Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
The Audacity Works

Re: Any real reason to go up to the G?

Post by The Audacity Works »

Sammy,

No offense taken ever.

You tha' man,

AW

Oh! I got more info on the G from my Roland guy today. A bit tired right now and I have to check my notes, but it's pretty interesting...
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

Oh! I got more info on the G from my Roland guy today. A bit tired right now and I have to check my notes, but it's pretty interesting...
Didi I tell you how much I hate cliff hangers? ;-)
The Audacity Works

MORE FANTOM-G FAQs:

Again, unless in quotes, all comments are mine.

What's with all the empty space on the screens?
The screens we've seen (either from the demos or at NAMM) have been largely retooled. I noticed a ton of empty space on the screens and I hear most of this has been filled up. Was told that the SINGLE and LIVE SET screens now display what the four knobs and 8 sliders control. I'd love to see some updated screenshots. C'mon, guys!

What are the chances we'll be able to see more than 512MB of RAM?
Not verbatim: "We're not ruling anything out, and if it's possible, we'll find a way, but as of today, 512MB is the official max memory. But remember, that's 512MB per project. The file management itself makes the memory largely a non-issue for the majority of users."

Quoting Dumb and Dumber: "So... you're telling me there's a chance!"

Are the ARX cards modeling or sample playback or what?
Still not sure about it, but the impression I've been given is that the ARX 01 board uses similar technology as the V-Drums brain, as both allow realtime manipulation of shell-depth, head size, etc. I'm thinking it may actually be some sort of complex wavetabling, but this is still up in the air.

Might a future ARX board include analog modeling, FM synthesis, or LA synthesis?
Right now, probably not. But the Japanese engineers are "very clever, so one shouldn't rule anything out."

Will there be a V-Synth ARX board?
No.

Are the ARX boards multitimbral?
ARX 01 and 02 aren't, at least now. As the ARX DSP chip is "quite powerful", future cards may have multitimbral capability.

What's the polyphony of the ARX boards?
Was told that polyphony "almost" doesn't apply, at least in the traditional sense. It's dependent on a lot of factors, from what type of drum is used to whether or not settings are adjusted in real time. At the NAMM show, I noticed a DSP graph while playing, and it didn't seem related to how many notes I played at all. In fact, while holding down an EP chord, the DSP usage graph would fluctuate, almost like it's cycling through various sustain samples. And what's even weirder, when playing a ton of notes at once, the graph didn't jump wildly or even seem to increase.

So basically, I have no new information on this one, only more personal speculation. Were I to guess, I'd say each ARX board can play enough notes to satisfy any performance. Remember, ARX 01 and 02 boards are mono-timbral, so polyphony most likely won't be an issue.

Do the ARX boards utilize the DSP of the Fantom-G at all?
Other than any user-added MFX, no. It was stressed that ARX is radically different from SRX technology. All the DSP is on the board itself.

How much faster is loading/saving/importing on the G compared to the X?
Verbatim: "Much faster." Like twice as fast? Not verbatim: "I haven't timed it personally, but yeah, definitely faster than twice as fast."

Is the sequencer closer to the MV-8x00's?
No. The sequencer is like the Fantom X's on crack. You don't select a track and choose a destination for the track; you choose the part, then choose the track, and hit record. Data is still channelized within the track, so yes, you can record an entire Live Set to one track and that track will play back all 8 internal parts (and any external parts). In fact, there are 34 collective channels available per track, as the ARX and external channels are separate, even in the piano roll and event list. So for those of you who've called the Fantom X a 16-channel x 16-track sequencer, the Fantom-G has a 34-channel x 128 track sequencer. Damn.

The MV's sequencer is closer to Logic or Cubase, where any MIDI signal received (regardless of channel) is automatically routed to the currently selected track's destination part (and therefore, the equivalent to Remote Keyboard Switch turned on by default). The Fantom-G still receives multichannel data and plays the appropriate parts accordingly, regardless of current track selected. Was told that the Fantom-G is first and foremost a "performance board", and that the sequencer is designed with that in mind.

Will there be a way to record more than one track at once?
No. The Fantom-G records one mono or stereo track simultaneously.

I understand that all samples and audio tracks have to load into RAM, but can the Fantom-G bounce directly to internal storage or the USB key?
No, but if the end result is to get your song into the computer, note that, unlike the Fantom X, you can record your song directly to GarageBand or Audacity (heh) via USB. There's no longer any reason to bounce internally unless the computer's in another room.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Thanks very much for the useful additional info.

I wished the SRX-12 Rhodes samples question could be clarified at this stage, just like the question for the true character of ARX-02.

I agree to your suspicion that ARX is still sample based, but probably works with snippets of waves/wavetables, thus being able to process each part of them separately and thus create something like 'artificial artifical modeling'. ;-)
I remember someone once told me that either Emagics EVP88/73 or Lounge Lizard was no physical modeling either (like NIs B4 truly is), but also such a hybrid between sampling and 'kind of modeling' processing.

