, only you can tell if its right for you and worth it, and once purchased you will always find one cheaper as they devalue over time. I assume you have done your homework to see if the price is about right for your part of the world and even if not, is it worth paying more to get the keyboard you want or wait and wait for a lower priced one. Go look if you can, play it and then make your decision

good luck

Steve V
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

Hi Steve,

Well I have definitely seen the FG8 go for much less, but this one is like brand new. I really don't know what to do.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Ahh that delicious sensation of making a purchase, a combination of anticipation, excitement and caution all battling away :) If you want it for business then it is an easy decision, Does it have the right image, does it have or can it be programmed for the sounds you need, is there a cheaper alternative you could use and if not, how many gigs will it take to earn the pay back for the cost. But if its for pleasure !

I guess you know that the board was discontinued some time back so there will never be new ones entering the market, just the existing ones getting older by the day like us! Now for pleasure, the decision is more what the board is worth to you. Are you buying because you really want a G , have you played one, seen the video's, know its strengths and weaknesses. if its yes yes yes then the questions are, will you get $2500 worth of pleasure out of the G over the years to come or not?

Let us know how it goes

Steve V
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

[quote="MrSteveVee"]Ahh that delicious sensation of making a purchase, a combination of anticipation, excitement and caution all battling away :) If you want it for business then it is an easy decision, Does it have the right image, does it have or can it be programmed for the sounds you need, is there a cheaper alternative you could use and if not, how many gigs will it take to earn the pay back for the cost. But if its for pleasure !

I guess you know that the board was discontinued some time back so there will never be new ones entering the market, just the existing ones getting older by the day like us! Now for pleasure, the decision is more what the board is worth to you. Are you buying because you really want a G , have you played one, seen the video's, know its strengths and weaknesses. if its yes yes yes then the questions are, will you get $2500 worth of pleasure out of the G over the years to come or not?

Let us know how it goes

Steve V[/quote]
Hi Steve,
Haha, yeah I have been going through all of those emotions! This board will be for my personal studio use. I have always wanted a Fantom G. I played them on almost a weekly basis (at guitar center) when they came out but could never afford one. I eventually purchased a scratch and dent Korg M3 88 that I still use and love, but think it is time to finally get what I always wanted.

I understand fully that the FG is older tech and no longer supported, but it still rocks... I know this. Yeah, I could get a Kronos, but I have the M3. Yes, I realize that the M3 can't really compete with the Kronos with all the engines and uncompressed files, but I wasn't blown away when I played the Kronos. For my needs the M3 is fine... it has the Korg sound. Yamaha Montage? It is not for me. I have the XS rack so I have the motif sounds covered.

The FG will mostly be used as a demo recorder for me to fully flesh out my songs via the sequencer. I will be able to record my guitar and bass as well as my vox in the sequencer along with midi to really get my ideas fully formed before I record them "for real" into my DAW. Heck, sometimes I might even just simply use the FG instead of firing everything up. Also, I remember how awesome the keybed felt and how huge it sounded. The screen size is nice too!

I will let you folks know what happens!
trommis

Post by trommis »

Here in Norway the normal asking price for a pristine G-8, is about $1500,-/$2000,-
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

Well I got it and it is everything that I remembered and more! I can't wait to really dive into it this weekend. I love my M3, but this thing seriously kicks its arse!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

The longer I have the G the more I appreciate it. Just been diving back into, sounds better than I thought it did last time I used it. If the user delves in, it can do a lot of stuff.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Yeah.. people have been very quick to dump the G in favour of the latest and greatest..
and never quite getting deep enough into it..
But once you go deep enough you never come back.. :D
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I've just found a whole bunch of great preset patches around the 1449 mark that I must have glossed over somehow. Really good. The only weak sound category for me is the organs. I've also noticed if you load your own samples, the patches made with them sound really good. Just shows how good the sound engine is if you put uncompressed samples in there. I do like the newer instruments multi engine approach, but honestly in some cases the G holds up quite well against a lot of those sounds. I will be excited to add my JP-08 to the G though, that arrives next week!
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

I agree, the G must be the most underrated keyboard ever! I have the Motif XS that I purchased before the G but could never get on with it, the GUI is dire! When I got the G it was like a new world, so easy to use and operate, it just invites you to delve deeper. I also have a very old Triton-LE so I belong to all three of these main forums. I have followed the Kronos Forum for quite a while now and often see posts stating "pity the Kronos can't..." and "how can I... " and I am so tempted to write stating the "the G can do that". Now the Motif site is starting posts about their new Montage saying things like "look it has a set list" haha sound familiar!

Steve V
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

how does Fantom G work with integra? is it complimenting or redundant?