Question about G's Sequencer

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
PauloF

Question about G's Sequencer

Post by PauloF »

Hi guys,
I've been reading the entries in all the G threads, and I couldn't find any reference to this, so, even if this seems to be a very dumb question, does anyone knows:

If the Fantom G's MIDI sequencer is capable of recording in STUDIO mode and assigning each patch, composing that particular STUDIO mode, to it's own MIDI track ?

Thanks
PauloF
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Question about G's Sequencer

Post by Artemiy »

It is not that clear to me what you mean exactly, but yes in STUDIO mode you have 16 patches, with 16 MFX processors, and you can sequence them as you wish.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hi Artemio,
Thanks for replying.
I know that we could do that, but what I mean is:
Opposed to what is done on the X, that we have to record track by track, is G's sequencer capable of recording a so called "performance" and place each part in a different MIDI track, all at once ?

Ah, by the way, the Planet F, X and V Paches are perfect!! ;-))
(just bought the Fantom Megapack). Now is just a matter to organize the sounds in such a way so I can choose from all of them (or at least, my favourite ones).

Cheers,
PauloF

P.S: The work you're doing is fantastic !!!
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I think contrary to the previous Fantom, a new "live" mode has been added. This is akin to "performance" mode on the Motifs. For sequencing, use "Studio" mode, which is like the old "performance" mode on the Fantoms. As soon as you pull up a performance, you're ready to sequence on all MIDI channels. I'm sure there will be plenty of templates ready to go in various styles.
dani.squire

Post by dani.squire »

PauloF Said:
"Ah, by the way, the Planet F, X and V Paches are perfect!! ;-))
(just bought the Fantom Megapack). Now is just a matter to organize the sounds in such a way so I can choose from all of them (or at least, my favourite ones).
"

Totally Agreed! I bought the megapack too this weekend and already created a Librarian file with my 240 favorite patches from the 3 libraries... =) Now I use the user bank with these patches and the card bank with the ones I created.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Thanks 2TIM316,
I agree, but as far as I know (at least my fantom Xa doesn't do it) we can't sequence a performance into different MIDI tracks, without recording each one at a time...

Cheers,
PauloF
Oleq

Post by Oleq »

You can try to record a track in a Performance, several Parts of which have their Kb Switch On - and see, how many tracks will be recorded at a time.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Paulo:

First, thank you very much, I am very glad you like the Planets!

As abut your question, I now understand. But it was already possible on the Fantom-X, didn't you know? You record into one track, even all 16 parts split or layered, then simply use the "Extract" command from the track edit menu - and each part will be on it's own track.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

OOOpsssss....
...So much time using it and didn't see it !!!

No, in fact I didn't, I should have missed that part in the Manual (LoL) That will ease my compositions a lot !!!

In fact I've been a little bit relutant to use the Fantom's sequencer, and for all my recordings (with a few exceptions) I use my Boss 864, which "seemed" to be much more flexible when it cames to do track recordings over and over again.

Thanks Man ! I'll jump to the board and try it

Cheers,
PauloF
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Art,
Thanks Man. This feature is awsome !!!

That closes the thread for me...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hehe, no problem, glad you rediscovered the Fantom ;-)
lelo

Fantom G sequencer

Post by lelo »

Hi Artemio,

Wanted to know if the Fantom G can do a couple of thing's.

1. Can the internal sounds from the G be recorded in to the audio tracks instead of using the midi tracks?
2. Do you know if the "G" has any vocal effect templates to
use when recording into the audio tracks,it wouls be a shame if it didn't,cause i would like to use it that way and it's kinda being promoted as an all in one workstation when you read the quotes from some on the Roland Us site
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

lelo, I cannot answer these questions, because I haven't tried the G this deeply. I will only be able to test it again when it starts shipping.
RevP

Post by RevP »

I will add one more question concerning the G's sequencer: does it save song files to svq as the previous Fantoms and XP series?

I didn't see anything confirming this in the details/specs. It would be great if the sequencer could load old svqs. This saved me a ton of time when I upgraded to Fantom X from XP.