NEW FANTOM-G - THREAD #2

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
timster

Re: NEW FANTOM-G - THREAD #2

Post by timster »

A while back, I spoke about my newbie awareness of 16 tracks on my Juno G only being able to share 3 mfx's and someone had replied that a machine that has the capability of offering a separate mfx for 16 tracks costs well over $8000, and now we have the Fantom G, that's pretty awesome right there, so we can nit pick all we like but let's see 4-6 months from now $3000 / 12 paydays hmm ..
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Ocomain,
I had a problem with both the Fantom S and X keyboards in that the keyboard case seemed to amplify the sound of the keys being played.
I had the same problem. After a visit to Roland Europe we finally discovered that it is the lid on the memory/srx compartment that is causing this as the edges of the lid resonate on the main body. If you apply some felt tape along the edges of this compartment so that it is between the main body and the lid it will significantly reduce the acoustic sound the X makes when you starting pounding those keys.
PauloF

Question about G's Sequencer

Post by PauloF »

Hi guys,
I've been reading the entries in all the G threads, and I couldn't find any reference to this, so, even if this seems to be a very dumb question, does anyone knows:

if the Fantom G's MIDI sequencer is capable of recording in STUDIO mode and assigning each patch, composing that particular STUDIO mode, to it's own MIDI track ?

Thanks
PauloF
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

Arjan,

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to let me know about the solution to this perplexing problem I'd had with my Fantoms! Your invaluable information may even prove useful with the new Fantom G, so I'll keep it in my back pocket, just in case!

Many, many thanks!!!

Misha
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi, I just though I should be back at this thread and share some aditional information I got about the G.

About the tracks
Like Audacity already said we have 128 MIDI tracks for Internal/External/ARX parts PLUS 24 Audio Tracks. This makes a total of 152 tracks

About the Effects
The effects structures will be like this:

SINGLE MODE
Keyboard Part (Patch) = Patch FX + Chorus + Reverb
Sample Pad Part = Patch FX
Rhythm Pad Part = Patch FX
System = MFX 1 + Mastering + Input FX

LIVE MODE
Live Set (8 Parts) = Patch FX (one for each part) + Chorus + Reverb + MFX 1 + Mastering + Input FX

STUDIO MODE
Studio Set (16 Parts)= Patch FX (one for each part) + MFX 1 + MFX 2 + Chorus + Reverb + Mastering + Input FX

As you probably noticed, there will be "only" 1 MFX in Live Mode (while Studio Mode will have 2). This is due to the fact that most of the processor power will be aimed at the Patch Remain Function for perfect results.

About Pad Modes
Here is a short description of pads functions:

- Sample Pad = Triggers the Sample Set.
- Rhythm = Triggers the Rhythm Set.
- Chord Memory = Triggers chords that were set with Chord Memory.
- Arpeggio = Changes Arpeggio style.
- RPS = Triggers RPS phrases.
- Rhythm Pattern = Triggers the Rhythm Patterns
- Tone SEL/SW = Selects Tones and switches them On/Off.
- Track Mute = Mutes sequencer tracks.
- Bookmark = Assigns a screen to a pad (Hold Pad Setting and press the pad).
- MIDI TX SW = Switches the transmit MIDI channel On/Off.
- Effect SW = Switches the Effects On/Off (except for Patch FX).
- Patch MFX SW = Switch the Patch FX On/Off for each part.
- Part Select = Selects the parts. Roll changes the banks (INT/EXP1/EXP2/EXT).
- Part Mute = Mutes Parts. Roll changes banks (INT/EXP1/EXP2/EXT).
- User Group = Selects a registered Patch/LiveSet/StudioSet in the User Group.
- Favorite = Select a registered Patch/LiveSet/StudioSet. Roll changes banks.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Much appreciated, V-CeeOh, thanks for this info.
Can you comment on this statement from Roland?:
"Create complex setups with 16 insert effects per patch, plus global reverbs and choruses."
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Hugo
I'm just as curious as you ;-)
I now tend to believe that the correct phrase would be "16 insert effects, 1 per patch" but I still have some hope that we can route more than 1 PFX to the same patch. We have to wait and see.
asayida

Post by asayida »

Expansion for sampling memory: : DIMM: 1 slot, supports PC133, CL=2/3, 3.3 V, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB
->One thing really buggin me..PC133.. why Roland still using the sluggish and rotten PC133 for its flagship keyboard in the year of 2008 ? cmon, PC133 maybe more than 10 years old right now since it was introduced, besides it is very rare and quite expensive right now, especially in my country, Indonesia. Anybody can open my mind about the reason behind this? thanks
geppastro

About the Effects

Post by geppastro »

Hi V-CeeOh, thank you very much indeed; may I ask you where did you get the info?

Anyway, on the subject of PatchFXs in Live mode, of course having at least one MFX in addition to the PatchFXs would be better than having just one PatchFX (plus reverb and chorus).

What I really need though, is having the choice to select Preamp + Leslie for Hammond patches. On the Fantom X, the 21: Rotary MFX is too thin for my taste, whereas 22: VK Rotary MFX is great, but too warm instead! So I usually add 39: Guitar AMP simulator MFX to VK Rotary. This way I get a very decent leslied Hammond sound. So according to your findings it seems at least I'll get that option on the Fantom G.

Even better, would be a number of new PatchFXs combining Preamp and Leslie in a single slot.

And yes, I know that sampling a high-frequencies-rich distorted Hammond would be an option, but sampled distorted sounds are always much worse than adding distortion to the whole patch using MFXs.
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

I'll match any price online for the Fantom G's, so don't go special ordering yet. Plus you'll save some money vs. any online dealer. That's my incentive for any of you. I also do international. =)

-joel
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

breakbeatah, please keep all sales talks in the Marketplace ;-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

may I ask you where did you get the info?
[deleted by Roland Secret Agent]
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

now seriously ;-)
Roland is slowly releasing more infos. I just got this from my Roland rep.
So according to your findings it seems at least I'll get that option on the Fantom G.
Well, yes, at least all points to that. However there is still a LOT we don't know about the G, including if we get new effect algorithms
dg-keys

Patch description

Post by dg-keys »

Hi there!

Im new here and would like to ask my very first question here on roland clan:

I heared that the Fantom x has the patch description feature. Does anybody know whether the new Fantom-G has this feature too??? This is a very important point for me.

Thank's a lot!
Best regards to all of you here! Feel free to visit my site at www.danielgeist.de

Dan
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Just received from Roland representative in Portugal:
G6/7/8 and ARX01/02 will be available in April (1,5 months away) ;-)