Why no pattern mode for the G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
b-righteous

Why no pattern mode for the G?

Post by b-righteous »

I thought Roland would have improved the dis-functional so-called pattern recording from the X with the true pattern mode from the MV8000. Instead it looks like they just removed pattern recording all together.

Maybe they thought that with interface enhancements and more tracks that no one would need pattern mode? I think this is false because while the enhancements are welcome, those who work with patterns (the majority of the hip hop R&B community) still need this feature. Maybe they want to make us buy the MV8800 and the G? Nope!!

I see they still have RPS so maybe the pattern recording is still being worked on. Can anyone from Roland confirm if the G is now strictly linear recording?

If you still need a MV or MPC with the G then for some the sequencer enhancements become useless. This is a deal breaker for me so I will not purchase without pattern mode.
The Audacity Works

Re: Why no pattern mode for the G?

Post by The Audacity Works »

I didn't see "Pattern" mode at NAMM, but I think I remember seeing the ability to assign both patterns and phrases to pads in RPS mode. It may simply have not been finished at the time. I also vaguely either seeing or hearing about a pattern track in song mode, but... not sure. It's been a while now. None of my notes mention it.

I never use pattern mode, but a lot of others do, so it'd be pretty unwise for Roland to omit it. Guess we won't find out for sure until the G's manual appears online.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Why complain if you do not know the specs? The Fantom-G series now uses phrase sequences, and I think they are now not part of the song, but part of the project, so you can share patterns between songs. Isn't this like on the MV?
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

I know that the specs are not complete so it is possible that there will be a pattern mode. However, from the specs so far and the screen shots it does appear to be strictly linear. I am raising the issue to let Roland know there are lots of people who use pattern sequencing and leaving that out may loose some sales. Also those sales may not all be recouped by the MV8800 but other competing products. I am hopping that if it is not yet set in stone that they consider adding it.

I see what you are saying about the phrase sequence and I do believe you would be able to use this with RPS. But it looks to me like phrases are for 1 track and do not contain multiple tracks. If so then then it is more like a groove box function found on the Korg M3. The MV has 100 1 track midi clips per project along with a dedicated pattern mode which are two totally different features.