Any real reason to go up to the G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
BigBrotherMotown

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!!

Post by BigBrotherMotown »

The Award for "Most ASSENINE Statement Ever made on a message board" goes to....

Sitars? oboes? flutes? pianos? Guitars? who on earth gives a frogs arse about any of that crap! you must be making music as a non professional hobbyist, cause the last time i heard any of those rom wasting sounds in a top 40 hit would have been...well never really.

Mr. Foleycore!!!!!!
(Crowd goes wild)
Klangwelt

Re: Any real reason to go up to the G?

Post by Klangwelt »

OH NO!!!!

I used some of the flutes and the pianos of my Fantom X on my last CD ... oh, if only THE GREAT FOLEYCORE (TM) could have warned me a little earlier, because .... IT DIDN'T TURN INTO A TOP 40 HIT!!!

What a pain! What a disappointment! I hereby promise that from now on I will listen to the words of THE GREAT FOLEYCORE (TM)! He's the one who knows, he's the one who gives my life new sense.. I am not worthy ...
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

foleycore

first of all: keep your mini-flaming with yourself. We are not a bit interested in pseudo-arguments like
- "typical roland sh_t and unuseable"
- "you must be music making as a non professional hobbyist"
- "you loopy boy"
- "a dorky one off sound in stage use"
- "your trying to defend an undefendable product"
and so on...

Discussion level here is most times respectful and substantial. If that is a problem for you, look for another place to "impress" people with your views and evaluations.

By now we understood that:

- you think that an advanced drum box with some limited VA on board is a "Music Production Centre", just because Akai named it that way, and you can make a little song with it, though only if you have enough patience to struggle with the limitations of its user-interface. Well, manufacturers sometimes claim funny things in their own language. Just send me your first Top 40 hit "produced" with that "Production Centre" ;-)

- you still don't get the fundamental difference between a keyboard workstation and a drum/sample box with some VA

- you have never ever heard a piano or a guitar in top 40 hits (top 40 in Sudan? Problems to distinguish instruments in songs?)

- you find the Alesis Fusion "the best VA you ever heard". It's ok with me if you especially like a device which very few want to buy even for the 900€ you can get it for now (instead of the original 2000-2500€). From my view it's much better than its image, but in the view of *all* keyboarders I know including my own, it's nowhere near a Virus TI or a Nord Wave. Else they would buy it, and all the more at that price, even if it were only for using its VA. And if that's true for the big Fusion with all its other options, what do you think is true for the little VA in the MPC?

- you find it great that you "can PLAY a sound or any GROUP of sounds from a single pad". Well, at least that minimizes the risk of knoting fingers while trying to play black and white keys ;-)

- you talk of the "now defunct Waldorf team". Well, Waldorf ist just releasing the Blofeld as first of a complete new product range, which offers everything the MPC synth has to offer (and perhaps more) at 400€.

And you tell Audacity that he is "getting it all wrong"??? Even if I don't agree with all of Audacity's evaluations in all threads, I have the impression that he sure is one of those really looking for facts...

Maybe for you a device like the MPC5000 is "all you ever need to kick some arse". This forum does *not* have any function to serve you for that kind of purpose. ;-)

So drink a cup of tea, come down and relax.
We wish you as much fun as you need with the MPC.
Tiger Fleetwood

Post by Tiger Fleetwood »

No!
X6 and V-synth (GT) would be the best decision.
manishkurup

Some reasons I love this forum ...

Post by manishkurup »

The Audacity Works
You're perfectly welcome here, but understand you're trying to convince a bunch of meat eaters that the new Vegetarian all-you-can-eat buffet is AMAZING!

Jimknopf
you find it great that you "can PLAY a sound or any GROUP of sounds from a single pad". Well, at least that minimizes the risk of knoting fingers while trying to play black and white keys.

ROFL :D!!!

;) Manish
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

Hmm... The meat eaters vs. vegetarian thing wasn't to imply that the MPC didn't have meat, only that meat eaters don't care about vegetables, no matter how good they taste. It works the other way around too.

Regardless, foleycore is lacking serious conceptual knowledge if he's trolling workstation keyboard forums. He needs to move his blathering over here:

http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... _all&fid=3

Or here:

http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewforum ... 66efa93deb
the VA in the MPC5000 was directly lifted from the Alesis Fusion synth which was the best virtual analog i have ever heard and is itself based on the Alesis Ion which got rave reviews.
I thought it was Alesis and Waldorf. Guess you pulled the whole Waldorf and Sony Oxford thing out of thin air, huh?
you have your facts wrong, as you can indeed pick a sound or any group of sounds from a single pad, in fact you can PLAY a sound or any GROUP of sounds from a single pad.
Not like a workstation. You can't, say, pull up a piano patch and a string patch, plug in a keyboard, and play both simultaneously in a live context. All routing is performed through the sequencer, and you're only playing the destination for the currently selected track. The only way to layer a piano and strings is to custom-build a multilayered multisample, which is extremely time consuming.

Again, this isn't a disadvantage; it simply reflects the inherent differences between boxes like the MPC and proper keyboard workstations.
It has been well proven that sounds that are compressed DO NOT translate well to extra compressed formats such as MP3, AAC etc so you've got trouble buddy boy.
Huh? Proven where? Give me one source. Besides, Roland's scheme is nothing like MP3 compression. You might want to read up on what data compression really means and how various schemes differ.
your fantom doesn't have grid recording but the 5000 does plus we have step piano roll pattern and linear, are you telling me akai hasn't worked out a streamlined user interface, i think you better wake up out of that misguided dream. you're getting it all wrong.
Sigh... Foleycore, buddy. Seriously. Are you scared of the MV or something? Why do you keep mentioning the Fantom-G? It's like you're picking on some freshman, while hopelessly oblivious of his 250-pound buff brother standing behind him.

One more time: Compare the MPC with the MV-8800, because they're the same TYPE of product.

Truth be told, I think Akai made a smart move—They returned to their roots. Instead of trying to compete with vastly superior software sequencers (or the MV's sequencer), they focused more on simplicity and elegance. Their primary market is existing MPC users who can't bother learning a new workflow (which, admittedly, is huge). The new features are welcome, and the thing sounds very good. It's still not a workstation (because it's not supposed to be), and it's not an MV-8800 either. It's the best MPC Akai's ever made, which for many, is good enough.
bassman

Post by bassman »

Hi Guys,

I'm going to lock this one. Let me explain why. . . .

The most obvious reason is that it has gotten off topic and stayed there. This may seem like a 'so what?' issue, but on a different and more subtle level it affects the forum. If the majority of threads go off-topic and contain multiple subjects, it makes things much more difficult when anyone performs a search. The true subject matter is not contained in the header and therefore will probably be overlooked. If a new thread is started, the subject matter can quickly be identified and the info being searched for is more likely to be found, and found more quickly.

So, please start an Akai vs. Fantom thread if that is what you are going to discuss.

Secondly, there is a bit of 'mini-flaming' going on, as JimKnopf stated. This is boring and for the most part useless.

Just doing a little housekeeping here. . . . . . .