Who's Gonna Make The Switch From X to G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
stoutmasterd

Re: Who's Gonna Make The Switch From X to G?

Post by stoutmasterd »

I purchased the X7 in March of last year and I just installed the SRX-07 Card. I am still climbing that large learning curve from my Roland analog gear. For now, I will continue to explore the X7 and its associated limitations before considering a G7.

Based on what has been reported, the G would be a perfect upgrade for live performances. Although, I am disappointed that the G appears to be using a dated processor and has no increase in polyphony or RAM over the X. If you take four years to develop a keyboard from the ground up to replace the X, it has me confused as to why would you still be using a dated processor and limited memory, which are the foundation for the keyboard?

For those of us who will still be using a version of the X, I would hope that a final software upgrade will be offered, but I won’t hold my breath waiting for it.
RevP

Post by RevP »

I have the X8 and the X6 and was thinking of buying another X8 for my office studio. I am impressed with the changes of the Fantom G. Expanding the audio tracks will really help my work-flow (yet still concerned about 128 polyphony). I spend a lot of time writing, composing, and arranging on my Fantom before dumping all to my computer DAW. With a few good mics, I could do most of it on the G and then use the DAW for major EFX/final mix. USB 2.0 transfer may be a plus as well.

My biggest concern would be compatibility of the sampler. I love Art's Planet sounds and Coakley's Piano sounds and they are becoming a huge part of my studio/live work. I am waiting to hear if their Fantom X products are compatible with the coming Fantom G sampling system. If so, consider me $3.5K poorer (or whatever the price is).
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

If my wife will let me....

I have spent a large amount of time over the last several years programming my X7 to meet my performance needs.

I would have to have the two side by side for a while to make sure I could get what I need out of the G in a reasonable amount of time.

I would have to buy from a place with a good return policy.
I do not think I could afford to keep both.

Where's the rack when you need it?
Andy Keys

Not me

Post by Andy Keys »

Will stick with the X7. I know it can do most of what I need, just not sure how to make it do all of it.

Along with the SH-32 and an Alesis Nano-Piano I've got all I need until that genuine Hammond comes along...
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

I'm undecided still ... Several knowns and unknowns remain ...

1) How much better does it REALLY sound?

2) Can you route more than one MFX in a row ... ? In patch remain mode? In studio mode?

3) What about EQ per track? I guess the G doesn't have it (a terrible shame really as I was looking forward to that much more than the showier and awesome "effects remain") ... SO how will this lack of EQ per track translate into actual use/sound? Will there be a practical workaround? I'm going to need some time with it first ...

4) Sampling rate is still the same even though audio output rate is better ... Isn't anybody else a little troubled by that when using the Fan-G as a recording source? (Has the re-sampling issue been addressed at least?)

5) No additional inputs, no simultaneous recording of tracks ... (That and a color X/Y touchscreen — or dedicated x/y pad — are my two biggest disappointments with the Fan-G.)

For me, I'm much more interested in getting an excellent audio interface/mixer and new DAW software so I can record all my synths simultaneously and return to the precision of computer recording ... (Right now I'm doing EVERYTHING on my Fantom, which admittedly, is a little limiting ... but it has taught me how to record and perform much more "in the moment," which is good."

However, getting a new DAW and Digital Mixer would render somewhat superfluous many of the G's improvements to the sequencer (except when using it live ... but then, ultra precise control of the sound design, IMO, doesn't really matter as much 'cause so many subtleties get lost in the live environment anyway ... )

Don't get me wrong ... The Fan-G is definitely many steps in the right direction (especially from a competitive standpoint with Yamaha and Korg) ... and all the improvements are worthwhile and welcome ... Also, Roland did a good job of keeping it at a manageable price point ...
howardS

Post by howardS »

I agree with Diametro and am undecided. I still need a lot more information before I would consider upgrading my X6.

My X6 chokes if I use either the expression pedal or a midi controller to create a wah-wah effect. It seems that the board can handle a little bit of controller data but not too much before it chokes and the notes start to get stuck. If this type of glitch was fixed and if I can easily move over my songs and patches then I would consider the upgrade as it seems to be priced right.

If I could trigger RPS from a remote keyboard and have it assigned to an independent Midi channel then that would also help me decide to get it.

