NEW FANTOM-G - THREAD #2

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Gregory

Re: NEW FANTOM-G - THREAD #2

Post by Gregory »

Hi, this is my first ever post on any Roland forum. I've been reading this thread now since I caught wind that Roland had announced a new workstation. I currently use an ES7 and it's just so difficult (for me) to get around on, that I find I am not utilizing it as a workstation at all. I had been thinking that I might be better of with the Fantom X because it just seemed more intuitive and user friendly. And now with the G - it looks like this could be the workstation for me.

What I'm interested to know though - is more information about the feature piano sound. I perfer the RD series of piano's over the Yamaha's - and I'd be very excited if the piano capability of this new workstation - could hold it's own against a dedicated Stage piano. I love the 700sx - and wonder if anyone can comment if the G will be comparable, or even better? That would be a dream come true. I'd love to get rid of a board!
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

"I perfer the RD series of piano's over the Yamaha's - and I'd be very excited if the piano capability of this new workstation - could hold it's own against a dedicated Stage piano. I love the 700sx - and wonder if anyone can comment if the G will be comparable, or even better? That would be a dream come true."

Hi Gregory,

The 700SX contains the raw samples and several patches from the SRX-11 expansion board, which is considered by many (but not all) to be the best-sounding piano sound in any ROMpler engine.

As the Fantom-G is supposed to contain many raw samples and patches from all the SRX boards (including, I presume, SRX-11), we can probably safely assume it'll sport some great-sounding pianos. We simply can't confirm anything at this point.

But it's important to note that since the ARX boards don't appear to be huge ROM depositories, one would most likely have to be happy with the stock piano sounds, as I don't suspect an acoustic piano board will pop up, at least not right away.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I guess I'm just assuming that it would be a generation advanced over what was in the Fantom X, but I figured that Roland would be highlighting it a bit more. I see alot of mention going to the keyaction - and features, but no to much ink on the piano sound, and playability - etc..

I guess it could be that they don't want to steal any perceived thunder way from the New Rd's. I don't own a Fatom X - but I was under the impression that it's stock piano sound was the same as an RD 300sx. I do own the RD 300sx, and I like it's playability alot - but I don't find it to be ultra realistic - and have much preferred the 700sx. I wonder if playing the 300sx is a diffent experience from playing the same sounds on the Fantom X? I'm just hoping that a piano patch - as playable and resolute as the 700sx - shows up on the Fantom G. That would seal the deal for me.
Synthfreak

Fantom G ARX expansion board demo up on Rolands site...

Post by Synthfreak »

I don't know if anyone already posted this here.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=72
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Thanks for the hint.

Sounds promising, but still not enough sound quality (background noise) and long enough examples.

I'm really looking forward to hear some mp3 demo stuff which allows getting a *real* impression.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Gregory
Welcome to the Clan

Yes, like Audacity said, the RD-700SX uses some piano samples that the Fantom X also uses - does the "X-Ultimate" patch on the RD tells you something? ;-) - but they do sound diferent in both keyboards. As a X8 owner I must say that somewhat I prefer the X pianos but maybe that is just me. Maybe it has to do with the converters or something. However they both sound great. I'm expecting that the G will keep the same "quality" but I'm not expecting to be surprised and we already don't know what the new waves will be so... With the piano sound beeing one, if not the most, important sound to me, I'm only expecting maybe some more "definition" since the G uses a diferent processor. The key action is fabulous to my taste. I must clarify that the "keyaction" is the same on both RD-700SX/GX/X8/G8. The diference is the finishing of the actual keyboard (on the G8 and RD-700GX) wich simulates the ivory of an acoustic piano keyboard, thus the "Ivory Feel" name. And no, IT'S NOT MADE OF IVORY like some stupid guys comment elsewhere. I've already tested this PHAII Ivory Feel keyboard since it is already present in some Roland pianos like the RG-3/7 and HP-207 and I have to say that is one of the reasons why I'm trading my X for the G.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

V-CeeOh,

have you (or anybody else her) also been able to check the keyboard action of the G7?

I guess they continue to use the same keys as in The FX7, but I would like to know if they keep that level of clear definition in play (or make it even better towards really half weighted).

I hate the spongy non-weighted keyboard action from Korg and Yamaha and hope Roland will not join that club...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Jimknopf
no, I haven't done so yet but I believe the keyboards will be the same as the X.
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

Personally, I had a problem with both the Fantom S and X keyboards in that the keyboard case seemed to amplify the sound of the keys being played. This is especially noticeable when playing more contemplative types of music. When sharing space with my partner's jewelry studio, she could hear the sound of the keys from across the room. Otherwise I thought the action, size and feel of the keys was more than satisfying. I just wish they would engineer the inside of the instrument so it didn't act like an amplifier.

