Roland G8 - Paul White NAMM video clip

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
SkylineUK

Roland G8 - Paul White NAMM video clip

Post by SkylineUK »

There's so many postings about the new G Series I apologise in advance if this has already been posted. It's a very interesting video of Paul White, Sound On Sound's Editor in Chief, interviewing 'Ed' on the Roland G8 stand.
SOS Clip
Also: The Offical Video

I'm personally not enamoured of the direction the G is going in, i.e. 'complete studio in a box' rather than aiming to be just a damn good synth/workstation. I don't have any need for the former. Still, I'll probably be tempted to trade up some time...just as soon as I've figured out more of my X!

Click and drop by my site!
Ori

Re: Roland G8 - Paul White NAMM video clip

Post by Ori »

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

I agree with your point regarding the G. I am wondering whether the money for upgrading from the X to the G would be better spent on a top notch DAW (sonar 7 looks great) and suite of soft synths and effects for my PC. (eg NI Komplete/Reason etc for example). Surely a DAW and the X would be a better proposition than the G by itself?
SkylineUK

Re: Roland G8 - Paul White NAMM video clip

Post by SkylineUK »

Hi Ori
I've got Sonar 7 which I use with some soft synths, but mostly with my Fantom X6, and a BOSS Dr-880 for drums and guitar input, which is why I'm personally not in the market for a 'one box' solution, which can tend to be a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Still, times change and no doubt that's the way of the future (perhaps). The trouble is with all this stuff is that you have to be careful you don't spend more time climbing new leaning curves than making music!

However, I must say I'm very attracted by the bigger screen on the G and some of the other features, but I'll wait until I hear what it sounds like, particularly the new expansion boards, before thinking of trading up!

John