G for ...

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
lazeeboy

G for ...

Post by lazeeboy »

I've been away for a while but lately I've been lurking around because the new Fantom G has me very excited.

Despite some shortcomings I think it will become my dream machine. Now I have to wait for a few months. Hopefully the manual will be available before they start selling it because I always seem to discard it if I have the real thing in front of me, so it would give me a chance to get to know it before I actually have it (reminds me of dreaming about the JD800 before going to sleep with a mere flyer from the local music store).

My grandfather used to say: "the pleasure ends with posession". Because I always felt that implied a certain disappointment and thus money not well spent and I always strive for money well spent, I altered the saying into what I think it should be: "the pleasure begins well before posession". Which so happens to be exactly what I'm feeling now: a certain fluttery feeling in my stomach and thinking about what wonders I'll hear out of the G.

So I think G stands for Genot which is dutch for pleasure.

note: although certain parallels could be made to women about this feeling I'm having, I'm trictly referring to a term better known as: Gearlust which could also be what the G stands for :-)

Happy speculating!
Lazeeboy
SRUT, BUT...

Re: G for ...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

okey-dokey, here is my guess:

Gaenzlich Geiles Genuss-Geraet mit Glaenzendem Gehaeuse = G6

G for Gaenzlich (German for totally)
G for Geiles (German for horny, great)
G for Genuss (German for pleasure)
G for Geraet (German for device)
G for Glaenzendem (German for polished, shiny)
G for Gehaeuse (German for body)

So this is why the G6 was named G6. ;-)
Andy Keys

The Tao of Pooh

Post by Andy Keys »

lazeeboy, have you read "The Tao of Pooh"?

You reminded me of the chapter where Pooh considers how much he's enjoying the prospect of the honey jars when he gets home from a nice walk in the forest with his friends...

:o)

Andy
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

No I haven't, but I can imagine Winnie fondling the idea with warm fuzzy thoughts.

:-b

It's such a natural feeling although I don't feel it as often as I used to because now I have the income to fulfill my dreams sooner than when I was young. Roland now imposes the wait and thus is responsible for this feeling.

So, thanks Roland ... sort of :-)

Regards,
Lazeeboy
RobJuno

G = Forwards? ...Or Backwards???

Post by RobJuno »

Not to make you all cry or anything (and before you wanna kill me I'm a 29yo mature student without a penny to my name and praying one day things in my life might be different so that I could buy one of these things without batting an eye-lid!) ...but... doesn't anyone find it totally backwards that of all letters Roland could have chosen, they opted for 'G'?

Is the Juno G not a little similar if not a down-spec'd Fantom? If the Fantom G goes one better than the Fantom X, I can't for the life of me follow why they opted for a suffix already given to more junior keyboard model!

p.s. That student thing I mentioned, more accurately, meant I'm on the verge of completing a marketing degree. Not that I can claim to have learnt anything, but my mind is now more susceptible to the detail in things. The second I heard of a new Fantom and saw they called it G... my mind went... 'What the .....???'
Kerim

Post by Kerim »

okey-dokey, here is my guess:

Gaenzlich Geiles Genuss-Geraet mit Glaenzendem Gehaeuse = G6

G for Gaenzlich (German for totally)
G for Geiles (German for horny, great)
G for Genuss (German for pleasure)
G for Geraet (German for device)
G for Glaenzendem (German for polished, shiny)
G for Gehaeuse (German for body)

So this is why the G6 was named G6. ;-)

Grosses Gaenzlich Geiles Genuss-Geraet mit Glaenzendem Gehaeuse = G7

Ganz Grosses Gaenzlich Geiles Genuss-Geraet mit Glaenzendem Gehaeuse = G8

:-)
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

RobJuno (and anyone else who is interested):

I think that Roland should have called it the Fantom-Y -- as in, "Y am I buying another workstation?" "Y didn't they put in (insert whatever they didn't put in that you wish that they had)," or, "Y didn't I buy a laptop and a bunch of VSTi synths instead?"

Or, maybe they could get Rupert Neve to design the output section. Then, they could call it the "Fantom Y-NOT" (An acronym that stands for "Yes -- Neve Outboard Technology."

:)

- Sammy

P.S. On reflection, they seriously probably avoided using "Y" for anything, mostly because it could inevitably have led to the kind of ribbing that I just introduced here. It would be funny, and I would love it -- but it ain't gonna happen, so I'll have to dream the dream...