NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
piaknowguy

NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Post by piaknowguy »

Septimo

Re: NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Post by Septimo »

piaknow....You must be a part of the [Deleted by secret Roland agent] to have found this..
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Aw man...can't we say anything?
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Darn...Now I'll be tempted to get the ARX01 board as well...

The ARX02 is on order with my G7 and I think that will do for now.

Not a lot of sound on the demo, but enough to show some pretty good quality, I might say.
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

You are correct, Septimo. PiaKnowGuy is [Deleted by secret Roland agent].

Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

This video tells considerably more than what we have so far. Thanks Piaknow!

ARX-01 looks really promising and has a very nice basic punch together with crystal clear definition. Separate compressors directly available are great as well! This thing could be *very* useful, provided there are enough basically different drum sounds on board and not just half a dozen fundemantal types to tweak.

ARX-02 sounds extremely ambivalent.
Not bad at all with a lot to tweak away. But one thing still is extremely irritating to me: I've not yet heard any single convincing natural sounding vintage Rhodes ot Wurly sound from it. Especially the attack and release phases sound *very* artificial to me. I have no idea if there is a chance to get a real Rhodes Mk I or II or real Wurlitzer A 200 sound from that board.
A Hohner D6 clavinet has not yet been heard on any demo. Looks like it is missing altogether.
Anyway: just nicely tweakable hybrids 'resembling' the originals are not what I'm really after. I will have to check this thing in the store to be sure, but up to now I heard too much plastic sound from it and not the warmth and depth of the originals...
BigBrotherMotown

I finally see the Genius of Roland

Post by BigBrotherMotown »

It seems to me that Roland has told us a thing or two (Rather Descretely)

What 2 things have been complained about the MOST with Roland Keyboards???

The RHODES & The DRUMS!!!!

Now, by releasing the "Rhodes" and "Drums" ARX cards they have given US the ability to customize those two sounds any way we want. Which will mean that if our drums and rhodes suck from now on, IT WILL BE OUR OWN FAULT!!!

I guess its a GOOD thing from a "tweakers" standpoint but I admittedly am a "Preset Whore" so we'll see.

It does seem that the ARX sounds are VERY easy to modify so maybe I will be tempted to play with it more....
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

Oh! I already [Deleted by secret Roland agent].
stevie

Post by stevie »

I'm still very unconvinced about the value of these boards -they retail for £300 in the Uk and I think $450-$500 in the US. Both boards costing £600 is rediculous, and that's simply too much for what they offer. Certainly not a 'no brainer', look at the competition - just think about the sample libraries you can buy for that.

Conveinient YES, easy YES, sound good PROBABLY, but value is highly debatable compared with the competition. These will appeal most to the mobile stage musician, but for studio work I think there are better alternatives.

Steve
Radek

Post by Radek »

It's hardware extension which you will be able to resell without too much of a loss. And it doesn't reduce polyphony or effect instances nor put any extra requirements.

Actually I don't understand some people - Yamaha get slammed by not supporting PLG in XS anymore. Roland get critiqued by introducing something similar but with modern specs.

And what about sampling capabilities in Fantom-G? Aren't they overlooked as in F-G they should be way more practical. Using other sample libraries shouldn't be much of problem then.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Well, I'm conviced of the usability and sound quality of the ARX boards now. Still, I need to compare those with the stock sounds just to make sure the extra cost is worth it for me. I don't see myself needing the level of editing of the ARX-1 but I think I will not resist the ARX-2 ;-)
stevie

Post by stevie »

"It's hardware extension which you will be able to resell without too much of a loss."

I beg to differ - yes you can recoup SOME of the investment, maybe half or less I would say on average. That's what happened to the value of my X8 which I sold last year. I will always let someone else take the hit first now.

"Actually I don't understand some people - Yamaha get slammed by not supporting PLG in XS anymore. Roland get critiqued by introducing something similar but with modern specs."

That's yet to be seen. I merely stating that you need to weigh up the competition, and in my view the competition wins for studio use no question, except in the ease of use and convienience catagories. The ARX boards are more suitable to people who are more live/stage performers who need to carry an easy sound arsenal around. That's a big market. There's nothing wrong in aiming a product for that market.

Steve
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

You all are not too much into realistic 1:1 vintage EPianos, are you? ;-)
Arctica

Post by Arctica »

^ Not as much as you :). Interesting video! Thanks piaknowguy!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

You all are not too much into realistic 1:1 vintage EPianos, are you? ;-)
LOL!
I just don't have enough room to place that Stage73 I'm dreaming of, if you know what I mean ;-)