Be it as it is, I'm that much dependant on a first class Rhodes on SRX-12 level or better (Scarbee level would even be more welcome) with my band and my projects (and still not willing to carry the real thing around again), that I can't imagine to return to those little 'fake-Rhodes' sounds from the Fantom-X or other workstations ever.

If you ever before the Frankfurt music show have a chance to clarify that, the info would help me.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I just remembered that the newer Motif has 355MB of Wave Rom. Dang, I feel cheated with 256....
manishkurup

Post by manishkurup »

"Do the ARX boards utilize the DSP of the Fantom-G at all?
Other than any user-added MFX, no. It was stressed that ARX is radically different from SRX technology. All the DSP is on the board itself."

To me, this statement means that these are smart boards, which means, yes, they can probably be synths by themselves, not necessarily wavetable driven. Pretty cool ...

Are the ARX's bigger than the SRX boards? Dont remember seeing any mention of dimensions in any thread.

Hey Audacity, thanks for taking the time to furnish the gory details ... It is very much appreciated!!

;) Manish
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Jimknopf,
I have a feeling that a least some of the SRX-12 patches will be in the Fantom G soundset. Some of these sounds were included in the Sonic Cell, so it would follow that the Rhodes and Clav sounds would be part of the G's onboard sounds.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

That could be good news for sure.

I didn't know some SRX-12 sounds were in Sonic cell.
Do you know which ones?
smurf

Regarding the EP's on the Sonic Cell:

Post by smurf »

Originally posted by: Jimknopf

"I didn't know some SRX-12 sounds were in Sonic cell.
Do you know which ones?"

Pure EP
Pure Wurly EP
Phase Clavi

You have to keep in mind that the SRX 12 samples might be longer samples than the ones on the Sonic Cell since the SRX 12 is comprised of only 105 patches with a total of 64MB of wav rom whilst the Sonic Cell has over 1,100 patches with a total of 128MB of wav rom divided between them. In other words, Roland might have used a different recording session when they recorded the SRX 12 samples than the ones found on the Sonic Cell. They could be the same 'samples' but may have been recorded in two separate recording sessions. Roland U.S. would have the definitive word regarding these questions but since Roland personnel for the most part seem resigned to the notion of participating on these public forums we therefore may never know the answer to this or other pertinent information regarding their products. Maybe they think that if they keep us in the dark about things and don't chime in with our discussions about their products that they then somehow feel relieved of the burden and responsiblity of the very products they are trying to market and sell to us, the consumer. And evidently unsuspecting ones at that. ;)

At least Yamaha (who having established their own 'official' company web site discussion forum regarding their Synthesizers i.e. Motifator.com), feel the need to participate and interact with the people who post there. Roland, on the other hand, is as quiet as the proverbial church mouse on this, and/or, on any other keyboard related public forum it seems. I realize "silence is golden" on rare occasions but it must be noted that the only way a person can become enlightened and truly informed is when they are actually "spoken" to. I guess that leads to the conclusion that Roland would rather not have us enlightened or informed eh? ;) Hey! Isn't it only repressive dictatorial regimes that keep their subjects in the dark? :( I thought Japan was now a democracy and have since forsaken isolationism? :)

I know, I know... pay the dime and make the call, right?

Okay, sure... but what about the people i.e. "musicians" who may have stumbled upon this site with no prior experience of owning Roland products? Is it fair to subjugate them to the same hassle and cost? It is not only unfair in my opinion but it is also takes a toll on Roland's bottom line if you ask me. Many probably high tail it out of here once they realize their needs and answers aren't being met and then turn to other manufacturers who will meet their needs and answer their questions.

Nuf said... ;)

I'm glad I got that off my chest. Image I feel better already! Image Okay... flame away roland patriarchs. ;)

BTW, I am thankful that we do have Artemio and the other moderators that have been very helpful on these forums. But it sure would be nice if we could actually hear from some of Roland's staff personnel once in a while too. Jim Stout is a rare breed and I wish he would show himself more frequently around here. Am I asking too much?? Image Maybe I am...
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

But it sure would be nice if we could actually hear from some of Roland's staff personnel once in a while too. Jim Stout is a rare breed and I wish he would show himself more frequently around here. Am I asking too much?? Maybe I am...
Jim Stout seems to be very open to contact like in this forum, I really appreaciate that and wish this forum would get even some more visible respect from Roland officially that it deserves.

I am repeating myself a bit, but maybe Jim is caucious about what to say about the G for the moment since he promised more "NAMM booth videos" on the opening day and we all know how much Roland has put out there up to this point... [zero, nill, void, empty]
The Audacity Works

I don't blame any MI manufacturer for avoiding online forums like the plague. No matter what they say, they'll either feed the trolls or give away too much internal information that they get fired.

No one else remembers the OASYS clusterf#$& over at Harmony Central?

