Fantom G.., will be a HIT!

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
squeak_D

Fantom G.., will be a HIT!

Post by squeak_D »

WOW, this new Fantom G is going to freakin ROCK! Like it or not I would say that Yamaha's Motif XS, may need to take a bow to Roland here as clearly Roland has moved beyond in an area or two over the Motif XS and even the Korg M3

First things is first...., that new 8.5" screen is exactly the improvement the Fantom series needed. Granted the screen on the X series is nice, but the Fantom (like the XS, and Korg M3) at times can get difficult to see with the amount of info on a screen at one given time. Roland has clearly blown past Yamaha's XS, and Korgs M3 with their new screen.

I don't think it's even fair for any of us to speculate on the sounds as not one of us (common folk-or we the little people) have had the chance to play one yet. I look at it like this. I don't care if you have an X, XS, or M3..., they ALL sound good and have their strong points. Sounds are soooooo freakin subjective that I can't help but laugh my butt off with online wars stating this is better than that in terms of sound quality. I've seen people like the piano on a Casio Privia, and hate the piano on a Fantom X.

Roland def gets credit for the sequencing platform now. It seems they integrated computer style sequencing into this workstation. I say bravo to that. Plus Roland (on top of the game here) even added a USB mouse port on the G line to make things even easier and to simplify navigation. That was a very good move IMO.

Poly..., that's currently up in the air at the moment. 128 poly is where most are now, but with 100+ midi tracks and 24 audio tracks, I can't really see 128 notes holding up there. HOWEVER..., and this depends on how Roland's poly assignment will be for patches, it may not be so bad when you compare it to what the Motif XS does with 128 note poly. Yammie has some 8 element voices, and even they say that some voices will drive your poly straight into the ground in mix mode. Personally I think 8 element voice structure is a bit much, and hopefully Roland has designed the G to handle the 128 note poly with a 100+ midi tracks and 24 audio tracks.

Can't wait to see these things hit the streets. From what I see the price of these will be around where the competition is currently at.

In all I have to say that this new screen, mouse input, sliders, and new (computer style) sequencing will without question have Yamaha and Korgs attention. I'm willing to bet the next Yamaha workstation will have a bigger screen, and they'll change the seq platform.

Roland's timing for release is perfect too. Everyone is already quite used to hearing about the XS, and the M3, and only a select few can just go out and by Korgs big O line. From what I've heard the G has really caused a stir there.

Squeak
Tom T

Re: Fantom G.., will be a HIT!

Post by Tom T »

Took some time and spoke with some of the guys at Keyboard magazine today. Apparently more people had a chance to interact with the new Fantom G. While I agree sounds are subjective and Roland has said that its not done with the sounds, everyone I've spoke with directly (granted all five of them) have said the same thing. The sound doesn't have any real wow factor. They made comparisons to the Motif XS at NAMM and how it had that wow factor in terms of the sound. While I am going to wait and reserve judgment until I can play one, I am very concerned because so many people who know instruments, interact with them regularly, have a good working knowledge base and are supposedly unbiased have all said the exact same thing regarding the sound. There are also alot of posts from people who have supposedly been at NAMM that have said the same things.
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

Korg M3, Motif XS, Korg Oasys == Owned.
ahfei

Post by ahfei »

Agree. And apparently the price is similar to Motif XS and M3, thats just perfect.
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

G8 will complete my setup: S90ES will be replaced by fantom G8
which will stand right against my motif XS6. Best workstation in pair with best sounding keyboard.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Hey guys, we're discussing the Fantom-G here:

http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... d=1&page=1

We're trying to keep it to one thread to eliminate confusion. Can you take this discussion over there? Thanks!