Fantom G ARX Expansion Board Thread

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
2TIM316

Fantom G ARX Expansion Board Thread

Post by 2TIM316 »

Please post information regarding the new Fantom-G ARX Expansion boards in this thread. Please do not post general Fantom-G comments or opinions in this thread. Rather use the main discussion thread:

http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=s ... d=1&page=1

Does anyone know if the ARX boards can do alternate synthesis technologies such as virtual analog? Does anyone know what future ARX boards Roland is planning. Does anyone know what the price and availability of ARX boards will be? Does anyone know what the polyphony of the ARX-2 board is?
V-CeeOh

Re: Fantom G ARX Expansion Board Thread

Post by V-CeeOh »

hey 2TIM316
back in business uh? ;-)

First of all : you can Download the full ROLAND NEW PRODUCTS CATALOG in pdf format HERE.
Thank you Roland Australia :-)

Then to (try to) anwser your questions
1 - Acording to the information :
Each ARX board is a synth itself, powered by Roland’s proprietary SuperNATURAL sound technology for organic, emotional expression. Optimized effects and custom graphic interfaces are exclusive to each ARX board. ARX allows you to create unique instruments with the highest-quality sounds and organic control.
So I would say, yes

2- Well, we already have 2. I would like to have a VA board and I would bet there will be an organ board ;-)

3 - Not yet, but I think there are already some prices available elsewere

4- I believe that the poliphony will not be the same for all the boards and depends on the processor capacity and board type. 24 voices would be good for a VA board, enough for the drums (ARX-1) board but by no way is enough for the E.Piano (ARX-2) board.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Thx, VC. I think probably the ARX discussion will wind up on the main thread. It looks like this is very much a new technology where even the Roland reps aren't sure where it might lead.
PauloF

Fantom G ARX Expansion Board

Post by PauloF »

Hi guys, I've been "eating" all these Fantom G threads, and from what I could read... Roland did it again !!! maybe not what some guys were expecting, but all in all, a very good looking, compreensive follow-up for the X (at price tag similar to the competition).

I'm eager to get my hands on one...

About the ARX boards, does that not resemble you something like the V-synth GT's sound generator ? just wondering...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Maybe I shoud have used the main thread...sorry guys
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

We're all waiting to find out exactly what the ARX boards are capable of. Right now we know they can add more samples and MIDI addressable parts. What we don't know is what types of alternate synthesis techniques they'll support (i.e. VA, FM), and if or when that will come about.
SammyJames

Fantom G / ARX Boards / More information for you...

Post by SammyJames »

From Sonicstate.com/news:

News / Synths

WNAMM08: Fantom-G Expansion Boards
Roland launches ARX boards for drums and electric piano 21-Jan-08

Roland has announced the new ARX-01 and ARX-02 expansion boards for the new Fantom-G series. Fantom-G is the first instrument equipped with Roland’s ARX expansion-board slots. Each ARX board is a synth in itself, powered by Roland’s proprietary SuperNATURAL sound technology.

Roland say that the ARX-01 Drums Expansion Board is a music-production dream. Thanks to its SuperNATURAL voice engine, musicians have complete control of the elements of each drum, such as shell depth and muffling. Once each drum is crafted, music creators can further refine it with the built-in compressor/EQ, reverb, powerful multi-effects, and an onboard mixer for adjusting the volume and pan position.

With SuperNATURAL sound, detailed control, and ultra-realistic amp modeling, Roland say that the ARX-02 Electric Piano Expansion Board puts new expression and realism into a classic instrument category. Musicians can change the position of the pickup, and choose from five amp models with dynamic control. Volume and tone change smoothly and realistically, based on the strength and weakness of the keyboard performance.

Optimized effects and custom graphic interfaces are exclusive to each ARX board. Roland believe that ARX allows musicians to create unique instruments with the highest-quality sounds with organic control.

And from ME:

It appears as though Roland has succeeded in integrating COSM into their sampling engines. I say this because it seems like they are doing some pretty impressive and deep stuff, stuff that would suggest a new technology. If this IS the case, then I'm impressed, because it means that they are doing things that no one else is -- without calling too much attention to it.

Anyway, that is my thought. Anyone else wanna comment? Be my guest.

- Sammy