Forum: Why won't Korg communicate with us? This is stupid!
Korg Rep: Here I am. What would you like to know?
Forum: The OASYS is retarded! Why would anyone pay $8000 for it?
Korg Rep: Uh... Well, there's a lot of extremely expensive R&D in there, and...
Forum: Korg sux!!!1LOL!
Korg Rep: I'm sorry, but if you let me explain...
Forum: You're just a corporate shill; you'll tell us whatever we want to hear, but the truth is the OASYS is an overpriced piece of s#‡!
Korg Rep: It absolutely is not. The reason we're charging...
Forum: LOLOLOLOL! You suck!
Korg Rep: Fine, I'm leaving.

Of course, this forum is considerably more polite, but I've still seen stuff like this:

Fantomized User 1: Roland doesn't listen to their customers. I requested this obscure feature on a singular thread like two years ago and it never showed up! What do I have to do to get through to these guys?!
Fantomized User 2: There are tons of bugs! Why won't they fix the bugs? Are they not listening? I mean, what about the bug where the thing doesn't do the loop thing and that one button should import the thing with more... And yes, I called Roland, talked to some guy—I don't remember who—and I said "Fix the bugs".
Fantomized User 3: The G is a joke! It's exactly the same as the X with a bigger screen! Anyone who'd update is a fool! The S to the X was a bigger leap because polyphony is the only thing that matters to anyone and I'm gonna do whatever I can to completely undermine the G's gigantic list of major improvements!
Fantomized User 4: Roland are a bunch of idiots who don't care about their customers. All they care about is money.

Of course I'm overdramatizing it, but can you blame manufacturers for maintaining a low profile?

It makes way more sense to lend Artemio a G and allow him to act as a filter... which Roland appears to have done, even if the prototype had to be sent back to Japan.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Audacity, that example from the Oasys thread is surely disgusting. And, by the way, extremley stupid from the side of the users online, because they completely missed the chance to put serious questions.

But, as smurf said from the example of another manufacturer, I can affirm from my Access experience as well: they *do* communicate directly, even in open forums. And what I saw there, was that trolls were pushed back by other users, so that the manufacturer reps didn't have to spend too much time on that themselves.

I understand what you mean, but still think Roland is one of the companies least skilled in open discussions, especially Roland Japan. But I don't want to go back to an old topic ;-)

@smurf
thanks for the sonic cell info. In the end, we still have to wait and see/hear.

And thanks to your comments, pronouncing what I know many think in a similar way, without wanting to enter a tedious discussion after saying it on a board like here ...
foleycore

Post by foleycore »

guys! snap out of it, your all pouring over this G likes it's the end of the world.
The new Akai MPC5000 offers GRID recording, PIANO ROLL recording, STEP recording, LINEAR recording and PATTERN recording.
The sequencer is 960 ppqn(twice as tight as the fantom motif and M3) and the user interface is streamlined to the hilt.
It has a built in virtual analog with 20 voices that can be used on as many parts as you like until the voices run out, it has a 80gig hardisk designed for 8 tracks of hardisk recording(more than enough) a built in DVD for data backup and a CD burner, compact flash typeII, ten analog outputs( yes thats right, ten!) ADAT lightpipe output,digital in/out,eight sliders and four knobs, and get this! 680mb's of PREMIUM quality UNCOMPRESSED sounds as standard.oh and the virtual analog has 300 top notch presets already programmed and i have heard it at NAMM and it absolutely rocks!it sounds better than the nord lead and access virus. As if all thats not good enough it provides a lethal sounding multiband master compressor that blows the fantoms away and a 4 band master eq that sounds friggin awesome.
Truly if these workstation companies can't get their heads out of their backside and do the right thing, instead of all this pennypinching and incompetence and holding out on us, then leave them hanging on the wall where they belong and reward the company that does the right thing, which in this case is Akai. Akaipro.com!

Man! the effects in the fantom are absolute crap, i own a fantom X. whats all this slicer, bitcrusher, vinyl emulator, bad sounding distortion, isolator and the rest of that useless bad sounding irrelevant junk.not to mention that the reverb is no where near up to pro standards.
the effects in the MPC5000 are the best i have ever heard bar none and there is no reason to even go near this fantom G. Move on guys and don't reward pennypinching and incompetence and spiteful brainlessness.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Why are you here, Foleycore? It appears that you carry some kind of personal vendetta against Roland. Did these 'revelations' of yours concerning Akai come before or after you purchased a Fantom X! Hey! I've got an idea . . . I'm sure that we would be delighted to hear some of your original music, produced entirely on your Fantom X. Who knows? Maybe you just don't know how to use it. I know there are many stellar musicians here that would be happy to be of assistance to you. =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

http://www.piaknow.com

lordelix

Post by lordelix »

Foleycore, you need to lay off the caffeine.
As anyone will tell you here I'm not super impressed with the G as yet......( jury is still out. ). That however is no reason to start spamming our boards with your anti workstation/Roland/ ( insert manufacturer name here {except Akai} ) banter. If you are so enamoured of Akai, then please do us all a favor and go have fun with your new toy. We get it okay. Now go make music so we can continue our discussions without all the Akai commercials.

" This message is brought to you by the "DOES BEERS???!!!" clan."