New G Video

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
b3keys

New G Video

Post by b3keys »

Another Video from NAMM: Nothing really new, but there are some nice close-up shots of the new screen. Also, I noticed some patch names (sounds) carried over from Sonic Cell. Here's the link:

http://livefrom.musicplayer.com/clip.as ... 8&ctx=feat

Enjoy!
madAhorn

Re: New G Video

Post by madAhorn »

Hey thanks!
Some great big screan shots on that video.
Twinton

Post by Twinton »

Thanks ! ;-)
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Wow nice screen shame they've used the old realtime knobs of the FX. I wonder how long it will be before people start complaining that they don't work because they are so fragile like the ones on the X!
SkylineUK

Post by SkylineUK »

Thanks. I also just spent a happy hour going through all the other new NAMM toys on that site!

John
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I want the big one on the wall behind him! Will that model be available? if so I'm getting one! ;)
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

Have you noticed the "LIVE" sticker in the "MODE" area?

This really makes clear how unfinished this prototype of this Fantom G model was!

Edit: I am really curious to see the finished versions, hopefully they are not a Microsoft-like "the users will have to finish it" beta-version...
GregC

Post by GregC »

what makes you think Roland, Korg or Yamaha rush a half baked $3000 work station to its customers ?
SRUT, BUT...

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

GregC wrote
what makes you think Roland, Korg or Yamaha rush a half baked $3000 work station to its customers ?
1. Just my overall + personal experience (generally, not towards Roland, Yamaha or Korg in particular).

2. Very close deadline til sales start (a few weeks only).

3. Lots of work to do (sound portfolio, GUI etc.). The prototype seemd VERY unfinished: Indicators: a.) only Roland staff was allowed to play + demo the Gs. b.) Still no demos available, although announced by Roland officials and their website ("soon").

4. Very complex piece of hardware (due to high expectations from customers to reliability, creativity, state of the art tech level etc.)

BUT: I have no actual hint that Roland is going to play the game with such great risk. As I said: I truely hope that it will a rock-solid, highly inspiring and sexy piece of gear! I try hard to keep my optimistic attitude! :-)
Radek

Post by Radek »

It's very safe to assume it will not ship then. It isn't rare to have products delayed even by few months or more.
GregC

Post by GregC »

"1. Just my overall + personal experience (generally, not towards Roland, Yamaha or Korg in particular).

3. Lots of work to do (sound portfolio, GUI etc.)."

I am not picking on you, but I noticed some folks here comparing Roland and what ' might ' happen based on Microsoft or other software co's

I don't like that comparison. Software co's are notorious for slipping dates badly or shipping a half baked software products. Sort of the ' good enough ' approach. Some consumer software is generally cheap and i easily upgradeable via a simple d/l

Stick with comapring apples to apples.

Roland has slipped a month or 2 on the XV line. Plus they were very skimpy with inventory in month 1 and 2
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Know that these prototypes were hand-built and not 'assembly line' manufactured. At the time of the NAMM show, much of the programming was largely unfinished. It's software was being regularily updated by programmers in Japan, which, using the thumb drive, was an extremely simple proceedure. Just plug the drive in and turn the keyboard on! No hassel! The keyboard pictured above had a serial plate that was devoid of any identification and was on it's way back to Japan to be crushed! =( I'm the tall guy on the right.) =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

http://www.piaknow.com

GregC

Post by GregC »

"software was being regularily updated by programmers in Japan, which, using the thumb drive, was an extremely simple proceedure. Just plug the drive in and turn the keyboard on! No hassel!"

wow, any monkey can do that

So Roland enjoys sexing us up for an extra 2-3 months so we can get our bodies waxed before buying the " G" ?

:D
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

For the past few years I've noticed that the new Roland products don't wind up showing up in stores until mid-to-late summer. So I think we're a bit premature in criticizing the delivery schedule at this point. BTW, Sweetwater is stating "Spring" for their delivery times, and they are pretty much a company you can trust. Thus I expect that's what Roland is promising them. So if true, we could be looking at anywhere between 4 - 17 weeks. Not bad!
GregC

Post by GregC »

an optimist, you are

Spring of what year ?
:D