My comments on the new Fantom-G series

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Jimknopf

Re: My comments on the new Fantom-G series

Post by Jimknopf »

"Both korg and yamaha don't give a damn about on board sequencing/sampling anymore leaving it to computer."

... and both Korg and Yamaha are dead wrong about that.

Most keyboarders I know *love* to be able to have all their band arrangements and idea stuff ready for use right at rehearsals and gigs, or to be able to work on a project anywhere right at the keyboard. This does not depend on how good they get by with computers and DAWs.

I myself am happy using PC sequencer power whenever I need it.
It's a world of its own, with many more DAW functions, many plugins etc.

But still this is not a bit of alternative to fast workflow directly at a keyboard, and even less soon as it reaches Fantom G level with a big screen and a mouse. You can be sure most musicians prefer this direct workflow plus the new live usability over anything Korg or Yamaha can offer today.

Korg and Yamaha will have really hard times now, because the *only* area where they still have advantages are *some* sounds where they in part provide significantly better stuff than Roland (organs, some brass stuff, some acoustic instruments etc.). But what is *much* more important to any live musician is fast sound and effect switching without glitches like in the new live mode.

So a few better sounds will not be enough to compare to all the live and studio usability of the Fantom G. And, as far as I got first notion from the videos, Roland even will leave them behind in sound areas where the new ARX boards shine: that Rhodes seems well able to beat anything from Korg or Yamaha, even more than the SRX-12 board already did.

So with all due scepticism to Roland sound design (see my comments above), they are the No. 1 workstation not by a small margin, but simply by one or two higher classes with the G.

As I said, it is definitely playing in an altogether other league than they now. And with much better user access and usability it even poses a threat to the more than double expensive Oasys.
The reason is simple: If I can get better basic live and studio functions on the Fantom G, why should I prefer an Oasys over using the G together with a powerful top synth or module (the G has good master keyboard functionality), still being lower in price range but superior in sound variability? For example a Fantom G7 with a little Access Snow module (1100€) being easily placable on top is much more synth power than the Polysix in the Oasys. But both together just cost 3600€ compared to 7000€ for a Korg Oasys 76.
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

.. and both Korg and Yamaha are dead wrong about that

of course, they lost market in workstations already because of that.
I refuse to use DAW unless I 'm composing symphony for whole orchestra, and since probably that never will happen I'll stick to on board sequencer.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I want one!

No complaints here.

I wish there was more that two expansion slots, however, but with the better sound selection to start with this should not kill me.

Maybe the rack will hold more?
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

I wish there was more that two expansion slots

what for? This is always killing me, why more? If there would be 8 somebody would certainty ask why not 9 and so on when one is enough for any expansion as long as roland put in very good stock sounds like yamaha did with motif. With motif XS I don't need any expansion slots. (and I don't have)
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I don't like all of Yamaha's sounds. For one, they have used the exact same Electric Piano waves for 3 generations of keyboards now. When new technology and special sound sets come out, I like the option of upgrading instead of waiting for the next board....In Yamaha's case, even 3 generations of boards have produced no new Rhodes or Wurly's.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Do not worry about the 2 expansion slots, if that is not enough, Sinevibes will always help you fill your G's with new sounds ;-)
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

Electric Piano waves for 3 generations of keyboards now.

until now, check new XS EPs, they are stunning.
BigBrotherMotown

Roland is Genius!!!

Post by BigBrotherMotown »

Let me tell you how...

They WAITED to release their workstation...a move that MOST thought was stupid considerinng that the other 2 were coming HARD with their New models....but by releasing their workstation LAST they actually assured that they will have the upper hand in the workstation market for a LONG TIME!!!

The features like the XLR input and the Massive amount of effects PLUS the 24 AUDIO TRACKS clearly put the G ahead of the Motif and slightly ahead og the Korg M3 IMO...

Consider this....if the "Life span" of a workstation is 4 years.....then that means that the NEXT releases by Korg and Yamaha wil only be CATCHING UP to what the Roland has NOW...There will be virtually no reason to SWITCH from the others in terms of FEATURES (We all know that sound is a Preference) so....
It wont be until the SECOND release (8 years from now) that those other 2 companies will include enough features to SURPASS what the G gives us already!

So in essence by WAITING to release LAST and keeping a TIGHT HUSH on the features of the G, Roland will basically have the "Workstation Gane" ON LOCK for t LEAST the next 8 years!!!!!

Just My Opinion
bobbybland

Chord Triggers on Pads?

Post by bobbybland »

Will the new Fantom G allow chord triggers on the Pads? One thing I like about the Oasys/Korg Karma/M3 is the chord pad triggers ,does anyone know if the G will be able to assign these to the 16 pads? Thanks
swandiver

Roland behind on live mode

Post by swandiver »

"Korg and Yamaha will have really hard times now, because the *only* area where they still have advantages are *some* sounds where they in part provide significantly better stuff than Roland"

There's a second thing, although I'm desparately hoping and praying this is fixed by the time the final OS is released: live performance, especially for electronic dance artists, needs more than one arp plus rhythm. Roland has had four years to up the ante on this from the X. If Roland doesn't come somewhat close to matching Korg's Karma (4 simultaneous GE's) or the Motif XS' 4 simultaneous arps, then they will still be behind in the live electronic dance market. Which sucks, because as a live electronic dance artist, I would hate to forego an awesome machine like the Fantom-G simply because it won't function in live mode as well as the Motif XS or Korg M3.. . .
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

swandiver:

Why not use RPS which gives you it's own pattern of any complexity per each part?
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi all.

Well, I'm not an electronic dance musician, but I'd imagine swandiver's response will be along the lines of "RPS doesn't automatically transpose notes based on input from the keyboard, it's a static pattern." If the Fantom-G had 4 arpeggiators similar to the arp in the V-Synth (or Yamaha's stuff), that would be a significant improvement over the Fantom-X arpeggiator which is quite basic (can't even arpeggiate MIDI CCs with it).

With regard to the Fantom-G, I'll wait and see what the biggest gripes are from first run Fantom-G users. If we all will recall, the first run of Fantom-X boards had a high incident of some fairly significant hardware problems that required a main board replacement in most cases (the popping during patch switching). After that experience with my own Fantom-X8, I think I'll wait to see if something similar happens with the G before plunking down $3500.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Artemio; can you comment on this?
'Create complex setups with 16 insert effects per patch, plus global reverbs and choruses.'

This would seem to me that the effects are freely assignable, but that would seem to contradict the statement that all parts will have full effects in multimode. Personally I'd love to see the option of using more than one effect per patch, for instance using 2 effects on 8 parts.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hugo, I did not have a chance to work with the board for that long, so I cannot comment, sorry. Plus, remember, Roland say it's a prototype, so some things may not be there even on the NAMM display boards.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Ok, thanks anyway. I must say this workstation appears to be all I've ever dreamed about in such a machine. I've already started saving up for it :)