WE HIGHLY UNDER-ESTIMATE THE POWER OF SAMPLE SETS

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
hangman

Re: WE HIGHLY UNDER-ESTIMATE THE POWER OF SAMPLE SETS

Post by hangman »

hellp again piaknowguy, I had looked into the sample set feature as a possible solution but from what I can tell I can only use one sample set per part in studio mode, therfore to get 128 keys I would need to use up 8 of the 16 parts just for one multisample.

I know the example you gave is for live mode but what about studio mode?. Maybe I am totally wrong here but from what I can tell your workaround doesnt really work for studio mode.

In any case I dont think we should be in a position to be looking around desperately for workarounds when multisampling is an important feature for many people as has been shown on the forum in the last week and should have been included on the G. Nontheless I appreciate that you're trying to help solve the issue.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Oh and , just to remember, since you can use 4 splitted samples in a patch you could actually build a sound with 64 samples (16 parts x 4 samples) in a Studio Set. This obviously would be very time consuming to do and would take away the purpose of the Studio Set by itself but still can be achieved for those who can't leave without "that" sound.
hangman

Post by hangman »

again this does not work in terms of recording a song as all the parts are taken up on by the one so called multisample. What about for recording a song in studio mode, would it be possible to use a drum part as you can on the fx and select a different sample for each key?
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Here we move in circles.

I do like workarounds. But let's look at the G.
The main reason I like this device so much is the really smart workflow hidden in its functions. Using this device can mean keeping *much* more time and energy than before for music making itself. Being creative instead of struggling through fussy sequencing functions and live settings.

From this perspective it just doens't make enough sense to invest the time just won into workarounds for a reintroduced loss of functionality. Or do you others disagree?
hangman

Post by hangman »

well if there is a workaround that isnt too time consuming it is better than nothing, but its still not good enough for multisampling to be left out and I am just hoping an update that solves this comes soon after the G is released but this might be overly optimistic. However so far I have not seen a decent workaround that works for studio mode anyway.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I agree we should NOT be forced into having to look for a work around for what was already available in a previous version of a product when this is supposed to be an evolution from what came before..
This cannot be called progress in the strictest sense of the word..
Its a Distortion

But hey.. You all know bitching here will do you no good..
Start telephoning and emailing roland and bitch to them..
or your going to be stuck without it for along long time..
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes I know but still in most of the cases you don't use the full 128 keyrange, or should I say 88 key range (for a G8), in a multisample so you would not be using all parts. And even then you can use the Audio Recorder and free up your Studio Set.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes , still a workaround. Not trying to excuse the lack of multisampling. Just trying to see a way through it. Don't see why we can't look for a solution for someone looking for it.

EDIT
@hangman
Yes you still can think on using a Drum Set with different samples for each key and achive a "like-multisampled" sound but this would reeeeally be time consuming.
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

What I can share with you concerning sample sets and mutisampling is [Deleted by secret Roland agent]

Zephyer

Maybe the best way to workaround it?

Post by Zephyer »

Hi all

“Would it be possible to use a drum part as you can on the fx and select a different sample for each key?”

Yes I wrote on this go to page five and six of the Fantom-G - Multisamples or not??? topic. A Ray of hope maybe And the software would be fast an easy to use.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

This is not! a solution
you do not get individual filtering or parameters for each tone and you do not have structures..

I think we should stop trying or be forced in to working around Rolands F-Ups

and tell roland to fix it..
stevie

Post by stevie »

good luck.......
geppastro

Post by geppastro »

"This is not! a solution
you do not get individual filtering or parameters for each tone and you do not have structures..
I think we should stop trying or be forced in to working around Rolands F-Ups
and tell roland to fix it.. "

You're right Quinnx. Also: you won't have portamento nor legato/mono/poly options.
No way sample sets will be workarounds for multisampling.

As I understand it, the only partial workaround for multisampling will be rhythm sets. With rhythm sets you'll have almost everything, except automatic transposition of the same sample on different keys, structures, portamento or legato/mono/poly options.

You'll have to map a sample to every key, but maybe you'll be able to assign the same sample to different keys and then individually transpose them.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

You are right, but:

I surely didn't order a Fantom G for wasting masses of time on partly functioning workarounds. I ordered the G only for one reason: to get more usability, better workflow, shorter time spent on bad usability. I for one will definitely not accept anything below fully functioning multisamples.

There is no workaround and no excuse for Roland, if they really missed this point: They fix it or they will suffer from heavy customer loss, ironically not only loss of advanced musicians regularly using the function, but for sure also by *many* others who want at least to be sure to be able to use this function, if ever needed.

Simple as that.
geppastro

Post by geppastro »

"There is no workaround and no excuse for Roland, if they really missed this point"

I agree. I was just trying to suggest workarounds to people who already decided to buy I G though. I for one won't buy it until they'll give us multisampling (additional MFX routing would be very welcome also).