Who's Gonna Make The Switch From X to G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Keys BeMe

Re: Who's Gonna Make The Switch From X to G?

Post by Keys BeMe »

Making the switch from the x8, can't wait!
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

2 Months feels like an eternity right now!

I am getting stomach aches from anxiety....

4 years is a long time to wait for a new board...
I got a lot out of my X7, but I want a G now!

Thankfully, because of a good tax refund, it appears I will be able to keep both for a little while until I get all my patches set up.
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

>>>Thankfully, because of a good tax refund, it appears I will be able to keep both for a little while until I get all my patches set up.

from IRS:
unfortunately this year you have underpayment in taxes and you need to send us 5000$.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Bankruptcy, here I come...
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Not me. Despite many good things in the X, including improved fidelity, there seems to have been little improvement in sample realism over the last 10+ years, not in the X or the G. eg With a dedicated piano ROM and 2 piano boards we have some good pianos, but no great pianos. Electric guitar waves are just plain awful. Strings & brass still have fake brightness with dirty high-end saw waves. I could go on.

My next board will need to have a significant improvement in this area, and its not in the G. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles Roland adds (and the G has some cool ones), the samples are the core of the tone and they are sounding very dated. For now, my X is good enough for what it does well.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Pre-Ordered.
smurf

Originally posted by Graeme:

Post by smurf »

Originally posted by Graeme:

"Electric guitar waves are just plain awful. Strings & brass still have fake brightness with dirty high-end saw waves. I could go on."

"My next board will need to have a significant improvement in this area, and its not in the G."

>> Can you be so sure?? Since Roland hasn't produced any recent demos of the Fantom G and nobody but Hidezaku Tanaka and a few other higher ups really know what it sounds like with the OS finally finalized, you therefore may be a little presumptuous in your assumptions about the G's sounds. I agree with most of your assessment about the Fantom X sounds e.g. guitars, etc. but there is a possibility that Roland has taken a giant leap forward in this and other areas regarding the Fantom G sounds.

After hearing the Fantom G in more depth you may reverse your decision about purchasing one. I for one will wait until the final verdict is out regarding the G's sounds before I decide one way or the other about purchasing one myself. But before any of us give it a big thumbs 'down' it probably is wise to wait until we can at least hear it for ourselves before making that determination. Wouldn't it be something if the Fantom G turns out to be a big thumbs Image regarding the sounds? Now that's a novel thought eh?... ;) Hope it's true. It's gotta be better then the previous generation X though. That's a given I would think.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Yeah true, I haven't heard the G. I based that on their claim that the G waves are Fantom X plus selected SRX waves, which is what I already have in my X ;-).

But you're right, they might surprise us with some new and improved waves.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I think Roland may have junked many of the not so good samples and semi duplicate ones from S, X and SRX and unified some things in a good way...

I hope anyway!

As you know the Fantom X still had the entire Fantom S soundset in it...
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

Graeme:

...btw: the "G" stands for "Graeme's Great Guitar" sounds, so you will have to buy one!

;-)
RockDisciple

Post by RockDisciple »

I just got a Fantom XR and bought an SRX-06 and an SRX-11 to record with. That substituted an old Korg module I used the last time I recorded with a band back in 2000/2001. I have to say I'm really happy about the sound.

I'm going to wait and see if they have something substantially better than the SRX-11 piano sound and better strings than the SRX-06 and SRX-04 (which I'm thinking about buying if I can't get the definition I need out of the SRX-06 - but I'm thinking that for background orchestrations the single velocity sampling might do).

So I'll record a CD this year and see if that makes me any money, before making the switch...
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

SRUT, BUT wrote:
btw: the "G" stands for "Graeme's Great Guitar" sounds, so you will have to buy one!

Fortunately, Graeme already plays a real guitar, although I don't know how many people think it's great. I got a good reaction recently at the deaf society.