NEW FANTOM-G, PLEASE TALK HERE

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
wodeh

Re: NEW FANTOM-G, PLEASE TALK HERE

Post by wodeh »

I might have mis-interpreted what was told to me, but I believe the Fantom G series will support a single 1gb stick of RAM anyway.
lelo

Post by lelo »

Those of you who have played or heard the Fantom G, do you think this board will cover all styles of music?
wodeh

Post by wodeh »

Woohoo. Looks like I may be getting on in April/May for review- if I haven't sold my Fantom X8 and bought one by then. The full low-down will be posted at Gadgetoid but I will do Q&A for anyone who hasn't by then had a chance to play with the unit. I'm sure plenty of others will be doing the same!
Tom T

Post by Tom T »

Those of you who have played or heard the Fantom G, do you think this board will cover all styles of music?

No not by a long shot. Rather than share and create a huge debate like the whole audio side of the Fantom G, I would suggest you wait and listen for yourself when it comes out. Sounds are subjective and you might disagree but I seriously doubt it. In terms of sounds, I am disappointed from what I heard at NAMM over the past few days.
shakil

Post by shakil »

Audacity: "Wait a sec... Some of you would prefer the G had fewer tracks, just so the 544 MB doesn't seem as much of a limitation? So for those of us who know how to stretch 544 MB into dozens of songs, you'd prefer to rob us of discrete tracks? That's not very nice. "

No, I would prefer the Audio Tracks use a separate engine, so it will not be limited by the amount of RAM and long load times, as it would stream from the Flash drive or HD. Leave the RAM for samples and phrases only.

You could always use regular MIDI track to call up your Audio samples for time strech.. etc.
So, it will not affect people who want to use G just as a sampler.
lelo

Post by lelo »

Maaaaan,, Tom T.

Iam not disapointed,just trying to get a general idea what is it's strength.I do worship and Urban gospel music, so i play alot of fender Rhodes with either phaser or chorus on it and b3's and midi grand piano sounds. I didn't like the rhodes on the fantom X, but i like the rhodes on the New Rhodes SRX card,i hope the Fantom G has some of those rhodes sounds in it and for as B3's i hope they put some patches in there that are Hot! I have a Yamaha Mo and was looking to get a roland to go along with it.I loved the XV5080 module and hopeing some of that magic that was in that module was pass on to the fantom G.
wudsiba

Post by wudsiba »

Real quick, I just want to say that I love just wanting one of these! It reminds me of being in High school staring at ads for the D50 or the S-770. Knowing their was no way I could actually get one, it was stiill a blast just to imagine and know that when I got home I could mess around with my S-550 sampler. Now I find myself staring at pictures and reading what's out there about the Fantom G while at work, knowing that I get to go home and mess around with my Fantom X. The difference is that now there is a chance I could actually buy what it is I'm dreaming about. Sorry, just taking a minute to look on the good side...

Anyways, I'm hoping for an ARX analog synth expansion (no time soon, its cool) Wouldn't that be something! Also, imagine if there is a major OS upgrade in a year or two? Roland has added major inhancements in the past (Audio expansion?)

And seriously ARTIMIO? If you can't comment for some reason, let us know. I really want to know what you think...
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

cix wrote:
I talked to the people at roland today and asked about the G they said it should be out in a few more weeks.

Few more weeks? I've been reading things like April/May,but this is
great if true.Does anyone actually have a release date?
Synthia

Post by Synthia »

I wonder if the new Fantom G has got sounds from the old Fantom FA76 and also has it got the solo synth like the S and X?
How about vocal samples?My Fantom S has the Platinum Trax expansion which has many vocal samples.
I need to sell my S to get the new G so I hope it has some vocal samples.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

The G is coming, so...and despite of all criticisms, it's the time to replace my OLD Xa as soon as they arrive in Europe.
Yes, I have one of those extint beasts. Somewhat basic compared to the X, you should say, but it has been doing it's job helping me to compose my music and I'm very happy with it.

But... the G came, and ...the Audio tracks, better MIDI sequencer, loads of patches (including lot's from the SRX boards), Nice and BIG colour display, well organized controls, Live and Studio modes, project based, seemless swithing of patches, mouse control, 22 effect routings, and finally the ARX Boards, and the last but not the least, the sound !!! it must be impressive (I didn't have the chance to hear it properly yet, but according to comments...) humm...made the BIG difference, so I have no doubt in changing my Xa !!! (even if I had a SRX packed X)

Take care
PauloF

NAMM G Videos

Post by PauloF »

Artemio, believe me, I know the work that takes to properly publish Videos on a web site (as I do that from time to time for the company I work for...), so I don't want to disturb you in any way, but do you have any idea when at least a couple of those Still Learning NAMM videos will became available for us all to see ?

Thanks
Keep up the good work

Take care
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Yeah, I'm hot for the vids, too. What's the timetable?

BTW, Is it not time to name this category "Fantom-S, Fantom-X, Juno-G, Fantom-G" to reflect the evolution of the species?
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

Good morning from Germany!

I am as well looking forward to seeing the videos!

btw
What about the videos Jim Stout announced on the NAMM opening day (prior in this thread). He said, we should watch out for the videos from the stand on www.rolandus.com. But there is none but the introduction to the Gs, yet... :-(
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The temporary location for videos is here:
http://bin.fantomized.info

I'd need Dan to upload the originals, because WMV is not the best format by far (low quality, not compatible with many players). I'd like to convert videos to H.264 QuickTime which is cross-platform.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW, I just posted my thoughts on the G here:
http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... d=1&page=1