NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
SRUT, BUT...

Re: NEW FANTOM ARX BOARD VIDEO! [Scott Tibbs}

Post by SRUT, BUT... »

Thanx 4 the link!

EP are not really something I'd die for (or kill), but ARX 1 looks VERY promising indeed!

Now I want more info, c'mon Roland: feed the felines (=fans)!

btw: DR. Scott Tibbs?
I didn't know he had that title?
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Woe......piaKnow...You're connected...I knew it....You're a part of....you know what....I'll becareful with what I say befroe I get deleted.

About DR scott tibbs.....with that hair I doubt [deleted by secret Roland agent]. lol!
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

oh crap....here we go again....
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

So whats new?

I'm sorry to all the disciples of the new G but I really can't see what all the fuss is about. I can't hear any difference between the ARX boards and the sounds on my FX.

Please, Please be gentle with me!
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

have you cleaned your ears recently? :)))
Just kidding, fantom X had already very good EPs so what do you expect? miracle? But it had very bad drums and cymbals and here improvement is big.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I had the opposite experience...I have had no problem with the Fantom X drums at all, but the stock EP's were not realistic sounding at all...

Of course the SRX-12 fixed that Rhodes part of that.

The SRX-07 has pretty nice Wurly samples...

I can't wait to hear Organ and Brass, etc from the new machine...
GregC

Post by GregC »

I have always thought Roland drums are the best. Definitely in your face samples plus the use of Rolands great FX

Its a little tough to hear the quality improvements in the ARX 01. But the individual adjustments to snare, cymbal, kick drum are very cool

How about that ARX02 Supernat'l EP ???
That's a keeper.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Hey cuborg,
I know what you mean bout the drums in the Fantom X. they do sound a bit dull. So what I do is change the filter settings on the indivdual drum sounds in a kit. this really does bring them to life.

try setting the filter to 'peaking' on a snare drum and you get a nice crisp sound.

Go on I dare you to try it, you may even like it!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Concerning the ARX boards I think that we cannot focus strictly on the "sound", although this is obviously the most important thing. Since there are difference interfaces and new editing features for each ARX board, we're expected to get sounds not available in the stock memory but also, the WAY we get those sounds is expected to be more easy and straightforward. I can only compare what I mean with the PIANO mode button of the X. More then often I just switched ON my X, pressed the button and enjoyed playing and tweaking the piano sounds.
On the other end, yes, the Fantom X/SRXs EP sounds were already good enough for me so I don't expect nothing "new" but something "better".
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Far be it from me to want to worry anyone but why should you have to shell out another £300 ($450) for each indivdual ARX board, to upgrade the Fantom G sound. What is this saying about the internal patches of dis machine?

I know someones gonna say, Yeah but.......but you have to do this with the Fantom X, well yes I know that but we are now at a stage in technology and Roland technology in 2008 where maybe we shouldn't have to shell out mega bucks just to get THAT sound we all crave.

Anyway I am off to play with my excellent and fully loaded Fantom X.........Ta Ta For now.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

...why should you have to shell out another £300 ($450) for each indivdual ARX board, to upgrade the Fantom G sound
...maybe we shouldn't have to shell out mega bucks just to get THAT sound we all crave.
Know what? you haven't ;-)
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

Solitary man:
Far be it from me to want to worry anyone but why should you have to shell out another £300 ($450) for each indivdual ARX board, to upgrade the Fantom G sound. What is this saying about the internal patches of dis machine?

I know someones gonna say, Yeah but...
Yeah, but... The actual feature set of the ARX boards doesn't exist in the Fantom-G. They aren't just extra ROM patches like the SRX boards—they're entire synth engines in their own right. I wasn't aware that the ARX-01 gave you a compressor per drum. Does that apply to percussion too, or are the kits limited to, say, the C2 kick to Eb3 ride?

And to be fair, compressed videos NEVER reflect the true quality of a synth. I remember the ARX-02 sounding better than that video portrays.
Radek

Post by Radek »

I know someones gonna say, Yeah but.......but you have to do this with the Fantom X, well yes I know that but we are now at a stage in technology and Roland technology
in 2008 where maybe we shouldn't have to shell out mega bucks just to get THAT sound we all crave.
What "megabucks"? You may get a sample library instead what should way more doable (thanks to other improvements in F-G) than it was in X.

Actually there are libraries which go for few hundred easily.
And may C/R and dongle your computer and didn't give you any rights to resell.

ARX boards are physical modelling synths after all. Some extra pricetag is to be expected.
Anyway I am off to play with my excellent and fully loaded Fantom X.........Ta Ta For now.
Nice. I'd like to but I have to stay with Juno-G for a while. Personally I'm awaiting to prices of X-es to drop a little.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

I have the SRX-01 in my Fantom and am very satisfied with many of its sounds. So I could say: I'm fine with it and don't need anything new.

But I don't, because ARX-01 is a big step further. It is nearly like working with BFD in software. The ability to fine tune, tune wet and dry 'miking' and add effects etc. helps you fit your drums into each individual piece of music, like it was only possible with software so far. And from my work with BFD I know how helpful it can be just to get the drums a bit more dry, or tune them a bit higher or lower to avoid an unwanted overlap with other sounds in the mix etc

I don't know how you work, but I often have a first idea, a Rhodes or bass riff, some atmospheric synth chords or whatever. The first second thing I always do after that, is imagine a rhythm which might match the basic idea. And if I can do that with tuning in the appropriate sounds right away, that is a big help in creative workflow.

The compressors per drum were the real surprise to me! Maybe some of you are not aware of it, but this way ARX01 means you can get the whole drum tracks mix done (perfect!) within the FantomG (remember the 128 tracks?) and just export the result as audio file to your software DAW for final mixdown. No need to fine tune raw drum data there (in software) any more. And you carry this solution with you everywhere, anytime with your Fantom G. I just hope they have put enough variety of basic sounds from natural to electronic drums into it, because tweaking half a dozen elementary sets wouldn't do the job.

You all know meanwhile that I am not enthusiastic without a reason, but this would really be an opportunity...
hangman

Post by hangman »

Didn't see a great deal in the video to make me particularly enthusiastic about the ARX boards, might be interested in the drums one when i know more about it but not being a big fan of electric pianos the second one does very little for me.

I'd much rather see a strings or analogue synth ARX but perhaps these will come with time.