Reaction to the new Fantom G.....

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
stevie

Reaction to the new Fantom G.....

Post by stevie »

Hi all

Thought it would be best to start a new thread on your reactions to the new Fantom G - keeps all the good info. in one place - things are getting a bit scattered it seems.

Right, I'll go first - I've got mixed feelings.

Sound Engine:
Seems that there is virtually no development from the X. Without any further detailed info. the engine must be the same as the X. I.e 4 stereo tones per patch with the same synthesis options.

This is a real disappointment. Roland are proudly saying that the wave ROM is basically hijacked from the SRX library - well that's fine unless you've already got them all (like me). So sound wise from the Rompler engine, (without expansion), there is no change and offers nothing new at all.

There are NO srx expansions, and only two of the ARX expansions. These look interesting and seem to be complete synthesizers on a card - but they're bound to be expensive. So they aren't a replacement for SRX - they're more than adding addional ROM waves - you're adding a whole new synth. This is clever marketing by Roland - means if you've got the SRX library, you'll have to keep the hardware to run it.

Sequencer:
Awesome - this is where a lot of development has gone. If it's easy to use then this will be class leading.

Effects:
At last, Roland have finally ditched the DSP which first appeared in the JV line up. This architeture gave the limited effects processing power of the X. As long as the new DSP is flexible in assignment, sounds great (Roland usually do), then again this is class leading and along with the sequencer, this is where the development has gone.

Computer Integration:
Still seems sketchy, can it host USB? It seems no futher computer integration from the X.

Look forward to your comments.

Steve
stevie

Re: Reaction to the new Fantom G.....

Post by stevie »

I'll also add that there doesn't seem to be a rack yet. I'll look forward to that as long as it incorporates more ARX slots.

Thing is though, if you already have a XR with some SRX boards you'll be duplicating the sound set in the 'GR', so you'll only be buying it for the FX and ARX expansion (assuming no sequencer). So it's got to be a good reason for either adding to your XR plus SRX or replacing it - enough ARX boards would probably do that if you're willing to make the investment. So we will see....

Steve