NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
2TIM316

Re: NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Post by 2TIM316 »

Ummm....anyway, we know for sure that only a few people here have actually hear a "G", and that in a noisy NAMM booth environment. This assumption that there will be no improvement in overall sound quality is absolutely ridiculous. Who knows? Roland claims a new sound engine and I believe them. What I heard of the ARX boards from the Tibbs video sounds mighty good. The only way I'll be able to tell is to take my XR to the music store, when they have a "G" in stock, and do some serious A/Bing with my Sony Headphones.

From the specs, however, we do know that the "G" has a number of improvements over its predecessors, thus Audacity Works is obviously using sarcasm to make his point.

Basically we're at the same place we are every year - the waiting game.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Actually 2TIM316,

There were only 2 other people in a very quiet room with me when I got to play the 'G'. I thought that it's sounds, from what I heard, were incredible, especially the Dist. guitar patch I messed around with. Does that mean anything to anyone other than myself? Proabably not. What sounds 'incredible' to me may not sound so to you. Sound appreciation is a subjective process. No matter what is said on this forum, being musicians, we must hear to believe! I've generally been keeping my mouth shut concerning sound quality for this very reason. Know that Roland is a company that can and does deliver! That's why I'm here. I own alot of their product and have appreciated every instrument I've purchased! I was far from disappointed and am purchasing a Fantom G8 when it is available!! Does that mean anything to anyone else? Probably not.

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

http://www.piaknow.com

GregC

Post by GregC »

ah, this makes sense

Piaknow signed the dreaded NDA
:D
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

hey piaknowguy
Well, speaking from myself, I can say that it means something to me ;-)

BTW did you checked the videos from the Japanese site? There's one where, from a brief moment, we can hear a Distortion guitar patch played but that long hair Japanese player (sorry don't remember his name)
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey Thanks V-CeeOh!

I should mention that the pitch bend enhancement is awesome for those of us who enjoy 'guitar shredding' on the keys!! That is a HUGE feature for me in that it offers far more realism and flexibility when playing lead. For those who don't know, the new bend mechanism allows for selective pitch bend depending on the note or chord first played. You can play chords on other keys that will not be affected by your current lead pitch bend. Its sort-of like having a 'polyphonic' bend. (eg. the difference between channel and polyphonic aftertouch.)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

http://www.piaknow.com

Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Now that I like....the ability to bend the notes you want without bending them all...Awesome...
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

GregC,

Yes! We had to force PiaKnowGuy to sign a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' of which he is obviously in the process of nullifying. Therefore, we are left with no choice but to string Piaknowguy up by his [Deleted by secret Roland agent] and [Deleted by secret Roland agent].

GregC

Post by GregC »

his lips are moving, too

You should see the words !

I am sure glad I don't know what he knows
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I respect all these comments, but for me, the acid test will be A/Bing my Fantom XR to the Fantom-G with Sony Headphones. Only then will I be able to determine if and how much there is an improvement in overall sound quality. BTW, I'm squarely in the camp which believes that the Fantoms (S, X, Juno-G, etc.) sound good, but not as punchy/fat/ballsy/whatever as the Triton/M3, or Motif ES/XS. I hope the Fantom-G answers this with its new sound engine. Nevertheless, as a former owner of a Motif ES Rack, I had the decision as to which rack to keep for live gigs, and it was the Fantom XR, hands down. Just sounds more organic or something. Now if they can just punch it up a bit with this new sound engine and new effects, that will be cool!
GregC

Post by GregC »

tim, you still have the XR ?

I sold mine over a year ago for $1100

I just checked eBays closed auctions and the value has dropped to
$700-800

just sayin'
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

The value to me is not in terms of dollars, but the job it does for me. If I sold it, I'd have nothing to replace it with. If Yamaha had released a rack version of the Motif XS, I'd be tempted, but the only other option would be Motif ES Rack - I had it and sold it, and Korg M3R, which, I'm not thrilled with. So I'm happy with my XR. If I get a "G", I'll probably sell it for whatever it'll bring. But whatever that figure is, I've still gotten tons of value out of it. A great piece of gear!
GregC

Post by GregC »

ok, I understand completely

The XR is your main rompler. One thing I miss is that great harmonica patch. That was a killer.

I hear you on the M3R. Its hard to rely on a rack unit from 1985

On the other hand, the M3M has great potential