Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
cyclops

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by cyclops »

denvermorgan2000:
I just wonder is anybody using anything bigger than 16gig i was reading in the list and nobody has listed anything biggger
No, I don't think there is anyone here that has tested a USB stick bigger than 16GB. But as far as I can remember, there was someone that tested the Fantom-G with a USB hard disk, but I can't recall who was this.
jessej

Post by jessej »

If you fill up a 16Gb stick with your Fantom G projects, you win a FREE swim to Finland + I will buy you a beer!

I promise!
denvermorgan2000

Post by denvermorgan2000 »

I also tried a usb hard disk a maxtor it did not work.
but i have not tried with the latest os i will try again soon as i fix my studio just finished a gig havnt put everything back in place yet.
denvermorgan2000

so far i havnt managed to fill up a single 16 gig drive
so i dont think i will be swimming to finland anytime soon i hear its a little rough out in the north sea anyways :-)
denvermorgan2000

Well i got a good deal on a kingston Data traveler
100 its 32 gigabytes and i can comfirm it works flawlessly in the fantom 6 with os 1.30
so we can add that one to the list
supergod

Post by supergod »

I havent read all the replies in this thread, so maybe this question has been produced here before, but what is the best option ; small USB sticks or the bigger ones?

I myself have had problems with a 8Gb USB stick called Rundisk..but not with my smaller Kingston and Roland sticks...
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

supergod: When you try a new USB stick, it's best to test it for compatibility with the Fantom-G BEFORE ACTUALLY USING IT WITH PRECIOUS DATA. To do this, create a new project into the USB stick and save it. Then try to sample something. Then try to save the sample. If the sample gets saved, it means that your USB stick is compatible. If you get a "Memory Full" message, then forget the USB stick. It's risky to use it, as it's probable to lose your data. Theoretically, the brand shouldn't matter that much, but to be sure about your data, try to use USB sticks from the most known manufacturers, like Kingston, Sandisk, Sony etc. I only encountered a corrupted USB stick with a Kingston 1GB, but it was the OS version 1.10 back then. OS 1.30 offers much more compatibility than previous versions.
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Does all 512mb RAM work with the G??
As I see, to get a 1gb RAM to work with it its a little bit harder than a 512mb one.
Thanks a lot!
keysme

Post by keysme »

does all 512mb RAM work with the G??
As I see, to get a 1gb RAM to work with it its a little bit harder than a 512mb one. Thanks a lot!

I assume you are talking about Sample memory. Not all Sample memory sticks will work with the Fantom G. Whether 512mb or 1GB, etc. does not automatically make them compatible or "easier" to work on the FG. Every RAM memory stick (regardless of its size) has to fall within certain specification criteria guidelines for them to work on the FG. Those criteria can be obtained from the Fantom G User Manual. And even if they do fall within the guidelines does not necessarily mean they will work on the Fantom G because some RAM sticks can be a little flaky irregardless of meeting certain strict guidelines; and might have not been manufactured with quality in mind i.e. they might have been shabbily produced with inferior materials - hence the reason they might not work on the FG, even though they happen to fall within the specification guidelines of the User Manual. ;) It's basically trial and error, especially with certain generic brands or RAM from lesser known manufacturers perhaps too, but using RAM memory that other members have already shown to work with the Fantom G is a good place to start in my opinion. :)

On a side note, I just bought another new USB flash drive and it works flawlessly with my Fantom G7. It is the Patriot 8GB Xporter XT (200x). I thoroughly tested it and it passed with flying colors. :) It is also one of the fastest USB flash drives currently on the market with amazing Read speeds and very acceptable Write speeds as well in my opinion. And it was essentially a steal at $19.95 after a $5 rebate that is currently offered with it. :)
thextreme1

Post by thextreme1 »

I am using a Sandisk MicroMate SDHC USB 2.0 Reader with a 16GB SDHC card and it works fine and very fast. An alternative to the more expensive USB stick drives.
jessej

Post by jessej »

hmm.. nice idea thextreme1.

How are the read/write speeds of SD cards compared to USB thumb drives?
jessej

Post by jessej »

keysme wrote:
>the Patriot 8GB Xporter XT (200x).

I wonder what the 200x stands for!?!

I just marked my left shoe with 800x. Let's see what happens tomorrow when I try walking with the pair! :D
jessej

Post by jessej »

I will now answer myself:

Jesse, "200x" stands for 200 times single-speed CD-ROM transfer rates (200 x 150 KB/s or 30 MB/s).
thextreme1

Post by thextreme1 »

jessej - "hmm.. nice idea thextreme1. How are the read/write speeds of SD cards compared to USB thumb drives?"

It is very fast. The 16GB card I have in the reader is generic, but the read/write speeds are still in the 25MB/sec range. Saving and loading from it, generally takes a few seconds at most. I havent tested loading with external sounds as of yet, but will give it a shot here in a few hours. I'll let you know what I come up with as far as load times.
denvermorgan2000

Hi this one passed the acid test kingston 32 gig data travler 100