Of course it also depends how it sounds to my ears and how it works once they finally finish the software and bring it to market. I might also wait for at least one major software upgrade as I am sure the new software will have some bugs in it.
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

I just bought my X6 six months ago. And I have the original VS880. I will probably still be using them by the time the Fantom H, I, and J come out. And besides, I still haven't learned the X well enough to be tired of it. Me? I'm still a happy camper. I wish all new G owners the best, but my X is all I've got right now.
taichi

Post by taichi »

Not anytime soon. The product itself isn't coming out till late April
Waiting for more demo videos,sounds etc before upgrading.
And I am still a newbie with FantomX so wont let it go for now :)

(I am looking Krg-M3 closely, but the price puts me off)
jsepeta

not me

Post by jsepeta »

I just picked up a version 1 V-synth and a Motif Rack on ebay (anxiously awaiting their arrival), so I'm sure my gf would KILL me if I got the G. The X8 and my Kurzweil K2500XS sound great as the heart of my studio, and my other synths are complementary to them, adding more sounds and lots of knobs for fiddling with. Also I've got to let a few more vintage pieces go to fit the new pieces.
luislobo

Post by luislobo »

And if you don't have the budget to pay the whole price for the fantom-g and are willing to give away your fantom-x8 in return?

What is my best shot ?

(I live in Europe)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

" it has me confused as to why would you still be using a dated processor and limited memory, which are the foundation for the keyboard? "

Very simple..
their in the business of spending as little as possible to gain the maximum return..
and from the reactions here it looks like its working.. ;)
JEM

Post by JEM »

M8, I think you have to cool off a bit and let people do what the heck they want to with their own hard earned cash.

PS And I mean that in the most brotherly way possible. We're not at war here. Isn't this supposed to be a community of enthusiasts for a manufacturer of interesting but ultimately universally unthreatening recreational electronic musical products rather than a divisive clique that empowers one group at the expense of another?

Yours friendly-ly,

Jem

PS. Yes, just to pre-emt you,, I'm sure I probably am a tosser! :-)
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

I don't think I'll be making the jump. I've had my X7 for almost three years and I've got four SRX cards in it. It does everything I need (although the only 'must-have' for me on the G is the one MFX per part in the Performance mode) and I can't justify the price hit I'll take to sell the X7 and the SRX boards just for a G. If the SRX boards would have worked in a G (separate SRX and ARX slots anyone?) then I might consider it. I've got too many Performances set up for live playing for me to have to go back and redo them all. As weird as it sounds, if I *wasn't* playing out in a band I might be more inclined to make the jump since I wouldn't have all these set-ups to worry about.

Pass (for now).
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

Currently playing the X8 every other week at my church, and have a lot of sequences already setup on the X. It's somewhat of a pain having to drag it back and forth to church.
We are building a new church building and will have our grand piano back when we move in around June, so I'm hoping the release of the G will drive down the price of used Xs so I can pick up and X6 and I can just leave the X8 and home and the X6 at church.
So, I think I'll wait and see what the next evolution of workstations brings in 3 or 4 years. Roland of course.
It's too bad we probably won't see any more software upgrades for the X though. They sure could do a lot more with some additinal programming.
Vlad_77

Staying with my X8

Post by Vlad_77 »

I guess I am of the old school (though I am not old) that believes that synths/workstations never lose their ability to create fresh sounds. I have seen the specs on the G and while impressive, I do not see any change in the synthesis ENGINE. I love to create sounds and will wring every bit of power out of my gear.

I am still finding great secrets and sounds to be created in the following gear I own in addition to the X8:

FA-76
Kurzweil K2000
Korg Wavestation EX
Roland Juno-106
Roland SH-32
and lastly, the "humble" Yamaha TG33

I know, not an impressive rig - on the surface - but the sound creation possibilities of my rig seem limited only by my imagination.

The X8 feels wonderful to play and the sound for my money is wonderful! The FA-76 has a wonderfully fast action good for lead work and both Fantoms have a decent synthesis engine.

Add to that the crazy possibilities with the K2000's V.A.S.T., the Korg and Yamaha's capabilities and the cool aggressiveness of the SH-32 and I think I am pretty much set as far as new synths go.

Besides, at this point, I am seriously looking to purchase an Oberheim Matrix 12! Old school yes, but so is a Stradivarius!!

Best,
Vlad