Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
cyclops

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by cyclops »

Zephyrer
cyclops, I think it’s a good idea to have as many compatible flash cards as we can. You never know what people can afford or what they can get from a friend or something.
Actually, I retested my Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 4GB yesterday and found out that I had some issues about missing samples when loading some projects with many samples and multisamples. That projects load and save alright when I use my other USB sticks (mainly the Sony MicroVault 8GB). So, since there are even the slightest issues with samples, I would not reccomend it for anyone interested in buying a new USB stick for their Fantom-G. The Sony MicroVault or the Transcend Jetflash T5 are the only ones that get my 1000% approval. :-D
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

cyclops, I see what you’re saying, I'm the exact same way, don’t want my name attached to anything unless it’s excellent. (Removed it)

Thanks for the info Bratan, I’ll take it off. calebfoster, can you confirm that you are still using the 16gb pny attache usb drive and it‘s 100%. Compatible? (can save samples etc) If so I'll replace it.

Thanks guys!
P.S. Might be a good time to clean up this thread, or open a new one. I also think it would be very good idea to separate USB Flash and RAM memory threads into two.
I think so too, that’s why I made the list. Going through this thread to find compatible cards is a bit inconvenient.

This is what I would like to do.

Make a new thread for the list, I would ask that no one post in the new thread. I’ll add a link in the new thread that leads back to this thread. The link will read, please post compatible flash cards and comments here (the link will be the word here).

Art/mod, is this ok? if so can you un stick this thread and sticky the new one? I’ll do my best to keep it up to date. You guys are welcome (Art/mod) to edit it when I’m not online.

Thanks Zephyer.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

This is a great idea and gladly I've seen that it has already been locked, so that it will only be used as a reference. We can post our tested USB sticks here and Art or a moderator can add the new models once they appear here. I'm sure this can work very well. :-)
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

I was just about to post the same thing cyclops.

Thanks Art/Mod, you can delete the “Please do not post in this thread.” part.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

I believe that the thread's topic should also be changed. I don't think that the Fantom-G uses Flash cards. This could lead to confusion, especially for the new and inexperienced Fantom-G users. I think that the terms "USB sticks" or "USB thumb drives" could be more appropriate.

And if we finally get a wider USB device compatibility in the future (such as hard disks, CD/DVD writers etc), a new wider term could then be adopted.
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

I agree cyclops, we call them flash cards where I live so it was out of habit. But I just did a search for flash card on the web and it gave me all kinds of useless junk.

I would appreciate it if one of the Mods would change the name to Member Approved USB Sticks.
FANTOMSINGH

Post by FANTOMSINGH »

Kingston 2GB G2....works great i also have a 4GB data traveler...it also works but i dont use it with my fantom because i need it for school.
CShorte

Post by CShorte »

I am using the SanDisk Cruzer 2 GB and a Titanium 8 GB with the FG v1.30 OS ...
salsakid

Post by salsakid »

Kingston DataTraveler 100 16GB will do just fine....

Prerequisite : OS v1.20 or higher
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

The only USB stick I tested since I updated is my everyday stick, i.e. Sony MicroVault 8GB. It works as before, quick and fine.

I'll report about the Trancsend JetFlash T5 4GB and SanDisk Cruzer Titanium U3 4GB once I test them.
StEv0

Post by StEv0 »

@ Zephyr
Something to add to your 'Member-approved USB flash drives' thread.

I, as stated, have an Integral 4gb usb drive and I also purchased a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 8gb for back up and the possibility of a faster load time.
Much to my surprise, the older Integral (with the exact same data stored as the Cruzer) beat the Cruzer in load speed by some 24 seconds.
The Integral takes 36 sec to load from the Fantom G power up as oppossed to the seemingly absolute age of 1 minute for the Sandisk Cruzer. Obviously these speed should increase in proportion to the USB drives as I add more samples and user patches etc

So, the 8gb Cruzer works but it's slower....

Strange, huh ????

Cheers

Stevo..
Likare

Post by Likare »

Has anyone tried the EagleTec USB Nano drives on their Fantom G? They are ultra tiny, similar to the receiver on a Logitech VX 450 mouse.

I've seen them working on non-Roland workstations and I plan to get one soon for myself.

You can check em out here.

Thanks
AK-Jake

Post by AK-Jake »

For those in the US, I just bought an 8GB Geek Squad USB Thumbdrive from Best Buy and it seems to work perfectly. The guys at Best Buy all said it's the EXACT same thumbdrive as the SAN Disk ones they sell, only for a buck cheaper.

Dan Krisher from Roland US supposedly uses this exact same thumbdrive.

Just in case you want to know.
denvermorgan2000

Post by denvermorgan2000 »

I seems there is a lot of variation in price when it comes to these flash drives might pay to shop around a little
denvermorgan2000

Post by denvermorgan2000 »

I just wonder is anybody using anything bigger than 16gig i was reading in the list and nobody has listed anything biggger