Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by Artemiy »

canadave, just format it using the Dirk Utility on your Mac.
canadave

Post by canadave »

I did. That's what didn't work--I tried FAT and Mac formatting from Disk Utility, neither let me use it on the Fantom at all. The only way that let me format the Patriot in the Fantom (albeit with a 200MB size) was by going into Windows XP in Boot Camp and formatting it there first as FAT.

We just need keysme to come back and tell us which OS he used to format with, and which format (FAT/NTFS/other) he used....
canadave

Post by canadave »

I think I figured it out!!!

My Patriot, for some reason, had TWO partitions--a 200MB partition, and a partition taking up the remaining free space. I re-partitioned it in Mac's Disk Utility as ONE partition, formatted it there as well as FAT, and then took it to be formatted in the Fantom....and it works!!! AWESOME.
barbybarr

Post by barbybarr »

i got a busbi lite usb flashdirve. 16gb. seems to work fine, and im glad too tbh, because i was going off my head trying to get 1 in a shop near me, but with being in n.ireland, i found it hard to get a place that sold 1's.
rolands actual usb flashdrive i mean.
im new to this site folks, i just wanted to say hello to everyone :)
ive had my fantom now for 3 months almost, and i love it.
im still struggling on it from time to time though, its a crazy crazy machine, and its amazing, its everything i ever wanted.
i keep reading about glitches it has though, on other sites, discussions etc, and i havent had the chance to get involved in the discussions, i just read through them when i came across them on the net.
it was seemingly like the fantom had a whole range of faults and downsides, but in all honesty i find it great, what else could you want if you ask me.
it does everything, as far as i can gather.
i know i dont know a stack about the machine yet, but ive been constantly going through the internal devices, etc, and using it with fruity loops and its happy days.
im glad i bought it :).
1 thing i need to ask though, when using a midi file thats imported into it, for example, classical, dance music even, it always goes back to the instruments that it starts of with. even though ive been changing them from the start, and saving the studio set, it still goes back to the same 1s :(
sorry, i forgot to add the price of the flashdrive i use, it cost me just £34's
Epictitus

Post by Epictitus »

I installed the specified RAM into the Fantom. When I check the memory capacity in the menu, it sees the 500M memory. But I still can't save samples larger than 32M.

Any Ideas as to what is going on?
barbybarr

Post by barbybarr »

hey there folks :)
see that usb i mentioned on my last post.
it formatted ok, its working ok, but it doesnt look like what dan krishers did, the lay-out i mean.
once i formatted it, and done the project rules, i got the fantomprj1, the sub files, everything.
(mport) file too.
it seems to be woring ok.
my fear now is, afte reading a post saying, buy usb stick that has been tested, 8gb's, it was referring to, im now thinking, and hoping that things dont go wrong with the fantom.
it seems to be fine though.
ive been transferring smf files with no problems at all.
after that i came across a post referring to direcetly linking the g to pc and opening up internal, via usb connection, and its even faster, so i havent used this specific usb stick since knowing i can transfer files that way too.
ive to save a project soon, so ill know then if im going to run into problems with the usb stick.
i hope not though lol.
seems all good :)
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Epictitus:
I installed the specified RAM into the Fantom. When I check the memory capacity in the menu, it sees the 500M memory. But I still can't save samples larger than 32M.

Any Ideas as to what is going on?

Maybe you're saving your data to the internal memory, or there must be something wong with your 512MB memory module. Try first to use a USB stick for saving your work. If the problem insists, try doing a factory reset, after you have taken a backup off your internal memory. Also, try to remove the 512MB module and then put back in place, just in case it is not properly installed.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

1 GB and 4 GB Kingston DataTraveler drives do not work properly with the G (the Sinevibes Mega Pack with 1700+ samples cannot be loaded.

4 GB Apacer drive works very well.
Tom Castle

Post by Tom Castle »

You can add the Corsair Survivor 8gig USB drive to the list. Works perfectly.

TOm
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Tom, did you perform the Fantom-G compatibility check for the USB drive you're refering to?
Tom Castle

Post by Tom Castle »

What is the compatibility check? I can tell you that I have everything stored on my USB drive including Samples, RPS's, etc.

Tom
bigbarry2u

Post by bigbarry2u »

While I could get around the Fantom X7 fairly well, by new G7 has me baffled when it comes to USB, saving songs, and importing midi.

I am a total newbie, so I apologize if this is so basic, but it has me completely stumped. I am hoping that it is something very easy, and not an issue with my Fantom.

Anyway, I have no use at all of the USB function. I have tried several different USB sticks, formatted them by the Fantom, my computer (Macbook Pro), and everything seems to be okay with the USB stick. The system shows the USB stick, and tells me how much memory is available. But I can not see ANY files on the stick.

I can not import any audio, text, or anything. I have a lot of SVQ song files from my X7, but don't know how to get them on my G7.

I managed to get some midi files over by connecting my computer through a midi cable. But upon sampling, I quickly run out of internal memory. And I can't copy what I do have on the system to my memory stick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And again, sorry to be such a newbie. If I can get past the basic of how to save and store and load data, especially to the USB stick, then I should be good to go for a while.

b
tranztek

Post by tranztek »

If you format the USB stick on your FG then pop it into your computer, do you see the IMPORT folder? Drop your samples in there without any sub folders - now pop the usb stick in the FG. Under menu, press f4 IMPORT AUDIO - you should now see your samples. press f8 to import the samples. Any use??
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

bigbarry2u:

Please check out the Fantom-G micro manual, it explains a few important things you need to know about the G. From what you say it seems like you do have a USB drive but your data is actually still in the internal memory.

BTW, this topic has become a bit pointless, as many here ask questions which should be asked as separate topics... I tend to think we should close this one.
bigbarry2u

Post by bigbarry2u »

Thanks to both of you.

I have succeeded now in copying the sample to the USB stick where I have stored the project. What is not clear to me is if I can use something other than internal sample memory to store the sample as it is created.

I am running into the 32MB limit on my songs, and I can get more DIMM memory, I suppose, but if there is a way to have it created and stored using USB memory instead of creating it on internal memory, then copying it to USB, I don't see it.

Is that just how this works?

b