SRX-07 worth buying for Juno G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
RobJuno

SRX-07 worth buying for Juno G?

Post by RobJuno »

Any opinions on whether the SRX-07 would be a worthy addition to the Juno G? Or rather in addition to the Juno G owner who already has both SRX97/98 promo boards and only one slot between them already! The analogue essentials board gives 13 extra electric piano patches straight away, and a few 'live'-lier synth and synth-keys patches.

I bought the Juno for Roland sounds, as it was these I was missing. I have soft-synths to cover classic Korg (all legacies), Yamaha (NI FM7/8), Electric Pianos in NI Elektrik Piano, and EZ Drummer Drums... and an old TG500 for S&S sounds, but half the idea of the juno was for more modern real instrument sounds of all categories.

The write-ups and demos (on the roland site) of the SRX-07 have caught my attention most of all the boards... and the opinion in places like this forum seem to suggest it is a favourite card.

With only one slot, and no particular identified need for, say, brass/strings sounds, I can't see me ever desiring such a card as those in my one slot. So, as per usual, I get to the end of a very long-winded question... Does anyone, preferably with some experience, think the SRX-07 would add to the Juno G? ... or just be pretty much more of the same, and maybe indistinguishable from the samples already onboard?
Diametro

Re: SRX-07 worth buying for Juno G?

Post by Diametro »

It's a tough call ... Having only one SRX was ONE of the reasons I returned my Xa ...

It's mostly analog samples and eps and organs ... Not sure if it would have been my #1 choice but as 1/4 I don't regret it ...

The good news is that generally SRX-07 is in demand so if you don't like it you will be able to move it with perhaps minimal loss ...

When I get in front of the X I'll mosey through the SRX-07 patches again and report back ...
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Hey Rob,
In my opinion SRX-07 is overrated. I was quite dissapointed when I finally installed it in my FX. Don't get me wrong it does have some great patches on it but as Diametro has stated it does have a lot of organs even elctric bass sounds on it which in my opinion shouldn't be on this board.

Anyway of the 450 odd patches on the SRX-07 board only 50 to 60 are outstanding which means going through a hell of alot of poor, dull sounding patches.

SRX-07 is a regurgetated SR-JV80-04 vintage synth board, sounds of the 60s /70s from the old JV range which strangely I find the SR-JV80-04 is far superior to the SRX-07 Ultimate keys board which I have in my JV1080.

Now we have a new flagship Roland synth that doesn't accommidate SRX boards should mean the SRX boards will now drop in price. If I was you I would try to get a good conditon boxed second hand one of ebay. At least then you won't have shelled out mega bucks on a throughly over rated expansion board.

BTW I think SRX-05 DANCE is pretty good for anologue type sounds plus it is completely new and not old SR-JV80 patches. There are some good pads and bass sounds on it. You would probably get it cheaper than the SRX-07 board as it is not so sort after.
djchris

Post by djchris »

I have to agree. I don't want to start a "flame the 07" trend here, as I know many people love it, but from a studio standpoint- hmmmmmm. Not a very GREAT board, to be honest. The sounds are, well, OLD. Samples are a bit dull, and need EQ'ing, and are quite noisy and overdriven in the midrange (especially the EP's). Organs are great, but really one-dimensional, i.e. not much aftertouch interaction. Yes, I know, I know people, I can program that in, but...

The analog sounds are OK- there are a couple of SUPERB Oberhaim OBX samples for pads, but beyond that? 15 to 20 good sounds out of 400. Mediocre- my XP-60 had better souding D50 and DX samples. So, $250, no. If you can find one on ebay cheaper (I sold mine for $150 with free shipping last week), great. Look at the SRX 05 and 08 for good analog samples.

Chris
hoodedclaw

Post by hoodedclaw »

If you want the SRX-07 to sound better, get programming your own sounds from scratch using the waveforms. I can't understand why people buy the SRX boards and just use the presets - and then they all complain about them - how dull.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Well not everyone wants to program their own sounds or have the time to do it, that's why they buy over priced expansion boards to give them instant, great sounding patches.

So I don't think thats dull at all.

And another thing............................
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Yeah, lemme see- Wife and daughter- I need to spend the next few weeks after work- sitting in my studio- trying to create awesome patches that Roland couldn't bother doing. I hope you don't mind. Please send hot food down when you can and keep the PVR going for me- I don't want to miss American Idol and Oprah.
Oops, did I say Oprah- I mean Dr. Phil.
nuts- sorry, I mean -----
busted!
Actually, I would recommend converting the original SR-JV80 patches for it as it does at least boost your patch count by a few hundred patches (although it is a painful process and you need to map out waveforms properly which can be tedious and impossible sometimes).
I converted the Asian SRJV80 patches for the SRX-09 World card and my Sonic Cell- stopped after that since the other patches sounded bad. I still got a good a slew of patches to keep me happy until my next SRX card.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

I think it's just an issue of clarity on whether users are complaining about the quality of patches or waveforms.

If people have a problem with the patches on a card, then no problem saying so. If, however, there's general agreement that the waveforms on a particular card suck, then no amount of patch writing can save us.

Creating patches professionally from scratch is time consuming, but I don't think tweaking a patch that's close to what you want takes long at all, and can give a massive sonic improvement.
djchris

Post by djchris »

Hey- sit around and "tweak" to your hearts content- but I need ready to go, quality sounds. I think I sat around twiddling knobs on my MG1 and Juno 60 when I was 16, but I have a business to run now- between my ebay business and 18 current clients (yep, mostly DULL commercial, video and educational soundtrack contracts, along with some club remix work) and my day job, I don't have time to be fiddling with some overpriced ROM cartridge. That's why I sold it. It's not bad, but for a working musician its a bit played out, that's all. Honestly, the analog sounds don't sound very analog, and the EP's are muddy. Period.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Maybe look at it this way: By the time you've scanned through hundreds of patches that are close but not quite "it" you could have stopped and tweaked one, and saved yourself some time, AND have a better patch ;-)