By the way, I think the Fantom G will be a definite winner, a must-have piece of gear...but I may just hold off and wait for the rack version.

Misha
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Just a comment on keyboards; I used to have the Motif ES, and I must say the keyboard in my V-Synth is *way* better than the one in the Yamaha.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Does the G feature the Piano Mode that was on the X, where you could change the lid, res, etc.?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

If you'te talking about the dedicated MODE and button, I don't think so unless this is somehow selectable in the OS. However you'll be able to achieve the same functions and sounds with the PFX just like we do with the MFX in Fantom X.
Synthfreak

someone in another forum had a bright idea

Post by Synthfreak »

Fantom G + ARX + Cakewalk = ??????
Just had a great idea.
If the ARX boards are DSP driven and add too the polyphony of the "G" as advertised and seeing as Roland has bought a huge chunk of Cakewalk do you think we may just see a PSYNII and Rapture ARX boards for the Fantom G in the not to distant future .
smurf

Might be a while before the demos are up..

Post by smurf »

Yamaha had a similar situation with the Motif XS where some of the XS OS had not been finalized when it was officially introduced at Winter NAMM 2007. People on the motifator site were getting anxious for some audio and/or video demos and Yamaha seemed to bide their time and they certainly weren't quick about getting various 'solo' instrument demos online. All that to say this: The Fantom G's OS had not been completely finished at NAMM08 and depending on how speedy Roland finalizes it we possibly could be waiting quite a while to hear this beast in a more audio friendly comprehensive environment. Roland, needless to say, wants to put the Fantom G in the best possible light and the OS has to be finalized before acheiving that goal I would think. But IMO if Roland dilly dallies too long interest in the G could certainly wane in the meantime, especially if we're looking at weeks to over a month before we hear some substantial sound bytes from the G. Yamaha had to scramble to keep the initial interest in the XS from diminishing to the point where the luster started to wear off and consequently I hope Roland doesn't suffer from the same potential scenario.

Same with the ARX cards which are vital add-ons to the G's new SuperNATURAL sound articulation concept. FWIW, I was the first one to link the ARX video demo at another keyboard forum and I don't want anyone to think I am trying to degrade or downgrade the G in any way because I am very positive about what the Fantom G's potential can and hopefully will be. But to keep the "hype" in overdrive (and I'm using "hype" in a good way BTW) then Roland needs to be diligent in getting the G's OS into the RTM stage and give us something audio-wise from the G that people can sink their teeth into. Not that these little tidbits and tiny morsels we've heard so far are bad but they are leaving something to be desired that's for sure. At least from my own personal standpoint they are anyway. ;)

And another thing. If everybody only spoke in positive glowing terms regarding the Fantom G (or anything else for that matter) we certainly wouldn't learn much, nevermind the whole truth. ;)
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

@ smurf

Good conclusions, might well be what's really behind all these very vague ballyhoo from NAMM 08.

If I think about how little was actually presented / unveiled yet in terms of new sounds (esp. taking into consideration that "the best SRX sounds" as well as several new sounds will be part of G and that infinite sound / mixing / effects possiblilities with now "stunning 22 FX"), it is quite disappointing, how little we know (or better heard) at this point.

Another indication for "how far away Roland seems to be from having finished the product" is how little was shown from the OS. Jim Stout stated it was improved, but since only Roland staff was allowed to put their hands on the Gs (Greetings to Dan / Still Learning ;-) ) the "masses" could nor yet judge this. So, it's obvious for me that there is a long way to go 'til we will see a stable / sale-ready product AND that we should wait before we finally judge the product itself!

So what have we already seen?
Several videos showing Warren Harris (Hanna) demoeing the G. Well, these are just a replay of what he is doing since the Audio Track Expansion Vs. 2.0 of X (was that in 2006?). Warren is cool, but the videos are just a repetition, over and over again...

Don't get me wrong: I think the G is a major improvement to the X even though it's merely an evolution (which can be a VERY positive point then again!). Reading the specs alone just gives me the feeling that this is the next Roland synth for me to buy !

Other forum members have said it before, I shall say this again: I am desperate to see some real solo-sound pro-keyboardist performance by folks like Scott Tibbs etc.!