Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
jessej

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by jessej »

corrosive, I have no idea, I don't own the X.

- J -
cyclops

Roland M-UF1G made by Kingston???

Post by cyclops »

Hey guys, check this out: I found this Roland M-UF1G usb stick made for Fantom G. I noticed that the metal contacts part reads DT100/1GB. Could this DT100 stand for Data Traveler 100, made by Kingston???

This is the image I am reffering to:
http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Pro ... en_gal.jpg
The reading is located at the far left of the image.

Edit:
Bingo! They are exactly the same. They even have the same serial number, in the middle line, if you zoom into the two images. The one with the Kingston logo reads made in Taiwan, the one with the Roland logo reads made in China. This is the only visible difference I can see.

Here is the image of Kingston DT100:
http://kingston2.pgpartner.com/info_pic ... d=42959729

After this, I guess we all know which memory should be completely compatible with the Fantom G. :)
spybar

Post by spybar »

In my area there's Kingston DT100/8G and not Kingston DT100/1GB.

I have few questions... :)

1) Should I buy the 8G?

2) Is there a difference between USB drives' speed (SanDisk vs. Kinkston etc.)?

3) Will 8GB drive's gonna be slower than 1GB?

4) Can I fill the whole 8GB with FG's songs / projects etc?

Thank You!
billw

Post by billw »

After this, I guess we all know wich memory should be completely compatible with the Fantom G. :)
Nice work Cyclops. Newegg has them for $6.49 each...I just ordered 2.
damnboy

Post by damnboy »

I have Kingston DT100/4G and it doesn't work. I have to use my other 2GB USB drive to make it works.
I'm guessing FG can only take max 2 GB. Anyone can confirm?
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

My Kingston Mini 4G does not work either.

I have been afraid to waste money on a 2 Gig either, so I have been staying with my 1 Gig drives.
billw

Post by billw »

I have a generic 8GB stick I bought at Microcenter in January that works in my G7. It's r-e-a-l-l-y slow though.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Just a reminder...what we mean by working is that it will save samples...the ones that don't work don't save samples.

There may be other issues, I don't know.
aster

Post by aster »

Well guys, I was over optimistic once I also discovered the Kingston data traveller is the same model as the Roland 1GB stick and paid 50euro for the 16GB mstick.

Well of course it does not work but all is not lost. I was playing around with my other pieces of memory , and guess what! my 8GB Sony camera memory stick works, well at least 4GB of it is recognised by my FG7....who else has got this type of memory than can also give it a try ?
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

aster, you wrote:
my 8GB Sony camera memory stick works, well at least 4GB of it is recognised by my FG7
I don't get it. How exactly did you do this? You refer to memory stick, and as far as I know it's a type of memory card, such as SD or MMC. The Fantom G does not have an integrated card reader, like the Fantom X's internal PCMCIA card reader. Did you plug a card reader into Fantom's USB slot with the memory stick in the reader? If you can do this, then a whole world of possibilities is ahead us. I have at least 2 or 3 SD cards waiting to be used, along with a really elegant SanDisk reader.

Do you mean that we can use a card reader/memory card combo instead of usb flash drive? Please confirm.
aster

Post by aster »

Yes this is exactly what I did , I had a usb card reader loaded with a Sony Memory stick/Card Duo Pro 8GB. It showed up on my FG7 - system>info>memory as approx 3780 mb (almost 4GB) . Can some one else try it I did not get a chance to actually load samples on it......
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

aster: Ok then, this is great news. But taking in account the fact that it recognized only 4 of the 8GB of your memory stick, does this mean that there is a ceiling of 4GB per USB flash or memory card that the Fantom G can read?
Even if it is so, it's fairly adeqeuate for me personally.

One more thing: did you check if it really saves samples to the memory card? If yes, then the combo you tried is fully compatible.

Unfortunately I have no way to check this new way of saving, simply because I haven't bought the silver beast yet. Today I went to a local store here (I live in Greece) and all I can say is that I'm completely excited with the instrument. I can't wait to get my hands to one when the local dealer brings one. :)
aster

Post by aster »

Wow Cyclops, I live in Athens !!!....I have not loaded samples yet I will try after work tonight...I will let you know...hopefully it will work

Φιλικα
Αστεριος
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Wow, a fellow Greek in here. Nice to meet you Asterie. Panos from Volos here, greetings!

I hope the solution you tried works for everyone. And in adition to that, I hope that in a future software update maybe Roland will put compatibility for other USB storage options, like hard disks, CD/DVD writers etc. :)
aster

Post by aster »

Well , I managed to load a sample and save a project from /to my Sony memory stick / card duo pro attached ta USB reader. I have not tried maxing it out but appears that almost 4GB seems "doable"....