Any real reason to go up to the G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Arctica

Any real reason to go up to the G?

Post by Arctica »

I'm planning on picking up either the Fantom X or G in the next two months, and I'm trying to see if it's worthwhile to buy the G, even over the inevitable upcoming low price of the X. Any thoughts on this? I think I'd greatly miss not being able to use the SRX cards, and I can't see myself caring about sound editing enough to buy any of the ARX cards. I'd much prefer a large sound collection. Otherwise, the screen looks nice, but I'm not desperate for a huge one, and the faders might be handy - but you can only change so many parameters at once anyways :) Any ideas? I'm by no means a professional player, but I'm looking for something that'll keep me set for a long time...

There just doesn't seem like a huge set of new features on the G, that's all. But it's probably more future-proof...hmm... :S
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Any real reason to go up to the G?

Post by Artemiy »

The reasons I would upgrade are:

- 16 MFX processors instead of 3
- Really great large screen
- Lots of SRX waveforms already inside
- Multi-function pads
- More complex step LFO modulator in the synth
Arctica

Post by Arctica »

That's a pretty reasonable list, I guess. What do you mean by the multi-function pads, though? Couldn't they do a whole assortment of things on the X?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

On the G they also serve as multi-mode buttons, for things like switching parts, tracks, patch tones, working with the arp and rhythm machine settings, etc. Only part of this was possible on the X.
dani.squire

Post by dani.squire »

Also remember about the mouse option. way better than using directional buttons and even better than korg's touch screen IMHO.

Also, you'll love to use all 8 faders at once as soon as we have a VK-like ARX! =)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

here goes another ... ;-)

The G streams audio through USB so it works as a 2 input audio interface with your PC. Also, the input has a dedicated effects processor.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Oh yes, add these:

- Mouse support
- USB 2.0 drive support, faster load times
- ARX boards add their own polyphony
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

There's no "real" reason to go up the G. If you like it, buy it. You can do as well with the FAntom X, if you like that.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Why not get the G and a Sonic Cell- you will get the Fantom-X sounds plus 2 SRX slots to wet your appetite.
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

It's a tough call ...

The Fan-X is VERY nice and I'm not sure the G is going to be a major step up in sound quality ...

the only major advantage it will have immediately (beyond the two ARX cards, which frankly I'm not very excited about) is the effects section ... and all that means is that you'll be able to apply more effects at once ... which is really more useful for live performance ... in the studio you can overdub and come up with other solutions ...

If you can find a great deal on an X6, you may just do that route for a while ... the problem is SRX cards ...I'd only buy them second hand now for $150 tops ... because YOU WILL need them for the Fantom X (maybe not immediately, but you will ... ) ...

Part of me would say just wait for the G ... But I'm really wondering about its soundset ... how in the world will Roland fit "the best" of 12 SRX cards in 128 megs?

Sorry this probably isn't much help ... All I can say is I'm in no huge rush to get the G (well, at least until I get to play one in a music store ... )

If you get a Fan-X consider looking for an original V-Synth ... It's really an incredible machine and I found mine online for $600. They make an incredible pair.
Mauro Rosati

Post by Mauro Rosati »

Yes, I must to be honest, I'm a little worried too about the REAL sound quality. In this link there's a post I've wrote just few minutes ago in the Roland Fantom G sounds thread, read and comment:
http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=s ... d=1&page=8
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

After considering all the options available to me, and countless contradictions with myself, I've considered keeping my X6 for at least another year...reason being is because 1) although I've had the Fantomx for coming up on 4 years now, I fell it's still new since these 4 years have flown by to me...2) I've only taken advantage of one SRX (05 dance)all this time until recently purchased 04 strings ($120 ebay)and love it, and today my 09 World will get here today by UPS..the strings made me feel like I had a new board so I can't wait to try the world....next month I'll get the 06 Orchestra and I'll be for at least another year,,,or more....3) I never was really impressed with the upgrades on this new G over the X...The only things that I was considering getting one upon release for was the effects and the for the sftware upgrades which I knew they could of done most of these things on the X with a software upgrade...like taking the machine to Version 3 and then going to seek new things...I had realised and mentioned these upgrades after having known they would release V2. and now they include them in an all new machine...I don't beleive a new machine was necessary at this point for the type of upgrades available...the upgrade list is kinda short when comparing the two don't you think? of course it'll do great in sales roland knows this because they know they at the very least have a Fantom X inside the G. And if you don't have anything at this point the G is the ultimate choice, but if you already have an X I think you're okay for at least a year or two or even longer with SRX's...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

This will almost certain to be present in the G...X could also...It's already in there, it's just locked away in code..
including my second suggestion on the second page....

http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... ge=1#39752
Arctica

Post by Arctica »

Since I don't have either, it's probably best for me to get the G, but it'll cost a lot more, since I need the whole bit: cables, studio speakers, etc...I'm starting almost from scratch here. I guess if the X is basically in the G, there's not a lot of point buying the X right now, though if I had one I'd probably feel otherwise... :S I'll just have to wait and see the reviews, I suppose!!
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Since you are "looking for something that'll keep me set for a long time...", go for the Fantom G. Over time, the money you saved by getting an X will start to seem insignificant. And if the ARX slots live up to their potential, you'll be sorry you sold out for a few extra fixed patches on the SRX cards.

Just my opinion, of course.
Good luck.
-Rodan