Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
cyclops

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by cyclops »

Ok then, apparently it seems that when Roland refers to "USB memory" they mean lots of types of USB memory, like card reader/memory card combos, maybe hard disks, not only usb sticks.

I bought the beast today from the local dealer (Yipieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!) and I was wondering: how everybody jumped to conclusions that the Fantom accepts only USB sticks? Why not usb hard disks? Even on the USB sockets on the rear of the machine, it reads "USB memory", not "USB flash disk" or something like that.

I'll check this new way of saving tomorrow, using a card reader / SD card combo for that matter. I'll post about the results I'll get.

Edit:
As I suspected. The microSD/card reader combo worked perfectly. I was able to save a bunch of test samples I imported along with some sounds and a little song I wrote. All of them passed into the project's folder. I also tried a TwinMOS flash drive.

Note: in both circumstances, both the memory card and the flash disk had a capacity of 2GB. I had no luck saving samples when I used a Kingston DT400 4GB usb drive.

Maybe there is an upper ceiling of 2GB after all. :)
luislobo

Post by luislobo »

Working 2G flash driver.
Not sure what model/brand.

When connected to PC the flash drive is reported to be Kingston, but I don't know the model :(
Either way I attached a photo.

Regards,
LL
keysme

2GB Drive that works great! And Fast too!!

Post by keysme »

Hi all. I just recently bought another flash drive to use with my Fantom G. I decided I didn't want to rely on Roland Japan to instigate a fix for the Fantom G's flash drive capacity limit of 2GB for saving samples in a Project file . Anyway, to be on the safe side I went ahead and purchased a 2GB drive that works great with my Fantom G7. I can save Samples in a Project to the drive and reload everything back into the Fantom G no problem. The drive I bought is a 2GB Patriot XPorter XT (200X) drive and from what I've gathered it's the fastest flash drive currently on the market. Faster than my 4GB Lexar Lightning Drive (that does NOT work with the Fantom G i.e. it does not save samples in a Project file to the Lexar drive). Here's a picture of my new Patriot XPorter (200X) drive:

I did a benchmark to see how fast it would load samples into my Fantom G. I took 29 separate .wav files totaling 500MB and loaded them by way of the Import Audio function on the Fantom G. The time it took to load 500MB was 2min/40sec. flat. If you think that's dragging a little, remember, it's "500 Mega Bytes" NOT bits. ;) And then consider if you were trying to load that same 500MB"ytes" into the Fantom "X" you suddenly realize the difference, of course, would be like Night and Day. ;)

FWIW, I loaded those same 500MB .wav files from my Patriot Flash drive to my computer and it took only 18.8 seconds. I then turned around and loaded that same 500MB from my computer back onto the Patriot Flash drive and it took 24.7 seconds. So you can see the drive is screaming fast but because of the hardware limitation (bottlenecks) on the Fantom G, such as the processor and motherboard, etc. the Fantom G can't fully utilize the Patriot's drive read/write speeds optimally.

But needless to say, the quicker the flash drive you have the better load times you will experience with your Fantom G. :)
vinne38

USB Drive

Post by vinne38 »

It Says memory full but its not even though it says that it stii loads. I think. lol. Roland Fantom G. When it come to the Fantom G Im like. Young Buck confused
NTulsa

Memory Stick stops receiving power

Post by NTulsa »

Vinnie,
I get the same error when the Fantom G is not reading my memory card. The point is your are not saving your files even though it says you haved, when you get the memory full message.

I notice after leaving the keyboard on over night, the next day the memory stick turns off as it is not receiving power. Does the Fantom G stop supplying power in stand by mode?
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

I think that the thread needs some revival.
Since the new OS update is released, the changelog mentions that there is compatibility with larger usb thumb drives.

Let's get it start rolling then: have you checked for any new (i.e. larger capacity) usb sticks since you updated? :-)
Anton

Post by Anton »

Just tried the 4Gb Kingston Datatraveler. Works great, even with samples!
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Anton:
The DT100 or the DT400? I tried the DT400, ditto 4GB. Works excellently and of course it saves samples, too. :-)
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

8GB SanDisk here. Saves samples. Aw yeah...
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

The Audacity Works : which version exactly? Could you please post a link to the manufacturer's website? Thanks in advance. :-)
aftertouch

Post by aftertouch »

I also use a 8 gb usb stick. Didnt work before the recent os update, but now works really fast. The brand is dana-elec. I hooked up my v-synth xt and sampled some trough digital in.
Works like a racecar!
Dan Krisher

Post by Dan Krisher »

In the YouTube video I shot on Version 1.20, I'm using an 8GB Geek Squad usb flash drive from Best Buy. I could never get this to work prior to 1.20. Now it's fine. And it has the U3 software embedded on it also.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I have just re-tested with my external drive which previously the G reported it to be a 3.x GB when it was a 20GB partition.
I was also getting the MEMORY FULL! ERROR...

Same drive this time with 1.20 now report correct drive size 19.x GB and can now save songs/projects without the MEMORY FULL! Error..
Anton

Post by Anton »

Issue with the large drives are fixed I think.
Whats also inproved is the loading speed. I looks like the FG is loading my projects quicker?!! How is that possible??
Anton

Post by Anton »

Cyclops:
I have the DT400