Sustain Pedal

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
HillsongUnited

Sustain Pedal

Post by HillsongUnited »

I've been using a Yamaha FC4 sustain pedal since I bought my Fantom. And every once in a while (usually once a week) the keyboard will not respond correctly with the pedal. It stops sustaining the notes and starts making "click" sounds. It's annoying and EXTREMELY embarrassing when performing live.

Does the Yamaha FC4 usually work well with the Fantom? Is it my specific keyboard that may have a bad pedal import or something? I bought the keyboard in July, so I'm not sure they'd even take it back now.
piaknowguy

Re: Sustain Pedal

Post by piaknowguy »

I would start by suggesting that if you are using a Fantom G in performance situations, that you purchase the pedal designed to work with that instrument. The DP-8 / DP-10 sustain pedals can send CC messages, allowing for features like half-damping etc.

If you must use the Yamaha, make sure that your 'Continuous Hold Pedal' option is set to OFF found in the System/Pedal menu.

Hope that helps!
PiaKnowGuy
Please feel free to listen to Pirates
PiaKnow
rohamm

Post by rohamm »

I would suggest you get the appropriate Roland pedal. I have a Motif and a G7. Bought the Motif first and the Yamaha pedals. Had to go "inside" the G7 board and change the polarities to make the Yamaha pedal work properly. For the $45- $50 dollars, it's worth it not to worry about the Yamaha/Korg/Kiurzwell connections. I use pedals for program up and down and for sustain. Using the Roland pedals has eased the anxiety of the "embarrasment" possibility ( and it did happen!).

rohamm
HillsongUnited

Post by HillsongUnited »

Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought the Roland RPU-3 Pedal Unit. You can look at it in this link. Does this have the ability to half-damp like you were talking about? I hope this will fix the problem!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-RPU-3-Pedal-Unit-H68...
rohamm

Post by rohamm »

I have not seen this unit before. Interesting. Does it plugin into the controller 1/2 jack or the hold jack...or all three somehow?

rohamm
rohamm

Post by rohamm »

Hi again,

I googled the pedal unit you bought. This is whtat I found:

RPU-3: Pedal Unit

A Grand Piano Pedaling Experience

Features
Combining three pedals into one convenient and clutter-free unit, the RPU-3 offers a real grand piano pedaling experience. With separate 1/4" outputs for each of its three pedals, the RPU-3 is compatible with keyboards such as Roland’s new FP-7F and RD-700 series pianos. In addition to providing the same pedal configuration as a grand piano, the RPU-3 also provides hands-free control of various instrument functions, such as the FP-7F’s Looper and harmony effects

So...No mention of the G...the three 1/4" jacks that come with the unit might ftr correctly in the RD-700, but what happens if you put one jack each into the Control 1 and 2 and the 3rd jack into the Hold. Do the Control 1 and 2 work correctly for the functions you want and then the Hold jack is your sustain?

thanks - rohamm
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

3pedal is imho overkill for the FG but i suppose you can use the variable input as a expression pedal, etc.

i use the DP8 on my FG8 no issue. :) i have a DP10 in the basement somewhere. lol
HillsongUnited

Post by HillsongUnited »

I just got the RPU-3 today. It works MUCH better than the Yamaha. I agree with you Kenchan, it is definitely more than necessary.

Rohamm, I plugged it in just as you described:
The right pedal - Hold
The center pedal - Control 1
The right pedal - Control 2

It is fully compatible with the FG. I have the Control 2 as Tap Tempo and Control 1 I haven't decided what to do with yet. Haha. It's just "there" right now.
rohamm

Post by rohamm »

Glad to hear it worked!

rohamm
RolandB0B

Post by RolandB0B »

We bought a RD-700 for our grandchildren some years ago. Got it cheap because a couple of notes were not responding. Changed all the velocity-sensor rubbers and it's as good as new!
This week bought the RPU-3 (because the Roland website explicitly says it is compatible) so came to the CLAN to see how to connect them.

There must be a mistype in HILLSONG's post because there are TWO indications for the right pedal and none for the left pedal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks