Silence and noise?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
jessej

Silence and noise?

Post by jessej »

This might be an awkward question to some but I wonder how silent the fantom g is by itself?

- do any of the buttons make clicking sounds (hate that)
- does it have fans of any kind (because of the CPU cooling, graphics processor, whatever)
- anything else I didnt think of?

I ask of this because I play (and record) often with acoustic instruments in the same room and I hate making those disturbing clicking sounds when changing patches or banks or whatever during quiet passages in songs...

Also, can anyone recommend good durable pedals (sustain and control) else for the fantom g? Doesn't have to cost too damn much an the have nothing to do with the sound itself.

- Jesse -
madAhorn

Re: Silence and noise?

Post by madAhorn »

Yes, they do on the Fantom X anyway.
But, the 16 pads are very quite and will probably be all you need to change patches.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Jesse, all buttons will make clicks, but you can overcome this by using the pads to switch patches (which can be dead-silent if you press them gently), or the value dial (it makes very subtle sound as well). Also, no, there is no fan or anything that would make other noise in the Fantom-G.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Well theres a lot of "background" noise about the multisampling....
Oh damm, here we go again ....;-)

Seriously
The other thing you might have to consider is the keyboard itself. I don't know wich model you're considering but the X8 had a little too much "thumb". I noticed it specially at night. I remember someone here having trouble with it due to some resonance in the casing. The "Ivory Feel" keyboard (that I have already tested namely on the RD-700GX) has a more ""click" sound and the "thumb" seems to be gone but I have to see how it will be on the G8. Still, the keyboard "noise" is part of any keyboarded instrument so I guess it depends on what you're recording.
jessej

Post by jessej »

Ok, thank you for the info. This was all I needed to know and now I will make my order :)

- Jesse -
Radek

Post by Radek »

- does it have fans of any kind (because of the CPU cooling, graphics
processor, whatever)
No. Fantom-G is a fully solid state device. No moving parts except buttons, faders and keys. Fantom-G's chip doesn't have (probably) even a radiator (X and Juno-G don't have either).

It's one of more valuable things of hardware workstations like Fantoms. They are silent, dead silent.